PSP and emulation

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
Ok here it goes. I have a PSP and it's got firmware 3.03 in it. I am not interested in getting ISOs in it for piracy. I dont want mY PSP to do that. I only want my PSP capable of playing emulators.

But I dont know if there is a way to get 3.03 to read emulators. I have tons of Neo Geo, genesis and nes roms I d love to be able to play on my PSP.

Is there a way?

The only emulator that will run on your PSP (and close to flawless so) is the PS1 emulator done by Sony itself. But you need a PS3 (at least for now) and $5.99 per title (very limited choices) to use it.

The highest firmware that can run anything homebrew is 2.80. The only option for you at the moment is Flash based games in the browser (slow and not much fun).

playing roms would be piracy.

Except for the Atari ST ... CaSTaway on PSP would therefore be a nice one. :p

But no, right now with a 3.03 you can't do much. You'd have to find a 2.8x or lower PSP and downgrade that. At least for now - you never know what happens of course. Fortunately, there is still a lot of good stuff out there for 3.03, including lots of PSP game demoes you can download for free.

Oh damn :(

I signed up in yourpsp and downloaded a few demos and mp3`s but there arent much interesting things. Their demos arent anything special.

They need to add more content (and I dont mean just game demos, videos and music).

Is there anything I might have missed I can adownload on my PSP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh damn :(

I signed up in yourpsp and downloaded a few demos and mp3`s but there arent much interesting things. Their demos arent anything special.

They need to add more content.

Is there anything I might have missed I can adownload on my PSP?

What did you get? I personally like the Killzone, Loco Roco (the original is best, then the Halloween demo, then the Christmas demo), and MotoGP demos. World Tour Soccer 2 demo isn't bad either.

I personally like to get the 1up show, from www.1up.com (go to '1up show'), where you can download a PSP compatible version of the video. The 1up podcast is nice too. You can even browse to www.1up.com, go to podcasts, and sign up to the RSS feed (typically, click the XML link). Then go out of your browser to RSS and go into the 1up Yours icon. Then when selecting an episode, click triangle and choose save - this is more convenient than streaming it (unless of course you don't have the space ;) ).

What did you get? I personally like the Killzone, Loco Roco (the original is best, then the Halloween demo, then the Christmas demo), and MotoGP demos. World Tour Soccer 2 demo isn't bad either.

I personally like to get the 1up show, from www.1up.com (go to '1up show'), where you can download a PSP compatible version of the video. The 1up podcast is nice too. You can even browse to www.1up.com, go to podcasts, and sign up to the RSS feed (typically, click the XML link). Then go out of your browser to RSS and go into the 1up Yours icon. Then when selecting an episode, click triangle and choose save - this is more convenient than streaming it (unless of course you don't have the space ;) ).

I have the full game of Locoroco. But I downloaded the halloween and xmass demos too. I got bored of MotoGP. I am not a fun of football games either :p
I liked the Killzone demo but it was extremely short. I get tired of its demo´s easilly.

I didnt know about the 1up show though. Forunately I have a 1GB mem stick so I guess I have enough memory.¨:)

Thanks for that one. I ll check it out. I am hoping for something different and more entertaining though to appear soon. Like arcade games, or new apps. Sony knows PSP has so many possibilities but they arent doing much for it. They are mainly adding small upgrades to the firmware.

But they will help a lot if they offer the ability to download PS1 games directly to your PSP.

Apparently you can downgrade every firmware all the way up to 3.03 now. I just upgraded my 1.5 (I kept one at 1.5 for programming) to the special 3.03 homebrew version that can do all sorts of extras like play full-res AVC video, PS1 ISOs and so on. Not that I'm doing any of that - I just needed to have WPA on my 'homebrew' PSP (which again I mostly use for programming, PDF watching, and CaSTaway. ;) )

There's a new firmware out now though, 3.10, which has a lot of new security features. Best non-security feature is the option to save memory by compressing graphics on a webpage.

Ok, a slight correction on the above. Since I had a copy of one of my favorite PS1 games lying around, Micro Machines V3, and was curious about whether it would work, I turned it into an ISO and PS12PSP'd it. Now it lives on my PSP's memorycard under the GAME folder, and it actually just works great! I'm impressed. Sure, because it's a PAL copy the graphics are a little low on the screen so that if you upscale them, they fall off (but not if you don't), but other than that the game runs perfectly. The pond levels still look great (moreso even in tiny hi-res). :cool:

This bodes well for 'official' PSX emulation. It looks like they got a good emulator running, so now it's just a matter of releasing the games to the public, preferably also for direct download to PSP. I can imagine a lot of people are really thrilled to be playing Final Fantasy VII and family on PSP right now. Awesome!

Back