PSP battery life expectations

For me to consider purchasing the PSP, I demand/expect ATLEAST...

• 4-6hr battery life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6-8hr battery life

• ATLEAST 10 hours

• Total voters
At least 10 hours, but then again what do I know. :) ARM for one has been making CPUs that use almost no power for years, and I think these super-small MIPS will be more or less the same. The biggest variable by far (perhaps more than all other factors combined) is what sort of screen they are going use. That will go a long way to determine the system's battery life.

EDIT: Misread the poll, need sleep. :LOL: For me to consider buying the system I would say 4-6 hours would be the minimum, but I feel around 10 is possible on an outside chance.

marconelly! said:
Yeah, I misread it too :) I voted for 6-8 hours because that's what I'm hoping for, but I'd be OK even with 4-6.

Thats why I specifically said not what you 'hope for', but what you demand/expect in order to consider purchasing it!

Wait are we talking about 2 aa batterys , 4 aa batterys , a special battery. I want 10+ hours on 2 aa batterys otherwise I wont buy it . Not worth the money. If they pack in the special battery and it gets 6 hours that be fine . Not voting in post because I don't feel there are enough options . (they can get 20 hours of battery life if they use 9or 12 batts . )

jvd said:
Wait are we talking about 2 aa batterys , 4 aa batterys , a special battery. I want 10+ hours on 2 aa batterys otherwise I wont buy it . Not worth the money. If they pack in the special battery and it gets 6 hours that be fine . Not voting in post because I don't feel there are enough options . (they can get 20 hours of battery life if they use 9or 12 batts . )

Er, since the PSP was announced Sony said it would use a built in rechargeable lithium polymer battery (same one used in the iPod).. :p

2 hours of gaming
8 hours of musics

That would be the max, I'll do on a portable on any given day.

I am hoping though, I can play the PSP games on TV, the way GBA adapter does.

2~3 hrs depending on graphics intensive games
~120 mins standard movie time for UMD movies
8 hrs mp3 playback, maybe less with disc medium.

PSP batt life aint going to be preety imho.

zurich said:
jvd said:

Er, since the PSP was announced Sony said it would use a built in rechargeable lithium polymer battery (same one used in the iPod).. :p

As i said in another post. If the ipod gets a certian amount of hours out of it this system will get prob half of it .

I'd only consider buying it if it had at least 6-8 hours' battery life.

Even then it'd be a tough call, though.

But I seriously doubt that kind of life is feasible, unless the system is ridiculously heavy.

Agreed. Its battery life, above anything else, is the biggest 'uh-oh' in the system though. All of Game Boy's would-be competition has been heavier and had less battery life, while having better specs... and look which system won out time and again.

Yeah, but nintendo never went up against sony before. I think that the sony brand name may be big enough that it could sell the biggest piece of crap in the world and still give gameboy a run for its money.

I don't have a clue about what is possible and what is not, but me, as an average consumer, wouldn't buy something with batteries that run off after just 6 hours. It has to be above that.
I mean, hardware wise it seems very cool to have a device like that, but if we are talking gamegear here... In fact, I "feel" that if there is one thing that can hold the release of such a machine, it's not specs (well, yes, they do matter), but how far you can take it. In my opinion, first thing to do in the "List of things to not miss" is to check the long battery life option.
As Nintendo did...

Well it's hard to commit to a number as of yet since they specify a Li-Ion battery, but obviously don't specify it's power output so anybody's guess, plus nobody know's the requirements of the hardware (although one could guestimate within tolerance of say 40% (which isn't that useful anyways) is applicable...

Plus changing various components is at a later stage is quite possible with minimal impact with some critical power specific components (e.g. switching from TFT LCD to OLED, or going with their Lithium-polymer battery technology instead of Lithium-Ion)...

However, anyway you cut it, this:

8 hrs mp3 playback, maybe less with disc medium.

is grossly too low... You should be looking at least 20 if not 40+ hours for this... (assuming nothing retarded is going on like running screen effects to music)

Fox5 said:
Yeah, but nintendo never went up against sony before. I think that the sony brand name may be big enough that it could sell the biggest piece of crap in the world and still give gameboy a run for its money.

like the first run the playstations ?

I was referring to the handheld world, as were the ones that listed gameboy beating sega and all the other companies.

jvd said:
Fox5 said:

like the first run the playstations ?

Are you a mod? Why do you make meaningless statements (aka flamebait) like this? Isn't this thread about PSP battery life? How does this in any way contribute to a useful discussion, which I assume is the point of this board?

:?: :?: :?:

We have enough bullsh-t in this board as it is...

Back