PSA: Potential Password Leak on GoG

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
There's talks of password leaks from GoG systems.

https://www.thenerdmag.com/gog-password-leak-may-happened/

There are an increased number of reports coming in from the official forums of GoG (formerly Good Old Games) that suggests a GoG password leak has occurred, we highly recommend you enable 2-Factor Authentication if you haven’t already and change your password.

There's talks of password leaks from GoG systems.

https://www.thenerdmag.com/gog-password-leak-may-happened/

There are an increased number of reports coming in from the official forums of GoG (formerly Good Old Games) that suggests a GoG password leak has occurred, we highly recommend you enable 2-Factor Authentication if you haven’t already and change your password.
thanks for the tip. I had the 2-step verification enabled, but I changed my original password just in case.

Hm, GoG. Haven't been there in what...? Half a decade?

Bought Outcast and Duke Nukem 3D off of them when they first came out, then nothing since. Can't remember any of my login details, honestly. :p

Hm, GoG. Haven't been there in what...? Half a decade?

Bought Outcast and Duke Nukem 3D off of them when they first came out, then nothing since. Can't remember any of my login details, honestly. :p

GoG has improved some of its services with regards to games installation/patched/etc, worth checking it out IMO.
I decided to support GoG and buy more games there, Valve has become some kind of Cthulu monstrosity with Steam and loss sight of it being a service to gamers and more of a dumping ground for any old crap making it difficult for those that are actually trying to develop games more sincerely whether that be AA indy or those that are smaller.
Right pain to find more unusual good indy/AA games in recent years on Steam unless they are already in the top selling list.

Bah maybe GoG will also grow into a Cthulu monstrosity :)

Valve was never deserving of the praise they still receive to this very day. We just didn't understand it at the time, the truth was staring us right in the face, that the central founder came right out of microsoft management, but still we didn't see. We didn't want to see.

I haven't bought anything off of steam in years and years now. I've despised them ever since they made the best-selling games the default view in the storefront. Plus they have pretty much the worst customer support in the business still, despite acknowledging themselves years ago that they do indeed suck.

So screw them.

I'm a somewhat happy steam camper... too lazy to use more than one place for gaming

Still amazed when I saw something in the lines of "if you live in the EU, you give up you right to return this product". How stupid is that? As if random entities have the power to take rights away

It's funny that nothing like that would hold in court, but maybe we're not that far off the moment when it will. So our amusement shall last for a moment only

Valve was never deserving of the praise they still receive to this very day. We just didn't understand it at the time, the truth was staring us right in the face, that the central founder came right out of microsoft management, but still we didn't see. We didn't want to see.

I haven't bought anything off of steam in years and years now. I've despised them ever since they made the best-selling games the default view in the storefront. Plus they have pretty much the worst customer support in the business still, despite acknowledging themselves years ago that they do indeed suck.

So screw them.
Grall, can you tell me where do you buy your games then!? Does it mean that you're into Origin? I mean, you dont like Steam and you dont use GoG regularly..

In regards to Steam, I am not a big fan. Not that I dislike it that much, it has some good things. But there are details like downloads stopping if you are playing, the downloads section always busy with stuff, the overcrowded interface showing too much info at the same time, that I dont like about it.

Something I like is the recommendation from friends thing. But again, the interface is slow in my eyes, and your library interface is quite unappealing and lackluster. I mean, your game's list just appears in a bar with the name of your games.

I kinda prefer GoG because of their philosophy and interface, however the multiplayer component of GoG isn't there yet.

Multiplayer? What's that for?
:) well, as long as you have a PC that meets or preferably exceeds the minimum standards, and an internet connection, you're good to go with steam and the friends list and stuff is more mature. Obviously it depends on the person. You seem to play single player games for the most part, so do I, but I have some friends that are into classic arcade gaming who go online on Steam from time to time or get games on Steam that are versions of legendary classics, such as Wild Guns Reloaded. So it can be a way to interact with them, which is something I miss from GoG. However, counting free games and stuff I have like 40 games on Steam, and more than 200 on GoG

Grall, can you tell me where do you buy your games then!?
Basically I've only bought Blizzard titles for the last several years, with a few console games which I never played much and DOOM and the newest Wolfenstein in physical copies which I did register through Steam in order to download them, but I bought them in a store here in town. Ok, I did buy Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood too over steam, but that was also a couple years ago. ...That's basically that, I think.

I have like 150 games in my wishlist for when Steam and Valve stops sucking (never, I suppose). First step on not sucking anymore: fucking releasing the last episode of Half-Life 2. Jesus friggen christ, the ineptitude of dropping the ball like that on one of the biggest game franchises ever on the PC. Un-fucking-believable!

Also, Steam backup feature sucked major donkey schlong last I tried it (several years now, but it had been untouched by Valve for like an eternity at that point.) Basically it only used a single CPU core for backup/compression making it ridiculously super slow, it had no filtering, search or select all/invert selection and so on features. You had to checkmark each game you wanted to backup manually yourself in a tiny fucking little window that only showed a handful of games at a time. If you have 120+ games in your library like me, that's a lot of scrolling and clicking...

Oh, and backup could hang at any point during the backup and never finish, forcing you to kill the Steam client and end up with a corrupt backup that needed to be deleted... And you couldn't update or add games to an existing backup either.

Same thing when restoring btw. Assuming backup actually made it through to the end that is so that you had anything to restore... You needed to manually checkmark every game to be restored using a tiny little window that showed only a handful of games. Very very very tedious.

No idea if this still applies, but seeing as GabeN probably figures that the backup feature isn't making them any money they probably haven't touched it either.

I like GOG. I often buy games from them if they sell what I'm looking for and I think to go look at their site. :) The last one was probably Outlast 2. That GOG Connect thing they do got a bunch of my Steam games onto my GOG account. DRM free versions so that's a win. Their GOG Galaxy client gets the job done.

The majority of the wonderful PC gamer populace seems hostile about anything not Steam though.

Last edited:
The majority of the wonderful PC gamer populace seems hostile about anything not Steam though.
While I might consider now switching to another store, the main reason I stuck to Steam was that by focusing on one marketplace I only needed one client with one login and one password. Two clients would have different layouts and functionalities, I'd need to create another account, keep track of another password... What a fuggin bother, honestly! :p

I don't see the big deal there but that's certainly a common viewpoint.

Last edited:
Basically until another service starts to come close to the functionality of Steam, there's no reason to not buy my stuff there.

GoG has definitely improved but they are still pretty far from the functionality that Steam offers. Heck I still don't know if GoG has good support of VR, Big Picture Mode, Streaming your game to another device, etc. Yes I know you can use 3rd party apps to do the streaming, but again. Why? Why should I have to install yet another app to accomplish the same functionality as just having one app?

And add to that, I like having all my games in one place so I don't have to load up multiple clients to use them. Right now it's annoying as all hell that I have to load up the battle.net application just to play Destiny 2. Until that game came out I was just going to uninstall everything Blizzard related off my computer. Just like I don't use UBIsoft anymore since I forgot my password and their system won't e-mail a password reset thing (@#$#%) so no longer have access to FarCry 3. And just like I'll never install Origin because I really don't want yet another app.

As much as Steam can be annoying at times, they do so many good things compared to all the other online storefronts. And a lot of it was due to implementing what users wanted. Even the much maligned Greenlight Program and the now more open game submission program was all due ONLY to user request. That was the only reason those got implemented.

Steam isn't perfect, far from it. But they get far more right than any other online storefront currently. I am, however, glad that the other online storefronts exist as it fosters competition which keeps them all on their toes. [the following isn't directed to anyone on this forum] But I really dislike people trying to tell me that Steam is bad and I should be using another online storefront. Bleh.

If my same user credentials could be used at the other storefronts (same gatekeeper, would rather not have same password on multiple systems) then I'd consider maybe using them. That's the only reasons I even touch the Windows Store. Since it uses the same log-in service as my e-mail account and its a part of Windows, then meh, whatever.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure this thread has happened before here.

Needless to say you guys nail the problems of challenging Steam.

GOG targets a different audience. DRM free and a community of nostalgia for the most part. They seem to try to nurture various social avenues for the nostalgia, with the forums and public wish lists. If their games and philosophy appeal to a person, then I think opinion changes.

Origin gives away free stuff. I have like 15 older games they gave away for free. Westwood collection, Wing Commanders, Jade Empire, SimCity games, and some others. Their program needs some work on GUI scaling.

Uplay is probably the least useful. Nothing special or positive about Ubi. I don't really like any ubisoft games so I don't use that much. It works as well as the others though.

Impulse/Gamestop imploded and just stopped working. That was bullshit and ironic after Stardock's philosophical gamer nonsense years earlier. Some Reddit guys figured out an old version of the program still at least could log on and so I could get the serials of the 3 games I had there and register them on Steam.

Last edited:
In regards to Steam, I am not a big fan. Not that I dislike it that much, it has some good things. But there are details like downloads stopping if you are playing, the downloads section always busy with stuff
There's an option to allow downloads while playing somewhere in Steam settings, and probably one to disable auto updates.

While I might consider now switching to another store, the main reason I stuck to Steam was that by focusing on one marketplace I only needed one client with one login and one password. Two clients would have different layouts and functionalities, I'd need to create another account, keep track of another password... What a fuggin bother, honestly! :p
still...give GoG a try. They don't constantly ask about your password and their GoG Galaxy client works doesn't insist about typing your password either, once installed you are good to go for months or whatever. btw, 1st message from my laptop.

Back