Quantum Break [XO] (by Remedy) *large images*

Gameplay seems divisive, which is surprising. Some reviews mention it as a strength and others as a weakness. Maybe it's the expectations of a cover shooter vs a more fast arcade style shooter? Definitely curious to get my hands on it. I'm definitely a Remedy fanboy, so I'll try to be as objective as I can and post some impressions. It was one of the few games I've been willing to preorder.

Meh, reviewer opinions are wrong for me most of the time.

They did the same with the Order.

Can't wait for this game to come out...I have already preloaded it!

Post of the month :yes:

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Meh, reviewer opinions are wrong for me most of the time.

They did the same with the Order.

Can't wait for this game to come out...I have already preloaded it!

You never know. Good game studios eventually miss. Alan Wake was a pretty divisive game as well, not just the graphics but the gameplay.

As Eurogamer puts it:
"Perhaps it's a hangover of Microsoft's ill-fated grab for television, made infamous in the mantra that echoed awkwardly around the Xbox One's initial reveal and now, with the closure of Microsoft's TV studios, firmly abandoned.
In part Quantum Break feels like an artefact of a different age - an imposter from an aborted timeline, some chilling dystopia in which Don Mattrick was right all along and that forced smile never subsided"

Still, sounds like a nice "popcorn" game, play it once, enjoy, and forget.

This is kinda nonsense because Remedy has been kind of obsessed with the whole TV show thing all along. see, Alan Wake from many years ago, which they modeled a lot on Twin Peaks. This is just their next extension of it. It has nothing to with Microsoft's plans and everything to do with Remedy.

I've always thought it a bit odd choice, but that's what games are about, trying things to see what sticks.

Anyway the Metacritic is currently a 78, not as high as I expected but I guess not exactly bad. I tend to look more at the big players (Gamespot, IGN etc) reviews as you figure they're a bit more consistent than some hole in the wall site, and those are giving QB 8+. Still buying it.

BTW about the "aborted vision" stuff it's funny cause once I got the Happeguage OTA tuner the XBO truly became my all in one box like none ever has. With Plex, SlingTV, apps and now integrated OTA TV, it's truly the only media box I need, and I never have to switch HDMI inputs. So it may be forgotten, but it worked out pretty alright for me. The 360 could never achieve that all in one status. I was able to retire my Roku.

Why QB can look so good: At 720P, compared to a XBO or PS4 game at 1080P, Remedy can use the equivalent of a 2.6 TF GPU (of course ignoring complexities like temporal reconstruction shenanigans, bandwidth etc, and painting with a very broad but not meritless brush)

Why QB can look so good: At 720P, compared to a XBO or PS4 game at 1080P, Remedy can use the equivalent of a 2.6 TF GPU (of course ignoring complexities like temporal reconstruction shenanigans, bandwidth etc, and painting with a very broad but not meritless brush)

It doesn't look as good as a native 1080p title (easy to compare with QB on PC) but it looks a whole lot better than native 720p. It's not the end all be all of implementations and has numerous very visible issues.
I loved Alan Wake (and Max Payne 3) so this is an easy buy for me. Very strong single player story, gorgeous graphics, at least 'good' gameplay. That's good enough for me.

MP3 was made by Rockstar Vancouver not Remedy (remedy made MP1/MP2)

It doesn't look as good as a native 1080p title (easy to compare with QB on PC) but it looks a whole lot better than native 720p. It's not the end all be all of implementations and has numerous very visible issues.

MP3 was made by Rockstar Vancouver not Remedy (remedy made MP1/MP2)

That's fine, I loved MP1 and 2 even more :D

Sure looks better than MGSV at 1080p or some early gen multiplatforms. But quite a few high graphics caliber native 1080p games are still easily ahead. Have to give to Remedy tho, it doesn't really look down right 720p and hopefully be tolerable on my 65".

1080P is actually bullshit.
By some stupid error I watched the dark knight rises at 720P at a friends house this week. The movie looked fantastic, but there was some judder. Near the end I asked if he had 24P enabled (as he had a fairly new and high end samsung model). He didn't know. When he asked how we could check it, I said: just press the info button on the remote, and there it was "720P/60" that explained the judder.
Then I realised: even at 720P the movie still looked great.
So in a way; I'd rather see a developer (like remedy did with Alan Wake) go all out on 720P. Because in the end you'd probably have better lighting/shadows/etc anyway. Resolution seems overrated, and a shame to take up so much processing power if you think about it. Half the picture is blurred by DOF these days
In the movie 720P was not apparent because the whole frame is never fully in focus, and when you had a city skyline or something, 720p provided enough information to show a 'sharp' and detailed picture.

1080P is actually bullshit.
By some stupid error I watched the dark knight rises at 720P at a friends house this week. The movie looked fantastic, but there was some judder. Near the end I asked if he had 24P enabled (as he had a fairly new and high end samsung model). He didn't know. When he asked how we could check it, I said: just press the info button on the remote, and there it was "720P/60" that explained the judder.
Then I realised: even at 720P the movie still looked great.
So in a way; I'd rather see a developer (like remedy did with Alan Wake) go all out on 720P. Because in the end you'd probably have better lighting/shadows/etc anyway. Resolution seems overrated, and a shame to take up so much processing power if you think about it. Half the picture is blurred by DOF these days
In the movie 720P was not apparent because the whole frame is never fully in focus, and when you had a city skyline or something, 720p provided enough information to show a 'sharp' and detailed picture.
Movies are like infinitely supersampled render. You can not compare movie and game resolutions.

Just watched the performance video, impressive showing by Remedy and a very stable 30 fps. QB is performing much better than Alan Wake on 360

Back