PS3 to Launch with no HD?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well all indications are that you need Media Center Edition to stream to the X360, not just regular XP.

X360 has a MC Extender built in, thus the tie to the MCE PC.

MS isn't just going to give you something like that without something in it for them, in this case an incentive to buy MCE.

And if you have a Media Center PC, why not plug the thing in directly to your TV? Why go through the X360, which requires having two boxes running?

And BTW, the HTPC scene is still a niche. So no hooking up a PC or playing TV shows and movies from a PC does not have mainstream appeal.

wco81 said:
Well all indications are that you need Media Center Edition to stream to the X360, not just regular XP.

X360 has a MC Extender built in, thus the tie to the MCE PC.

MS isn't just going to give you something like that without something in it for them, in this case an incentive to buy MCE.

And if you have a Media Center PC, why not plug the thing in directly to your TV? Why go through the X360, which requires having two boxes running?

And BTW, the HTPC scene is still a niche. So no hooking up a PC or playing TV shows and movies from a PC does not have mainstream appeal.

Firts of all, read the wuote from MS CEO on the previous page, it will work with Windows XP as well as Media Centre.

MS isn't gonna force you to buy a whole new PC simply to share multimedia, all windows XP users will be able to sharee.

As for why you'd use the 360 as a client to stream multimedia form tne seerver, ease of use! it's much nicer to be able to browse your movies/tunes/videos using the XBOX controller, sitting in the comfort of the lviign room.

What's more, is it frees up the PC to do other tasks, so that you can stream video, or music, without disrupting another person who might be using the PC. And there are also less cables to run, why run a network cable and other audio and video-out cables to the reciever if you don't have to, just with a single ethernet car you have everything on your PC boomin out the 5.1 on oyur home theatre.

With my current XBOX it's great, I have all the music folderes networkd on my PC, so when I have party or something, the computer literate can download songs onto the PC, and instantly they're available in the for playback on the XBOX. While the computer illiterate simply browse the very user friendly MediaPlayer menus.

It just makes a great all around entertainment tool, and takes alot of the hassle out of streaming alot of different formats from the PC to your home theatre.

On the topic of a netwroked HD offering all the same options as a built in, making the argument "academic." That's funny. The fact it's not bundled means it will suffer from the Old Catch 22 and won't be supported in games, which makes the argument anything BUT academic. Developers won't bother supporting the tiny percentage of people with networkd HD's.

Casuals (mass market) don't care about - extra ports, extra TVs, Hard Drives, Media Center crap, Blu-Ray, etc...

Hardcore media enthusiasts care about Blu-Ray and hardcore Xbox gamers care about the Hard Drive.

It's pretty simple: None of that extra crap will matter in the console race. By the time the HD format wars are over (2008 or so), MS will stick in whatever drive wins.

As always, it will boil down to the games that work on the base hardware without any of the extra frills. That's where the mass market is.

Why would MS even bother to stick any add-on drive in at 2008? Aren't add-ons typically failures, or does this somehow not apply for MS products, specifically? People will certainly be able to buy reasonably priced component players by then, anyway. Who's going to even care if XB2 becomes HD-player equipped by 2008? If MS picks the "winning format", that pretty much implies that format (and hence the installed base of players for the format) is already reaching some level of obiquity. So who would even bother buying an external add-on drive for an XB2 at that point?

(no need to think up possible reasons- I think it's pretty evident this was a silly statement in the first place)

Why would MS even bother to stick any add-on drive in at 2008?

They don't , according to you they already have acess to hd-dvd and bluray drives . All you would need to do is stream the content from another source

jvd said:

They don't , according to you they already have acess to hd-dvd and bluray drives . All you would need to do is stream the content from another source

lol, jvd I know I should bitch at the other posters but try to be the better man and not encourage more arguments!

jvd said:

Maybe, maybe not. Who even knows if HD-DVD or BR drive uptake will be that aggressive, at all, in the home computer world. DVD drives might hold their ground a bit longer, especially given that either of these Hi-def mediums will be premium priced components as far as upgrades, in the time period of concern.

As for streaming HDVD/BR content, that may well turn out to be a big maybe, as well. You can be damn sure there will be DRM concerns involved as soon as you have a data stream flowing over a network (assuming that is even allowed, in the first place), rather than feeding directly to a local play-only app. A great deal of attention has been invested into HDVD/BR specifically to keep playback in check and heavily clamp down on exposed datastreams that potentially can be used for duplication/piracy. This kind of security will be first and foremost, w/o a single doubt, by the major movie production houses before they agree to support any new format whatsoever.

In fact, there's some belief that there won't be any software players for HD-DVD or Blu-Ray on any existing OSes.

Longhorn may work if it incorporates TPM and other hardware security.

But yeah, if you can play it back from other devices, why not hook those devices (most likely a set top player) directly to the display rather than streaming it to the X360 and then playing it that way?

Even if it's allowed by the DRM?

For one thing, those players will have HDMI outputs, possibly with 1080p. X360 can only output to component and only 720p or 1080i.

Plus you probably couldn't access all the features (menus, interactive content) on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs via a stream whereas if you're using the remotes on a standalone player, you would be able to get those.

Why ? So i can buy a faster burner for my pc and be able to pipe it all over the hosue and only need one player :) U guys know i'm being sarcastic in response to randy claiming that not having a hardrive in the ps3 is a good thing because you can just stream the info over from a hardrive .

sure randy , keep believing what you want . You made a point that not having a hardrive in the ps3 is a good thing because you can stream from a hardrive in your pc. My arguement is the same with bluray and hd-dvd . Yes there is some sarcasm in it but its stil ltrue. I have 720p movies on my pc right now , if i had an x360 i could be playing them in my living room and getting hd-dvd quality movies with out a hd-dvd player .

Man, you have gone off the deep end. I said not having an internal HD was a "good thing" now? I simply pointed out that there are other ways to accomplish the same functionality. It is neither good or bad- just doable.

Then you foolishly compared that to streaming movie videos from an HDVD/BR drive in a PC. Technically you could, if there were no locks in place. Would Hollywood let you? That's another question, and one that completely flew over your head...and now you recant by saying you were "joking" when you suggested it. DRM is no joke to them, and so it looks highly unlikely they would leave that avenue open for you. So ultimately your attempt to make a point by aping my networked HD example didn't get off the ground.

Still no question about you trolling, however. You do incredible disservice to the titles of your fellow mods.

Thats what i got from reading your posts , you imply that its just as good as having a hardrive and that its a good thing that they can do it .

Comparing two things which are similar is only foolish to you because when i did it , it painted ms in a good light , when you did it , it wasn't foolish because it painted sony in a good light .

Which is how all your posts go . No its stupid / foolish or whatever insult you want to throw in there when its an idea or point that countes what you say and doesn't cast sony in a good light . I knew you would react in this way even though what I've said is workable and I don't see why hollywood would care .

As for me joking , i said i was being sarcastic . Not that the idea wouldn't work or i twas a joke . Because when I first said it (in a post you never responed to because all the points were valid and you couldn't counter any of them even by throwing mud ) i brought it up because it could work. Just like i can watch a dvd movie that is in my sisters pc on my pc here in my room

YOu also throw the trolling out into the air . I'm sorry but the only one trolling is you . You only attack those who say negative things about sony or don't cast them in a postivie light . You've been on my ass since i've correct you about the cooling capabilitys and how nintendo could make a system as powerfull as ms in a smaller space .

jvd said:
You've been on my ass since i've correct you about the cooling capabilitys and how nintendo could make a system as powerfull as ms in a smaller space .

Have you seen the pictures of the latest ATI card using liquid cooling? Then compare this size with current ATI cards. Doesn't seem that much smaller.

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTExNzc3MDM3NnpOR0luZTZtMFRfMV8xX2wuanBn

Does this mean that using liquid cooling wouldn't aid Nintendo? Not sure to be honest but for ATI at least, it didn't seem to make anything smaller.

Geezus, do you live in some kind of "world". I'm stalking your posts now? Get over yourself. I've got better things to do than to watch your every last post to see if there is a hook. It's got nothing to do with who is boosting MS or cutting down Sony (though you seem extremely obsessed over the issue). You seem to spew BS and FUD on a regular basis when you "think" you can get away with it. Occasionally, I have been there to expose you. Simple as that. No one is stalking your sorry ass. :rolleyes: ...and freakin' grow that chip off your shoulder already.

Hey randy here is an idea . If you belive i'm trolling then by all means there is a site feedback forum just for that . You don't have to follow me around trolling my posts starting flames whenever someone makes a point that you don't like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back