PS5 Pro *spawn

That price is crazy. At least include the bloody stand!

But seeing the high prices at the launch of the generation, they'd be mad to not launch at the highest price the market can possibly, potentially, bear.

Cerny's mention of 67% more CU's is interesting though. 67% of 36 is 24, so 60CU's total. Does that mean they've gone with a 3SE 30WGP design and they're only using perfect chips?

At that price point, it is going to be lower demand product especially as it is no disc drive at that price. Really needed to be 100 less. Still good value but not at the mass market price point needed, was worried that might be the case with the new Sony president wanting to improve PlayStation margins. At least it will be much easier to buy and won't cannibalise the base console sales for them. Not sure if I will get one day one now as I can see them doing promos on it at that price point.

It is not a higher SKU nor do they need to convince anybody to upgrade

It will just replace the current one price-wise and the current one will become 449, that is it sorry man
I want to be clear. I held my tongue here, but in my mind: If you were right I wouldn't say nothing, but if you were wrong I'd change your username to PlaystationKing.
I think I am more than happy to read your opinions as PlaystationKing, but it's too jarring to read as XboxKing.

I think any real XboxKing would have known that Series S was made because prices weren't dropping, they talked about this at the Series console reveal. Seems like MS was right on this one.

It is a higher SKU, and they definitely need to convince people to upgrade at this price point.
PS5 did not drop in price; it's $699 digital, vertical stand sold separately.

You were wrong, oh so badly wrong, let me know if you'd accept this change in post.

That price is crazy. At least include the bloody stand!

But seeing the high prices at the launch of the generation, they'd be mad to not launch at the highest price the market can possibly, potentially, bear.

Cerny's mention of 67% more CU's is interesting though. 67% of 36 is 24, so 60CU's total. Does that mean they've gone with a 3SE 30WGP design and they're only using perfect chips?
IIRC. From my understanding, no (?).
3SEs would be more ROPS and RBES and more geometry engines.

2SEs would keep everything as is, but increase the CU count. So it's an even more lopsided xbox series x. 16 dual CUs per SE. 1 DWG cut per SE

Was anyone expecting that price point, because for me that was shocking. That really narrows the market for this, IMHO. What is the strategy here?

:confused:

Thing is, they're already running into that limit. It's the whole reason they forecasted lower sales for 2024, after already falling short of expectations in 2023. This is almost entirely due to the lack of decrease in price.

So to offer a new console for literally $300 more than the base console(a 75% price increase) seems ludicrous. Can we not hold water for these companies being just blatantly and shamelessly greedy, please? This is gonna get a bunch of backlash and they'll deserve all of it.

What's crazy is that even if they reduced price by $100 in response to backlash, it'll still be a bit ridiculous without a disc drive. Yet that might actually be the strategy here, as consumers really are dumb enough to cheer for 'awful' as an improvement from 'ridiculously bad'.

If we adjust for inflation of past consoles...

PS2's $299 in year 2000 is approx $550 today.
PS3's $599/499 (60/20GB) is in year 2006 is approx $908/$760 today.
PS4's $399 is in year 2013 is approx $530 today.
PS4 pro's $399 is in year 2016 is approx $512 today.

So pricing 699 is on the high end but not exactly unprecedented.
Mind you all these high end chips pretty much have to come out of one company so it's not exactly unexpected.

Plus I'm not sure what kind of system one can build at $699 with the GPU pricing today. Once we know the exact specs we can get a better idea of the value.

Presser:
  • Upgraded GPU: With PS5 Pro, we are upgrading to a GPU that has 67% more Compute Units than the current PS5 console and 28% faster memory. Overall, this enables up to 45% faster rendering for gameplay, making the experience much smoother.
  • Advanced Ray Tracing: We’ve added even more powerful ray tracing that provides more dynamic reflection and refraction of light. This allows the rays to be cast at double, and at times triple, the speeds of the current PS5 console.
  • AI-Driven Upscaling: We’re also introducing PlayStation Spectral Super Resolution, an AI-driven upscaling that uses a machine learning-based technology to provide super sharp image clarity by adding an extraordinary amount of detail.

The PS5 Pro console will be available this holiday at a manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $699.99 USD, £699.99 GBP, €799.99 EUR, and ¥119,980 JPY (includes tax). It will include a 2TB SSD, a DualSense wireless controller and a copy of Astro’s Playroom pre-installed in every PS5 Pro purchase. PS5 Pro is available as a disc-less console, with the option to purchase the currently available Disc Drive for PS5 separately.

PS5 Pro will launch on November 7, 2024 and will be available at participating retailers and directly from PlayStation at direct.playstation.com. Preorders will begin on September 26, 2024.

---- adjusted Specs for 5Pro

16GB memory @ 573 GB/s
60 RDNA3/4 (likely) CUs
RDNA3/4 RT Units
likely RDNA3 based
PSSR Library (not yet confirmed for any particular tensor hardware, likely just DP4A or variant of as per RDNA3)
2 TB hard drive

Last edited:
Yeah it’s basically a validation of Nvidia’s push last few years. Did PC already get those RT upgrades to Hogwarts announced for the Pro?

I wonder if any devs will target 30fps on the PS5 Pro that PS5 can’t match.
It's looks like they want to remove the 30fps modes altogether on PS5 Pro. One mode: 60fps same quality as 30/40 fps modes on PS5. Or adding effects (like RT in GT7) in games already running at 60fps. It's really a good strategy (also not talking in details about the specs). PS5 has only a handful of 30fps capped games so it's really moot.

as many have asked for a console that runs even higher fidelity graphics with smoother frame rates at 60FPS.

That price though... Almost double the price of the PS5 digital in Europe. They have gone crazy, or they are not manufacturing a lot of those. Probably the latter.

pushing players to pc 😌
That's exactly what they are doing. I still don't see their endgame. Their first priority should be to keep their customers on their closed platform.

Reactions: snc
Was anyone expecting that price point, because for me that was shocking. That really narrows the market for this, IMHO. What is the strategy here?

:confused:
I want to be real with you guys, yes I was totally excepting that price point.

MS claimed losing $100-$200 on each XSX. These are very close to the same size of console and Sony had repeatedly kept increasing the price of their hardware. That would suggest that MS hadn't really been able ot stop losing money on series consoles. So yea, 499 -> 699 seemed really plausible. What hurt is that it does not have a disc drive or stand. That combined is going to come in closer to $799.

Mind you all these high end chips pretty much have to come out of one company so it's not exactly unexpected.
I cannot ever take any 'adjusting for inflation' metrics seriously these days. Wages have not increased along with inflation in the past few years, so it's meaningless. And when inflation is just the measure of how much things have gotten more expensive, using inflation to explain why things are getting more expensive is asinine. These companies are just trying to see what they can get away with. That's it.

Last edited:
I cannot ever take any 'adjusting for inflation' metrics seriously these days. Wages have not increased along with inflation in the past few years, so it's meaningless. And when inflation is just the measure of how much things have gotten more expensive, using inflation to explain why things are getting more expensive is asinine. These companies are just trying to see what they can get away with. That's it.

Welcome to capitalism, where a healthy dose of inflation is inevitable.
You want deflation? Go ask Japan how that went.

Plus I'm not sure what kind of system one can build at $699 with the GPU pricing today. Once we know the exact specs we can get a better idea of the value.
It’s a $200 bump over the inflation adjusted 4Pro price, that’s kinda unprecedented. They tried this with PS3 and it failed hard until they introduced price drops.

Tbh this just reinforces my thoughts that console gaming is slowly dying. This generation isn’t bad (I’ve got posts defending it) but with how good PC porting has gotten (yeah it has problems but let’s be real, I will take that over the Wild West that was PC porting prior to the PS4/XBone gen, but I wasn’t PC gaming back then tbh) there are fewer and fewer reasons to buy a console.

If you buy used you can easily build a comparable PC for $700. The console killers are back!

It’s a $200 bump over the inflation adjusted 4Pro price, that’s kinda unprecedented. They tried this with PS3 and it failed hard until they introduced price drops.

Tbh this just reinforces my thoughts that console gaming is slowly dying. This generation isn’t bad (I’ve got posts defending it) but with how good PC porting has gotten (yeah it has problems but let’s be real, I will take that over the Wild West that was PC porting prior to the PS4/XBone gen, but I wasn’t PC gaming back then tbh) there are fewer and fewer reasons to buy a console.

If you buy used you can easily build a comparable PC for $700. The console killers are back!
Not sure if we'd get anywhere past the GPU and RAM for similar specs though.

Back