pure. sex.

darkblu

Veteran
http://www.apple.com/macmini/

why am i posting this to a console forum - one reason - efficient unit desing. has a lot to do with consoles.

this baby is the desktop incarnation of a console. reminds of the gamecube. basically the counter-point to the xbox (being the console incarnation of a pc).

also pay attention to the pricepoit.

And the Sony president, Ando San, was on the keynote stage together with Steve Jobs. They cooperate now in the HD video business. Ando was joking that Apple should stop selling hardware. ;)

Fredi

Wow :oops:
That was unexpected of Apple. I wouldn't be surprised if that will become quite succesful, now that they've got their name back into consumers minds with iPod.
I can see this as a perfect home computer for homes, it does all the things an average home computer user needs. Sure this is not for the nerds that want to tweak, overclock and have the most powerful rig for latest games, but it seems to be powerful enough for regular use.
And cheap too (ok, you still have to buy a decent monitor if you don't already have one, mouse, keyboard... adding soon another $500... well, it's not so cheap anymore :( ), and it's suprisingly expandable.

For a home with a dvi input display device in the living room this is very desirable as a second home computer.

...and it is pure sex by the looks of it.

I thought the iPod Shuffle had more to do with consoles, personally. 512 MB Flash drive iPod for $99. .78 ounces in weight. $150 for the 1 GB version.

Take away all the *stuff* and Apple's hefty markup and you might find reason for a small Flash drive in next gen consoles as a hard drive substitute.

Or keep it all and have new interoperability between devices. I'm sure MS wants a money maker like the iPod, and I'm sure Sony wouldn't mind iPod plugging into the PS3 for... whatever.

Mac Mini
indextop20050111.jpg

Apple's Pippin
pippin.gif

2203-420x304.jpg

hmmm.

What high profile games are on Mac?

There's Halo, UT2k4 (how does this run?)... anything else?

Doom 3, World of Warcraft... Anything OGL-based usually gets over without too much issue. Macs actually do get a substantial amount of games, but it just utterly pales in comparison to Windows anyway, so it will always seem small.

And sadly, since most Macs ship with lackluster video cards because of it (and only the towers can actually swap their video cards out easily), even when they GET newer games they still tend to suffer.

My opinion is "Lukewarm". The look seems plain and bland, so I am not too impressed from the stylistic point of view. :| It reminds me of my metal CD case which is just clunky, no stlye, and boring lines. Just my opinion of course... IMO, the black/platinum GCN looks better (me ducks).

The MacMini is small, that is a big plus from a looks/deskspace perspective, but no expansion of course. I wonder how loud the fan(s) are?

But for what you get for what you pay for, I consider it a total turn off.

-256MB of DDR333 RAM => Too little, too slow.
-40GB HD => Small.
-8x DVD, 24x16x24 CDRW => Slow.

Then consider:

-You have weak access to the strong library of x86/Windows apps.
-No real upgradability.
-No real gaming on this system (and very little on the Macs in general).
-Limited GPU (Radeon 9200).
-For the same cost you can get a similar/better SFF.

*$180 -- Shuttle Case/MB w/ integrated graphics
*$110 -- P4 2.26GHz (2.533GHz for $125, 2.8GHz for $154)
$23 -- 256MB DDR333 (512MB for $49, 1GB for $85)
$33 -- 16X DVD / 52x24x52x CDRW
$36 -- 40GB HD ($45 for 80GB, a mere $9 more)
Total = $382

Or the same system with AMD parts:

$100 -- AMD XP 2800+ (3000+ for $115, 3200+ for $143)
$183 -- Shuttle Case/MB
Total = $375

I left off the OS cost because (a) many people already have one laying around (b) you can get it cheap ($100 for WinXP Home edition when you buy HW, or $60 range on Ebay for a new copy) or (c) a small percentage of people would want Linux. Any way you get it you come ahead with the Shuttle--which I personally think looks a lot better. Leap and bounds better. And that does not mention the ability to expand some.

Also, if you were going to go for the full $500 you could do quite a few addons. Get a better Shuttle, CPU, Memory, HDD, etc... or even add a decent videocard (a 9600Pro for $100; I have seen Radeon 9700Pros for under $150 on Ebay).

The MiniMac is a great deal for those wanting a Mac for general purpose computing. Outside of that I do not see the appeal. I think it will do well since Apple has reinvigerated the Apple brand with iPod, but I think there are better PC deals, especially SFF. Image is important, and it seems Apple is cool now and people like the look in general, so I would think this would do well. But if does well a major component with be marketing plus sex appeal--because SFF PCs from Shuttle, Asus, and others are just as "cool" looking, at least imo :)

But I do think the shuttles are much better looking. They have a wide selection of looks. This page also has some shuttles in different settings. Now that I think of it, Shuttle should do a barebone mainstream system to compete with MacMini. EDIT: I checked, and guess what? They have some decent little shuttles for $600. If they had more brand awareness and a little more aggressive pricing and/or features they could really make a name for themselves.

Acert93, you are kidding, right?

the sff is nowhere near the level of integration of the mini. the latter has less than half the volume of the former. the only piece of computing consumer electronics that has a comparable level of 'density' to the mini at the moment is the gamecube (handhelds aside).

darkblu said:
Acert93, you are kidding, right?

the sff is nowhere near the level of integration of the mini. the latter has less than half the volume of the former. the only piece of computing consumer electronics that has a comparable level of 'density' to the mini at the moment is the gamecube (handhelds aside).

sure, half the density and half the performance

Nightz said:
Does Gamecube make mac game conversions and vice versa easy?

Since they both use IBM and ATI.

Marginally. And even if it really did, no exclusive game to GC would go anywhere else than the GC, whereas any other multiplatform game could just be ported from PC, like it usually is. So it doesn't matter.

And, reality check, when did the Console Forum become battleground for PC vs Mac fanboi wars?

Apple is targeting a totally different market than traditional PCs with this product. I really like it, but I'm just not in the market they're going after. :)

One thing would make this a killer system: A single PCI Express slot.
Not only would it make low-end Macs plausible gaming systems from a hardware point of view, it would also rid Apple of the hardware inferiority image, that fixed spec hardware quickly develops.

Apple could put out an official hardware upgrade package after maybe 1.5 to 2 years, and would, a. have long-term satisfied customers that don’t feel "cheated" when a new product rapidly appears after the purchase, and b. they could sell the same hardware over a longer period of time, only with the official upgrade build in at due time.

Back