[PS3] Uncharted 2

One person as Drake, the other as Elena. That'd make it automatically into a great date game.

For a minute I thought you meant a dating simulator. :)

Excited for this. Loved the first and I'm a sucker for high production values. I'm confident, based on nothing at all, that this will be a progression. And, frankly, whatever the platforming/shooting mix I'm already signed up because I fell for the story and charaters.

Great, looking forward to it...

Hope they will keep up the great voice acting and overall high quality production values. I could find no real flaw in it the first part, altough I was not expecting a Tomb Raider clone so I was not dissapointed at the shooting ratio.

The almost non existant loading time was also a very nice feature...

All I want when it comes to improvements is co-op. I really liked the shooting elements of the first one and the kiling wave after wave of bad guys!
And no, besides the cover system, Uncharted and GeOW have nothing else in common... They play very differently. The more I play GeOW2 the more I miss Uncharted.

Both real time though and I am extremely positive that the character detail was the same as in the cut scenes

^Yeah, real-time on ten super fast GFX cards :p

Honestly that is a "very simple" scene to render. Not much going on in that trailer. The snow deformation is nice and all but that is nothing unknown of and can be found in several other games... some old.

Some new more complete trailer with more views would be more interesting to see.

Oh Naughty Dog, not again. This is all begining to sound like the crap with "supported resolution vs native resolution" (you guys should know this better than i do considering that you were the ones that started the native res hunt in the first place. Respect!).

ND said the same about the cutscenes in the first one - they are realtime, only to correct themselfes later, saying, yes well, they were in-engine but prerendered (lol).

All things considered, i don't expect the cutscenes in Uncharted 2 to run realtime neither (unless they are downgraded visually compared to 1), because frankly the quality of the textures and lighting displayed in the first one's cutscenes is not quite possible on current consoles, not without loading times & [major] framerate and pop ups issues.

Which brings me to the logical question: Why would they even bother making this teaser running realtime on PS3? Answer: They wouldn't. If thi particular scene will indeed be in the final game, it will be just as "realtime" as the cutscenes in Uncharted.

So, regardless of what ND says at this point, my educated opinion on the matter is that this teaser is indeed realtime a.k.a in-engine but prerendered ^_^

Oh Naughty Dog, not again. This is all begining to sound like the crap with "supported resolution vs native resolution" (you guys should know this better than i do considering that you were the ones that started the native res hunt in the first place. Respect!).

ND said the same about the cutscenes in the first one - they are realtime, only to correct themselfes later, saying, yes well, they were in-engine but prerendered (lol).

All things considered, i don't expect the cutscenes in Uncharted 2 to run realtime neither (unless they are downgraded visually compared to 1), because frankly the quality of the textures and lighting displayed in the first one's cutscenes is not quite possible on current consoles, not without loading times & [major] framerate and pop ups issues.

Which brings me to the logical question: Why would they even bother making this teaser running realtime on PS3? Answer: They wouldn't. If thi particular scene will indeed be in the final game, it will be just as "realtime" as the cutscenes in Uncharted.

So, regardless of what ND says at this point, my educated opinion on the matter is that this teaser is indeed realtime a.k.a in-engine but prerendered ^_^

Uh. They never corrected themselves. They said they were recorded to hide loading. They also said that only the lighting and shadowing were slightly improved, but that the textures and models were exactly the same. So don't get ape shit about nothing. Cutscenes and ingame graphics are just about indistinguishable in Uncharted, so no difference this time either - whether they have to improve the shadows for upclose shots of the characters or not.

Uh. They never corrected themselves. They said they were recorded to hide loading. They also said that only the lighting and shadowing were slightly improved, but that the textures and models were exactly the same. So don't get ape shit about nothing. Cutscenes and ingame graphics are just about indistinguishable in Uncharted, so no difference this time either - whether they have to improve the shadows for upclose shots of the characters or not.

That was even re-iterated in the very link you posted, in an update:

[UPDATE] - I'm noticing a lot of people saying, "So what if it's real-time? It's a cutscene not gameplay." If we refer back to a Richard Diamant interview I gave in 2007, the differences between cutscenes and gameplay were few and far between in the original game;

"Patrick: The characters in Uncharted are some of the most impressive video game models to date. They look even more impressive up close in the cutscenes. Are the in-game models any different from the cutscene models?

Richard: Thanks! Nope, the in game models are the exact same models that are used in the cutscenes. They also use the exact same textures. There really is no difference between them at all.

The only difference between the cutscenes and in game is a little higher quality lighting and shadowing. Hopefully not too noticeably different. We really wanted to keep the players immersed as much as possible. This meant using the same assets across the board."

I know they kept saying that, but the strange thing is that the game doesn't load even if i skip cutscenes.
Again, if you believe that the cutscenes in Uncharted would have run just as good in realtime, then you might as well believe that COD4 is 1080p native.

Did I say that? I'm sure there would be framerate problems - due to improved shadowing and lighting. But the point is, the cutscenes are representative of the gameplay, showing that what you're seeing in the teaser is representative of the gameplay.

And there is loading in Uncharted - you can't skip cutscenes at the begining of them...you have to wait. It is very quick though.

Did I say that? I'm sure there would be framerate problems - due to improved shadowing and lighting. But the point is, the cutscenes are representative of the gameplay, showing that what you're seeing in the teaser is representative of the gameplay..

NO THEY ARE NOT!!!!

I dont understand what happend on the console board recently, with every semi-impressive to very impressive game PS3, if something that is NOT realtime is shown, somebody allways argues how it is representative blah blah blah.

Seriously. Cutscenes in uncharted 1 looked beatuiful, much better than the actual game! Not that uncharted 1 looked bad in gameplay (beatiful game, and best game on the PS3 that i have played), but improved lighting and shadows does a big difference to immersion.

Anything that is prerendered and uses DIFFERENT RENDERING TECHNIQUES than whats done in the actual game is NOT representative of gameplay. If it was representative of gameplay they would have rendered it in realtime.

Oh and if uncharted 1 cutscenes had ran in realtime they would run at 5 fps to get the same IQ as they had in those cutscenes.

This is getting ridiculous, and it just happends with PS3 games. Nobody is trying to convince people that gears of war looks as good the cutscenes in gameplay (Even thought, they are actually rendered in realtime). But with PS3 games, its a whole different story. I dont understand why, and i dont understand why seemingly intelligent people go out of their way in arguing that BULLSHOTS, PRERENDERS etc are representative of gameplay. Of course its not representative, if it was representative we would get actual gameplay shots etc etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody is trying to convince people that gears of war looks as good the cutscenes in gameplay (Even thought, they are actually rendered in realtime).
Depending on which part you would choose, In Gears of war they did some of them in realtime but some other bits were obviously touched up drastically in terms of lighting, shadows and physics. Both uncharted and gears have superior cutscene quality ove rthe gameplay counter part but Uncharted is just closer to its cutscene to me. Even MGS4 has slightly superior cutscene than its gameplay. Also like to add that Killzone 2 has maintained its gameplay-cutscene transition SEAMLESSLY as I simply cant tell any slight difference at all, anyone agree?

Well ingame realtime cutscenes tend to look more impressive becouse of dramatic camera angles. Fixed camera path and predictable system load making it easier to put more "cream on the cake". Goes for most games.

Back