PSU buying crisis

need a new PSU
online shops hardly ever mention connectors so it's proving to be a nightmare
i just wanted to know if the additional 4 pin 12V connector was a de-facto standard these days, or could i still get burned and end up with a PSU without one?
my new MoBo needs it
my old PSU has one but i was gonna get a bit more juice
the Inquirer reported this connector as an ATX12V but if i search for PSUs with that, they often end up being 24 pin Intel server ones too
i just want a normal 20 pin ATX with the additional 4 pin
don't need SATA but am likely to have to splice a Molex for my gfx card as many PSUs only usually come with 4 total

tia,
d3v

edit: just had a bit more of a search and would i be safe in assuming that i can forget the ATX12V spec?
as long as the PSU specifies "Athlon64"+/"Intel Pentium IV" then it's safe to assume the additional 4 pin connector will be present? as, apparently it is a mandatory requirement for all systems using these processors

can someone just reply to approve/disprove my theory pls?

thx, once again

d3v

deviantchild said:
as long as the PSU specifies "Athlon64"+/"Intel Pentium IV" then it's safe to assume the additional 4 pin connector will be present?

Yes, that's a good way of going about it. Also, don't worry so much about the 24-pin ATX connectors. There is often a 24-to-20 converter included or you could acquire one separately.

If you are very concerned, why not post specific PSU models you are looking at and I am sure others around here will snoop and confirm that it fits the bill.

ALL recent high-capacity PSUs have the 4-pin power plug, don't worry. It is probably possible to find PSUs without it, but that pretty much means you have to go out of your way looking for it, and it'll likely be small 250W units or such.

thanks for the vote of confidence guys :)
i was kind of forced to buy a cheapy as i've spent a lot of money recently
i ordered a "Hiper" PSU as they seemed to be rated quite well for low cost PSUs - we'll see ;)
i think it comes with cables for just about any eventuality too
cheers

edit:
specs: http://www.hipergroup.com/4s525s.pdf

Back