Quantum Break versus Uncharted 4 visual comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Software comes under technology too. Not everything is about GPU flops or whatever.

Also: something something .... CPU ... something. :eek:
Yes but PS4 has it's 7th CPU usable at 100% vs 50-80% for XB1 so using an average of 65% in the end it's comparable to a roughly 3.9% overclock lead for XB1.;)

XB1 needs more training until she can fully unlock her core of Wonder!

Yes but PS4 has it's 7th CPU usable at 100% vs 50-80% for XB1 so using an average of 65% in the end it's comparable to a roughly 3.9% overclock lead for XB1.;)

Not to mention that even a 10% overclock lead could obviously not compensate a substantially weaker GPU, slower ram and far less GPGPU capabilities.

Even the Cell didn't compensate everything for the PS3...

IMO, any technical comparison between PS4/XB1 games is a waste of time for obvious reasons.

Wait, when was it confirmed to be 100%? I myself only read that it was an unspecified percentage, but fixed compared to X1's variable usage.

IMO, any technical comparison between PS4/XB1 games is a waste of time for obvious reasons.
The architectures are the same, so the software solutions to address each console's finite power in realising the developers' artistic vision are comparable. If Game A on Console 1 uses a fabulous volumetric lighting solution, then Game B on Console 2 with the same architecture has the same option. If that game doesn't implement that feature, it's either because the devs didn't like it in their aesthetic, or chose other priorities, or, something special, the devs of Game A pioneered the tech and we may look forwards to it appearing elsewhere later.

Regardless, there's certainly technical merit in observing the software solutions trying to max out the AMD APUs. About the only case I can think of where the comparison would fail is where PS4's compute advantage is significantly leveraged. Otherwise XB1 can do everything PS4 can do if just dialled down a bit.

I think we should only make a graphical comparison because there is no way QB is technically more demanding than Uncharted 4. We all know Uncharted 4 is developed on a more powerful console.
TO1886 wasn't particularly demanding compared to other titles last year. That didn't stop a lot of people from awarding it "best graphics of 2015".

Wait, when was it confirmed to be 100%? I myself only read that it was an unspecified percentage, but fixed compared to X1's variable usage.
Nothing official obviously. We have 2 unofficial sources from gaf members who are allegedly developers. One saying 2 modes (10% and 50%) are available since several months ago (and confirmed recently by 2 third parties, like for Dying light DLC) and the other saying 100% is available but only for first parties like a "Beta".

The guy who leaked about the 100% is a known Sony insider, previously leaked about TLG before E3 and has being verified by the mods for this leak on this delicate subject (before E3).

Last edited:

I actually totally disagree. A technical comparison would be great. Detailed breakdowns of how different games solve the same problems, and the pros of cons of each solution are awesome.

The problem is versus threads are never that. They're not technical. They're "I like this" threads, heavily biased towards brands of ownership. They most often degrade into shit slinging very quickly.

Not to mention that even a 10% overclock lead could obviously not compensate a substantially weaker GPU, slower ram and far less GPGPU capabilities.

Even the Cell didn't compensate everything for the PS3...

Tell Digital foundry that comparing games between systems is a waste of time.
It has been going on since the beginning of home consoles.

Oh and everyone knows the technical specs of both systems as well as the differences. The fact that the systems share almost the exact same CPU and GPU architecture is reason enough to do the normal thing of comparing graphical features of titles released on them.

I don't know where this argument about specs started in this thread, but there is a lot more to factor when comparing software running on both systems than ALU count and clock speed. From what we have seen from 3rd party titles released on this gen the difference in power normally results in a difference in pixel count.

I see nothing wrong with comparing 2 titles to each other that are made by 2 of the finest developers on consoles. It isn't necessarily about declaring a winner.

TO1886 wasn't particularly demanding compared to other titles last year. That didn't stop a lot of people from awarding it "best graphics of 2015".

Do we have the performance analyser to say this is not demanding or not and better access to code to say they can improve the performance and add more effect?

Teams do different things some baked GI because they don't have changing weather or day/night cycle and have few dynamic lighning. Other will need dynamic lighting with changing weather and day/night cycle. Some do Open world, some not...

It is not because someone do dynamic lightning than they will push further a machine than other people, the power can be used elsewhere....

Different game, different constraint, different artistic choice too like more stylized graphics for Uncharted 4 and so on....

Best graphics is highly subjective... I give TO 1886 best graphics because I am impressed by the work on materials and the high level of everything else...

About the only case I can think of where the comparison would fail is where PS4's compute advantage is significantly leveraged. Otherwise XB1 can do everything PS4 can do if just dialled down a bit.

But this is precisely my point... Uncharted 4 would need to be dialled down to run on descent conditions on Xbox One while this is the inverse situation for QB.

I don't take any risk by saying that Uncharted 4 is easily more computationally intensive than QB.

I see nothing wrong with comparing 2 titles to each other that are made by 2 of the finest developers on consoles. It isn't necessarily about declaring a winner.

Me too, as long as we stay on a graphical comparison or that we keep in mind that one title is inherently more demanding for obvious reasons.

Unless people think ND are less skilled than third party studios to the point that they can't even reproduce the usual gap between the 2 platforms...

But this is precisely my point... Uncharted 4 would need to be dialled down to run on descent conditions on Xbox One while this is the inverse situation for QB.

I don't take any risk by saying that Uncharted 4 is easily more computationally intensive than QB.

You don't know. We don't know how far UC4 is pushing the PS4. With optimization and learning maybe they could make a UC4 version on Xbox one that would be on par. And find even better results for a UC5 on PS4.
The same goes for QB. We don't know if it's the absolute maximum the xbox one can do, and I sure believe it's not.

As for now side by side both games show impressive stuff in their own way.

You don't know. We don't know how far UC4 is pushing the PS4. With optimization and learning maybe they could make a UC4 version on Xbox one that would be on par. And find even better results for a UC5 on PS4.
The same goes for QB. We don't know if it's the absolute maximum the xbox one can do, and I sure believe it's not.

As for now side by side both games show impressive stuff in their own way.

So, basically you are saying that ND is unable to use the extra power of the PS4... something that third party studios do everyday...

Anyway, this was my last post on the subject.

'Computationally expensive' has little to do with the discussion. It's about achieving an aesthetic with the best solutions one can find to work on the architecture available. So PS2 versus XB1 was difficult to compare because one used complex shaders and one used massive overdraw, and the software solutions were radically different. But on XB1 and PS4, the architectures are the same and the solutions the same, barring compute versus eDRAM BW. The visual comparison here should be of techniques and results, regardless how much or little processing power they require.

What Karamazov try to say it is the first PS4 only game of Naughty Dog maybe they will find optimisation making UC4 possible on Xbox One and do a much better second game on PS4.

After if UC4 was the first Xbox One games of Naughty Dog it would be the same game but dial down...

Technically, this is the second Ps4 ND game, and the third that is running on that engine (TLOU:R/UDC). But like any other dev, the next game will be based on a more optimized engine.

Technically, this is the second Ps4 ND game, and the third that is running on that engine (TLOU:R/UDC). But like any other dev, the next game will be based on a more optimized engine.

TLOUR is the remaster of a PS3 games. It helps because it was purely a technical work and gives opportunities to do a good fiber system on CPU side.

But on graphical side of work and graphical pipeline will improve vastly in UC4 and they have 33 ms target in single player. I think it will be gorgeous.

Other things I like on the two games is good use of physics with cover...

Do we have the performance analyser to say this is not demanding or not and better access to code to say they can improve the performance and add more effect?

Teams do different things some baked GI because they don't have changing weather or day/night cycle and have few dynamic lighning. Other will need dynamic lighting with changing weather and day/night cycle. Some do Open world, some not...

It is not because someone do dynamic lightning than they will push further a machine than other people, the power can be used elsewhere....

Different game, different constraint, different artistic choice too like more stylized graphics for Uncharted 4 and so on....

Best graphics is highly subjective... I give TO 1886 best graphics because I am impressed by the work on materials and the high level of everything else...

What's so demanding in TO1886? The baked lighting? The handful of characters on screen at once? The almost non-existent physics? What TO does, it does great, it's just what it does is nothing to write home about.

To give some evidence to the "not demanding" argument, here you go:

"I would say that a version of TO without the black bars would have been pretty much indistinguishable from the version shipped, as far as performance/image quality"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=191125296&postcount=277

And yes, dynamic GI with changing environments is more demanding than baked lightmaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back