PSA: Potential Password Leak on GoG

There's an option to allow downloads while playing somewhere in Steam settings, and probably one to disable auto updates.
gotta try to find it then. That's another issue I have with Steam, the interface is far from sleek, but maybe it's just me. I remember having that option enabled in the past. But lately one of the reasons I stopped to go to Steam is that I had some updates available I truly wanted but couldn't play to get them downloaded, so it kept me from playing my games nor I wanted to be waiting for downloads to stop because I have a 6MB ADSL connection....

I'm fairly sure this thread has happened before here.

Needless to say you guys nail the problems of challenging Steam.

GOG targets a different audience. DRM free and a community of nostalgia for the most part. They seem to try to nurture various social avenues for the nostalgia, with the forums and public wish lists. If their games and philosophy appeal to a person, then I think opinion changes.

Origin gives away free stuff. I have like 15 older games they gave away for free. Westwood collection, Wing Commanders, Jade Empire, SimCity games, and some others. Their program needs some work on GUI scaling.

Uplay is probably the least useful. Nothing special or positive about Ubi. I don't really like any ubisoft games so I don't use that much. It works as well as the others though.

Impulse/Gamestop imploded and just stopped working. That was bullshit and ironic after Stardock's philosophical gamer nonsense years earlier. Some Reddit guys figured out an old version of the program still at least could log on and so I could get the serials of the 3 games I had there and register them on Steam.

GOG is getting better with more modern titles but yeah still far behind Steam, tbh some of those protected games and their mechanisms do put me off a bit anyway (only bought on Steam Doom 2016 on principle once Denuvo was removed but a different thread needed for those aspects).

Just to say separately.
Steam's biggest problem is that they see the revenue by letting anything onto Steam and so do not care about the consumer as a majority of the titles are total crap, it is ridiculous hard work trying to find any decent games that are not high profile or favourite of the month on Steam.
When a studio can get away with putting on over 150 asset flipped titles in a year and only a few of these "devs" have been removed from Steam, this says they are still not targetting an aspect that is making it frustrating to use Steam beyond AAA and current high profile Indy games.
Jim Sterling did an analysis and came up with that almost 40% of all games on Steam were released in 2016, this shows how much Valve is skewed between the balance of revenue and a good consumer game service; an aspect Jim Sterling mentioned back a few years ago could be a nasty trend at Steam.
He goes on to mention over 4,000 games were released in 2016 on Steam....

His use of language is err colourful to say the least but he is a good gaming industry journalist IMO (some may find his POV and perspective too extreme), starting at the point where it is more relevant.

I typically look at Steam's Discovery queue and it shows me products that tend to appeal based on my library. I like that I can customize it with tags I'm not interested in. I rarely wade through the incoming stream of new releases because yeah I don't know what to make of most of the stuff being shoveled into there.

And they have movies and series now. They want to take on that market too, apparently. Maybe they will just buy Netflix eventually. Heh.

Last edited:
Back