Putting old gpus / graphic cards in a good light on a shelf

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by Rootax, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Davros

Legend

besides the point, when you get a refund your refunded what you paid for it
    It did

2. HLJ

HLJ
    Regular Newcomer

You didn't do a refund, so that is not applicable.

PSman1700 likes this.
  3. Davros

Legend

Ok so if you return a product it's ok for the company to exchange it for another that is 20% of the value ?

4. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Your £300 bought you the right to a graphics card with the performance and specifications of a GTX260.

I didn't buy you a £300 gift card that you can redeem whenever you please at some arbitrary point in the future.

If the company offers you a like-for-like replacement then that is entirely reasonable.

Depreciation is a thing. If you've been around PCs for as long as you say you have you know this already.

Sxotty and HLJ like this.
  5. HLJ

HLJ
    Regular Newcomer

You buy a performance bracket, it not that complicated.
    Your performance bracket degrades over time.
    Just like buying a car...it's value drops and you can seldom resell at pruchase value...the older the card...the less value.

6. Davros

Legend

But we are not talking about reselling I wouldnt be selling the gpu back to evga,
    Imagine they had no cheap cards would it be ok for them to say sorry we dont have a suitable replacement so will you accept 20% of your purchase price - Hell no

7. HLJ

HLJ
    Regular Newcomer

You always get RMA to match the performance bracket, not price as long as I can remember back.
    Your SKU does not live in a vacuum where value just stays the same, disregarding inflation and age.

It loses monetary value pretty much at the same rate as it drops in its performance bracket.

8. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

I think Davros just wants that to be what every one thinks so he feels better arguing for it. Good luck on the quest if you ever get there. Who knows, but honestly the cheapest cards now are probably an upgrade so no real loss. Btw this is normal in other industries as well, but it isn't as easy to match a new model sometimes without simple benchmarks. For example on a bike frame you would likely get one with similar weight and travel.

9. Tagrineth

Tagrineth murr
    Veteran

No, "lifetime warranty" typically means "for the lifetime of the product". Which is also, incidentally, why a product's support cycle ending is referred to as "end of life".

Once the product's lifespan is over, it's not under warranty anymore.

It's still a fair sight longer than the typical 1-3 year warranty, but it's insane bordering on raw stupidity to expect a warranty to be honoured *decades* after the fact.

10. Davros

Legend

And the lifetime of a product ends when it dies which could be anything
    looking on the forum someone's just rma'd a 7900
    Funny enough I have a frying pan with a lifetime guarantee and I asked if that meant forever and was told "Yes"

#30 Davros, Jul 27, 2021 at 9:00 PM
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021 at 9:16 PM