Q3 as benchmark

Re: CS != RtCW

Humus said:
Doomtrooper said:
I've played online games for years, professional level team matches and there is no replacement for HUMAN AI.

Human AI?
Human artificial intelligense, what would that be, a stupid guy pretending he's smart? ;) :D :LOL:

Anyway, Doom, the reason we need to have a fixed environment for benchmarking is that we don't want randomness in the equation. If we benchmark our games in online gameplay, then we get loads of randomness. If we have randomness in the results we will need some form of statistical analysis to sort it out, which means we will need lots of samples, that is, we need to rerun the benchmark tens of times to get meaningful results.
Playing at say CTF-Face it's possible to end up with a average of > 150fps one match, and < 50 fps one the next, depending on how you play. Camping in the base you'd easily get 150fps average, but a shockwhore in the middlefield can easily get below 50fps on average with the same settings.

Heheh, Ok it was late...umm Human Intelligence :oops:

I understand the concept of not having randomness but lets improve the time demos themselves to reflect a more realistic online play vs some lame demo that runs through a few bots and quits. If that means getting a demo from some ace players then so be it. I think some of the better demos have come from REV himself at 3dpulpit.
The old quake 2 massive was another good one in its day.

ftp://ftp.gamesnet.net/pub/bluesnews/video/massive1.zip

I'm specifically talking online games here, I have no problem with timedemos that may reflect single player conditions on a single player game.

Re: CS != RtCW

Doomtrooper wrote:

I'm specifically talking online games here, I have no problem with timedemos that may reflect single player conditions on a single player game.

I'm glad you wrote that part, though I tend to think that demos which imitate heavy online frays can quickly turn a benchmark into more of a CPU/system bandwidth test, which thereby makes its usefulness in a video card review somewhat questionable, IMO. Once scores start flatlining regardless of video settings, the test just doesn't seem of much use for evaluating a video card's rendering prowess.

Back