PSP Firmware 3.90 out now + Skype*

patsu

Legend
I'm downloading. Supposed to improve support of Playstation Network titles.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess would be a hardware standard. They've had to stall release (in Japan?) as the microphones supplied don't meet Skype's standards. I can imagine that in the redesign Skype were contacted and they specified some hardware requirement to be added, though I've no idea what. If so, perhaps a hacked firmware could enable Skype on PSP-fats? If not, what hardware revision could account for non-Skype compatibility?

Right now memory seems to be the one thing I can think of, unless the wireless speed has been upgraded. It depends of course on how much skype has been implemented - if video is supported through the PSP Eye thingy, then memory could definitely be a factor.

I'm fairly sure memory would be the constraint; afterall why would the PSP-2000 have more of it if not for additional feature support?

Why wouldn't it work on a non slim? I think it'd be pretty ridiculous if Sony decided to ignore the millions of 'fat' psps out there.

My guess would be a hardware standard. They've had to stall release (in Japan?) as the microphones supplied don't meet Skype's standards. I can imagine that in the redesign Skype were contacted and they specified some hardware requirement to be added, though I've no idea what. If so, perhaps a hacked firmware could enable Skype on PSP-fats? If not, what hardware revision could account for non-Skype compatibility?

I thought it was well understood that Skype was for the Slim PSP only? Its been covered in almost all official statements regarding Skype functionality.

Before you ask, the reason Skype will only work on the PSP Slim & Light (and not the original model) is due to memory constraints. The original PSP (PSP-1000) has 32MB of memory, whereas the newer Slim & Light model (PSP-2000) has 64MB. Nick Sharples had the following to say.
“Although PSP-1000 and PSP-2000 are identical in basic functions, there are differences in hardware specifications to some extent and, for that reason, PSP-2000 may differ in features from PSP-1000. We had studied the possibility of supporting Skype with PSP-1000 but had to give it up because of the smaller size of main memory on PSP-1000 series.”

Unless you're talking about the other 3.90 updates. The press releases states that Go!Messenger will be added to both SKUs.

** Go! Messenger functionality will be available with all models of PSP (PSP 2000 and PSP 1000 series)

He he, guess who missed the important press releases! Still, Internet audio chat can't work with 32MBs of buffer?

He he, guess who missed the important press releases! Still, Internet audio chat can't work with 32MBs of buffer?

Whats the OS take up? Is that info available? IIRC, they cut the initial reserved amount down. But, I'm not sure if that was simply the amount reserved when a game is active. I would assume the overhead and memory requirements balloon when in the XMB (since functionality balloons). Speaking of which, when/if they fully integrate the PSP into PSN (PSN sign-in w/ friends list) I wonder if they'll enable in-game XMB access for the PSP, and I wonder if it will be for the Slim only.

8 MB IIRC. Skype conversation isn't parallel to game playing, is it? I thought it was a separate function, and not an in-game voice chat system.

8 MB IIRC. Skype conversation isn't parallel to game playing, is it? I thought it was a separate function, and not an in-game voice chat system.

I'm also under the impression its a separate function. An app integrated into the XMB like music and movie playback (thats how it appears in the videos,at least). Which is why I wonder how much memory the full XMB takes up (outside of games). Unless that reserved 8MB is constant in and out of games. But I can't imagine that being the case when there is no XMB functionality in games (so I guess that 8MB goes towards other overhead).

On a related note, to your original question. It appears that internet chat can work just fine with 32MBs. Voice and video, apparently:

Also added through system software update 3.90, is the Go!Messenger icon, highlighting the commitment shown towards communications on PSP**. Go!Messenger, with the ability for video and voice chat

Which seems to speak to the inherent overhead of Skype vs a custom app.

The 8 MBs is reserved at all times, so games have access to 24 MB. Again, assuming I'm remembering this right from dev comments on this board!

On my Windows XP PC Skype uses 45mb when I'm doing nothing. Much will depend on how efficient they have toned it down, which features they've implemented, and so on. I assume they used a previous phone implementation as the basis, but maybe they went for a complete set, or maybe they're running a Java runtime implementation which would create a lot of overhead.

If it is a success, who knows they can streamline things, or make the program a little more lean/modular so that it can load different parts from the memory card when needed and such.

PSP 3.93 update expected tomorrow

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/03/17/new-internet-radio-stations-and-firmware-coming-to-psp/

First, the firmware: on March 18th, PlayStation Portable owners will be prompted to update their firmware to v3.93, which expands support for PLAYSTATION Network titles.

At this time, users of the PSP Internet Radio feature will find 20 new internet radio players to enjoy. The new players are organized into more specific styles of music so that PSP users can easily find what they are looking for and listen to their favorite genres.

I'm glad for those new radio players, but one player with a decent interface would have been a lot better. This slow-ass flash crap is a little ridiculous. It works fine, but you should be able to just pick your favorites instead of this weird scrolling.

Well... I can't upgrade after downloading the firmware. Gave me an SGT90000001 error.

And yes, I think 20 radio interfaces s*ck. They tried too hard again. One easy-to-use player interface that everyone can use is best. They need simplicity, not bloated-ness, to go mainstream. What's up with PSP marketing people ?

Back