http://www.doublefine.com/products.htm

SA_MegaCensor.jpg

AsylumTK.jpg

sewer-figments.jpg

RazTurnstile.jpg

TK-censor-in-SA.jpg

CA_canoe.jpg

HOLY COW POO!
Now THIS be tEH action platformer to be eXcited with! By the famed Tim Schafer of the PC arena. It just look sooooo crazzzzzy! Only on Xbox, Christmas 2004.

IGN interview!

FULL interview - http://xbox.ign.com/articles/365/365161p1.html

IGN: You've described Psychonauts as taking the best elements of both console and PC adventure games. What will that mean for gamers?

Tim Schafer: The thing I've always thought was fun about PC graphic adventures was the story and the characters. Plus I love console adventure games and I think the two have a lot to teach each other. Graphic adventures kind of stopped trying to innovate, especially their interfaces. People are always pretty happy with just pointing and clicking to get around an adventure game. Once you play a console game like The Legend of Zelda or even something like the original Tomb Raider or Mario 64, I was thinking PC adventure games had better watch out, because these are adventure games. Just really really simple adventure games. And as they get more complicated and more adult in the storyline, they're going to have everything PC adventure games have and they're going to be super easy to play. And so it's kind of weird, because adventure games are sort of gone, yet they've moved on at the same time. All of the stuff that was cool about adventure games has made it into almost every kind of game now. There's more and more epic storylines. There's not a lot of deep believable characters yet, but I think that will come. I think people are already tired of playing another console game where you just have to pick up 100 X's. And then the next level it's like, okay, what am I doing now? Go pick up 100 more, but this time they're in lava! There have been a lot of fun games that have been made like that, but eventually people are going to want something deeper. They're going to want a reason to solve these levels where you're executing some sort of story or you're getting some sort of feel for the characters. In Psychonauts, you literally get to know what's going on in the heads of the characters, so you'll care about them. Certain characters have problems and you'll want to help them out. By the time you reach the end you'll see how certain characters have changed.

IGN: So Psychonauts is not about collection?

TS: I like to have everything that's fun about console games and everything that's fun about graphic adventures. And I do like collecting stuff. But I want to know why I'm collecting and I want it to payoff. I don't want to have to do it like I have to vacuum my house, like it's all over the floor and I have to pick it up. I want it to be meaningful, that you're picking up stuff. Some people just throw a story in to a game because they actually just want to be writing movies or something like that. Just laying out these long grinding cut scenes. That's not what I want to do. I want the story to emotionally grab people so they'll be driven to finish the levels so they can see all of the stuff they're emotionally invested in.

IGN: The art of the various levels is closely tied to each of the characters that represent them. Describe how the characters and their worlds work.

TS: Raz is the kid who's a natural born psychic. He has the ability to hear people's thoughts and move small objects with his mind. He wants to get his training so he can become a Psychonaut one day. Psychonauts are this super secret agency who do their espionage using mental powers. That's all he wants to do with his life, so there's this camp he goes to in order to train but it's like a camp for kids with merit badges and things like that. The kids work on their merit badges in various things like telekinesis and levitation. Raz wants to be a Psychonaut. He doesn't really want to be a circus performer so he represses all of that down but eventually you have to help him deal with that.

The levels are the characters and the characters are the levels. Each character you meet sort of serves as portal to another world. So you meet the character who thinks he's Napoleon Bonaparte and you go into his head and he is Napoleon Bonaparte and you're in France and you have to fight the battle of Waterloo. ( :LOL: ) You meet the character who is a painter and all he does is paint on black velvet. You go in his head and the world is in black velvet. You go in their heads and see what their mental demons are and what they're up against in their own minds and when you come out you have a different understanding of them. Maybe you've changed them by fighting their mental demons in a boss battle. By helping them face some hidden repressed thought in their own heads it's sort of like you're this internal mental therapist working with these people

FULL Gamespot preview - http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/psychonauts/news_2874731.html

As we mentioned earlier, Psychonauts is a 3D platformer at its core, but its gameplay will actually be quite expansive. On the traditional side of things, Raz will have a robust move set that is similar to what you'd find in a standard 3D platformer. You'll be able to run, jump, catch on to ledges, and so on. However, you'll also be able to perform acrobatic moves that reflect Raz's upbringing in a circus. You'll be able to walk on tightropes, skid down rails, and even catch on to poles and swing off them to other locations like a Junior Olympian.

In addition to Raz's physical abilities, you'll have his psychic abilities at your disposal. Raz's mental powers will be useful on both the psychic and physical planes. In the real world, you'll able to use Raz's telekinesis and levitation to help solve puzzles and explore. For example, you'll be able to create psychic ball that you can ride around a level and use to increase your jumps. For an added boost, you'll be able to flatten the ball and use it to perform a super jump. However, there's a great deal more to the game than platforming. One of the major gameplay and story elements in the game revolves around using Raz's psychic abilities to jump into the minds of individuals and explore them. You'll find that on the psychic plane, Raz's abilities are extremely useful in dealing with various creatures found in people's psyches.

The game's structure seems to be a slightly twisted hub system. As you explore the campgrounds and surrounding areas, you'll encounter people whose minds you'll enter. Each mind is basically an entire new level to explore. Schafer cited the Zelda series as an influence on the game's development, noting that you could view each mind as a "dungeon." In addition, you'll find that there are quite a few hidden areas to discover in the real world.

FULL Gamespy preview - http://www.gamespy.com/e32002/xbox/psycho/

All Screenshots... Psychonauts is definitely one of the more original games we've seen so far at E3. First of all, for those who are fans of either Tim Burton films or Invader Zim, you'll feel right at home here. The graphical style is very similar to that strange, twisted genre. In fact, at the loading screen, you'll see the silhouette of the hero, Raz, with glowing yellow orbs where his eyes would be. It looks EXACTLY like Gir from Invader Zim. The Psychonauts team said we were the only ones so far to make the connection … that's GameSpy for ya', always on the cutting edge of pop culture.

Psychonauts is essentially a 3D platformer, but Double Fine Productions has gone the extra mile to make it like no other you've ever seen. Raz is a budding psychic detective (no relation to Yu Yu Hakusho) who wants to gain psychic merit badges (no relation to Pokemon) to be a full-fledged psychonaut. He has an array of 16 psychic powers that allow him to progress through several levels, battling foes along the way.

Of the psychic powers we saw during the demonstration, Raz had powers of telekinesis (via a glowing yellow claw that emanates from his forehead), flame and invisibility. Raz accesses these powers through an unusual interface - at the press of a button, a thought balloon appears containing icons that represent the powers he's capable of. But the balloon isn't just a menu system - it's actually a game object that Raz can grab, sit on and bounce on in order to reach high platforms. Raz can also lay the thought balloon on the ground to use as a landmine for unsuspecting foes, or use it as a parachute.

Many of the levels will have features that require a combination of powers. For instance, in order to cross a pit of thorns, Raz must first set fire to a rock, and then move it via telekinesis to burn the thorns out of the way.

Way COOL!

Best Original Game
Psychonauts

(Double Fine Productions/Microsoft for Xbox)

Tim Schafer is a man so creative that weíre almost inclined to kick him out of the gaming industry. Why? The bottom line is that he makes everyone elseís games look so damn derivative. In Psychonauts, Schafer has concocted a circus-like hodgepodge of zany characters and game environments to tell the story of Raz, a gifted little lad who must have just missed the application deadline to Professor Xavierís school for the gifted. As a result, Raz is apparently shipped off to psychic summer camp to develop his psychic abilities, in the hopes that he one day might become a Psychonaut. At psychic summer camp, psychic-wannabe Raz earns special psychic merit badges, one of which we hope is a badge decreeing a moratorium on use of the word psychic in the game. But seriously, things get interesting when Raz gets to jump into the minds of 16 individuals at the nearby insane asylum, and in turn use his psychic abilities like firestarting and invisibility to defeat some real inner-demons. The third person action adventure gameplay is a departure from Schaferís previous work, but his trademark originality is still here in spades.

- Geoff Keighley, Associate Chairman, Game Critics Awards
Editor-in-Chief, GameSlice

psychonauts-logo.jpg

Raz-And-Crispin.jpg

"Psychonauts will o0wned J0o0!"

Very much a "love it" or "hate it" style, methinks. Myself, I have a fondness for insanity and non-typical style, though, so I think it's cool. ^_^

HIGHLY possible it may win Platformer of The Year 2004 with its crazy game design, UNLESS mayB we have a new Mario to compete against. ELSE the path be easily clear for Tim Schafer to show his class in the console arena.

TOO bad the game may just be overlook, ESPECIALLY when we consider platforming genres don do too well with Xbox audience. :)

If it's good enough it won't be. Problem with games like this is it MUST be good enough or it WILL be overlooked. Viewtiful Joe is the first oddball, uniquely-styled game in a long time to do well critically and popularly. (And deservedly so.) But the vast majority of games that stretch out too far lose the mass appeal, regardless of reviews. (And if they don't have popular appeal, they don't get follow-ups, nor to they encourage developers to try similar stretches.) Something tells me its path will be a more difficult one to tread.

who needs other people, this guy could keep his threads full and active alone.

I agree about the art style, I think its hideous, it seriously makes me cringe just looking at it, I don't know why, it puts me in pain.

I won't say I find it pretty, or even unique (going far off the center of normality just for the sake of it means you're overdoing it), but it looks interesting.

What I find rather humorous though, is Chap's tendency to give away game of the year awards based SOLELY on select screenshots from the developers... That's worth at least 50 of these: :LOL:

Guden Oden said:
Qroach said:
I think the art style is awesome. Very "night before christmas" like...

I have no memory of Tim Burton ever using all those bright, happy primary colors... :LOL:

It certainly doesn't look like "Nightmare before X'mas" at all, if you want that, Capcom will have a game based on "Nightmare before X'mas" on PS2 soon (heh! 2004 Autumn in Japan), where you can use Jack to fight in the realms.

My impression from the shots of that Tim Burton game from Capcom was like Onimusha with "Nightmare before X'mas" theme.

Isn't this the 2nd or 3rd thread about Psychonauts already? Those who have played previous games by Tim Schafer will know why many are excited about this game and probably share that sentiment. There is a resemplance to Tim Burton's odd-ness to be found in his games in tone, atmosphere and art style. It's still Schafer's own style, though lighter and funnier (or rather funny in a different way) than Burton's. And BTW, even though Burton is well known for his dark and moody films, he actually uses "bright, happy primary colors" in several of his movies (Edward Scissorhands to name just one) in contrast to the overall dark look. I think you will find that the "bright, happy primary colors" in Psychonauts are far outnumbered by moodier and less bright screen elements too, so that's actually another similarity rather than the opposite IMO...

Gollum said:
Isn't this the 2nd or 3rd thread about Psychonauts already?
Not in a long while, I don't think. And not with lots of screenshots to either grin at or shield your eyes from... whatever works for folks. ;)

VJ is different. At its heart still a straight action game. This Psychonauts not, it be combining the cleverly done PC type puzzles with console platformer. Not as fast n furious n easier to get into as VJ. WHAT more VJ came at the time of so-so GC releases, while Psychonauts has to content with what POSSIBLY the Year of the X, in 2004! :LOL:

I'm not saying VJ is like Psychonauts, I'm just saying Psychonauts will likely have to be as rock-solid a game as VJ was, or its visual stylings will only hurt it. VJ had a unique look and plenty of style and could easily have put people off and stuck the title to a back burner, but it was supported by a solid gaming package which just made the game all the more cool; they ended up reverberating with each other. But if the gaming side isn't up to snuff, there's a good chance the "uniqueness" will just overbalance and drag a title down popularly. There are plenty of arthouse hits and niche games that never attract real sales... and that's the reason they don't get made as often and so many titles go down the pre-paved roads.

Back