Qualcomm SoC & ARMv8 custom core discussions

If they're getting rid of big.LITTLE, I wonder if Qualcomm will go back to quadcores for their flagship SoCs.

So this new chip is called S820 and features Kyro cores, whereas the S620 will have four A72s and four A53s. I guess this means Kryo is more powerful than A72, which would be quite an improvement over Krait. I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Last edited:
So this new chip is called S820 and features Kyro cores, whereas the S620 will have four A72s and four A53s. I guess this means Kyro is more powerful than A72, which would be quite an improvement over Krait. I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

"will begin sampling "on a leading edge FinFET process" in the second half of 2015. It should be in consumer devices by this time next year."

Why so vague ? Could be either 14 nm Samsung/GF or 16 nm TSMC. Actually learned today that 14nm Samsung/GF FinFET is FinFET transistors with a 20 nm backend (interconnect). Fast and efficient interconnect appearently requires new materials, which Samsung (and TSMC ??? ) didn't have the time for yet. So, 14nm @ Samsung is just a marketing name, likely it gives you the benefits of a half-node.

"will begin sampling "on a leading edge FinFET process" in the second half of 2015. It should be in consumer devices by this time next year."

Why so vague ? Could be either 14 nm Samsung/GF or 16 nm TSMC. Actually learned today that 14nm Samsung/GF FinFET is FinFET transistors with a 20 nm backend (interconnect). Fast and efficient interconnect appearently requires new materials, which Samsung (and TSMC ??? ) didn't have the time for yet. So, 14nm @ Samsung is just a marketing name, likely it gives you the benefits of a half-node.

TSMC is in the same situation, and their 16nm process also relies on a 20nm BEOL.

So this new chip is called S820 and features Kyro cores, whereas the S620 will have four A72s and four A53s. I guess this means Kyro is more powerful than A72, which would be quite an improvement over Krait.
That's not a PowerVR product, it's Kryo, not Kyro :D

I can't wait to see how it all turns out.
Same here. We were given so few details, very frustrating...

So, 14nm @ Samsung is just a marketing name, likely it gives you the benefits of a half-node.
200-300mV reduction is hardly a half node. Don't really understand why people are ignoring the power and perf benefits so much just because the die shrink is only 15%.

200-300mV reduction is hardly a half node. Don't really understand why people are ignoring the power and perf benefits so much just because the die shrink is only 15%.
I think not everyone is quite believing this is really all due to the new 14nm node, as opposed to samsung being lazy before and not properly optimizing it... That said if just half of it is really due to the new 14nm node this would already be quite a big deal...

I think not everyone is quite believing this is really all due to the new 14nm node, as opposed to samsung being lazy before and not properly optimizing it...

Lazy ? As in game developer lazy ?

The reduction in power is due to the FinFET transistors used. You can lower supply voltage without suffering massive leakage. The low density is probably due to the interconnect lagging behind.

Cheers

Dutch website:

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/101871/htc-one-m9-heeft-last-van-oververhitting-bij-zware-belasting.html

Sounds like that the HTC One M9 with its Qualcomm SD 810 gets rather hot under load. Even up to 55 celsius. They measured this with an IR camera:

2000587739.jpeg

IMHO.. > 50 celsius is too hot too handle, unless you need a heater or a way to slowly cook an egg..

It could just be a malfunctioning unit or SoC. This is just the first batch of the S810, after all.

I expect the M9 to be cooler than its competitors using the same S810, due to the aluminum unibody being used as a heatspreader.

It wouldn't be the first or the last time that a reviewer gets a faulty unit, or an early review sample with buggy software.
But you probably know better than I do about this M9 issue..
There was nothing faulty about the Honor 6 in the end - the antenna just was horrible. I got only slightly better reception on the Mate 7 and other users of the Chinese version of the H6 had the same issues.

We'll see what HTC does, they're claiming it's a software issue. Which plainly means they're not throttling the SoC hard enough.

We'll see what HTC does, they're claiming it's a software issue. Which plainly means they're not throttling the SoC hard enough.

Meanwhile, the throttling is really bad on other devices. Not just because the peak CPU performance decreases to like half of what it could get within maybe a minute, but also because the single threaded performance goes down every bit as much as the multithreaded performance. Talk about poorly managing the power budget.

Do you know what the emergency temperature limits tend to be set to for devices like this? Where it'll just shut down? It could be getting pretty close...

I've heard of devices/chipsets that actually let it go quite a bit higher. Seems dangerous with the battery and all.

Back