Quake 4 or Doom 3 - full screen motion blur?

AlNom

Legend
Would it be difficult to implement motion blur to either games? I'm not sure if I'm using the right term for it... it's the motion blur effect that occurs when you turn quickly. Is that just a shader/fragment program that one could just pop into the directory :?:

I remember there was a q3 mod made to show off 3dfx's t-buffer tech

Have a look at this :

"Readme File:
Ok now this is my first mod so i'd thought i'd start with something simple, I know what your all thinking (OMFG another flashlight mod) and you'de be right. What this mod offers different is this:
Each weapon includes a brand new, far more realistic tactical light texture with motion blur and shader that gives it, a bit more belivable feel, this simulates hand tremors and slight distortion created with movement."

http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Ultra_Realistic_Tactical_Lights;32899

Last edited by a moderator:
Implementing motion blur using the accumulation buffer (which would be similar to the t-buffer) is absolutely trivial and could be implemented in a moment. Unfortunately the quality is not super-great for fast-paced games. Implementing more advanced algorithms like storing motion vectors in a texture and blurring in a fullscreen pass would look better, but would be a bigger task. For Doom3 I don't think it would be too bad though since it has relatively few shaders to modify.

mm... I'd like to experiment with it.. alas I have next to no coding skills in this regard. Would I be looking at modifying or adding one of those mtr files :?:

Would it look like your motion blur example on your site (from way back) ? That looks kinda horrid indeed. :p

I guess I was thinking of the motion blur you might see in games like Perfect Dark Zero, Gears of War, Halo 3, Project Origin etc... where the blur is only applied when you turn, and not necessarily when you move.

I'm pretty sure it's refering to game ticks or packet updates, not renderer fps.

Back