PS3 System Update 3.30

Are all 2.4GHz keyboards actually Bluetooth? After posting I just went browsing, and found there were lots of options labelled 2.4 GHz, but few BT keyboards that tended to be a lot more expensive too. Many of the 2.4GHz options came with USB dongles, so I assumed they weren't BT, but BT's the same frequency... ?!

Although at this point it's fairly academic. I've little need for a PS3 keyboard. Tell a liw - when trying to get online a small keyboard would be convenient for chat over PSN to explain how games keep crashing and failing to show friends etc., instead of our current cryptic messages typed on the sixaxis, followed by MSN Messenger on the laptop. :p

Are all 2.4GHz keyboards actually Bluetooth? After posting I just went browsing, and found there were lots of options labelled 2.4 GHz, but few BT keyboards that tended to be a lot more expensive too. Many of the 2.4GHz options came with USB dongles, so I assumed they weren't BT, but BT's the same frequency... ?!

Although at this point it's fairly academic. I've little need for a PS3 keyboard. Tell a liw - when trying to get online a small keyboard would be convenient for chat over PSN to explain how games keep crashing and failing to show friends etc., instead of our current cryptic messages typed on the sixaxis, followed by MSN Messenger on the laptop. :p

No, as you suspect, not all 2.4Ghz keyboards are BT. However, most (if not all) BT keyboards also come with a dongle. It's necessary for the PCs that don't have a BT transceiver built-in. They also come with software to add the nescesary BT stacks/drivers to PCs that don't have them.

Regardless, when it comes to the PS3, it doesn't really matter. If its an RF keyboard, then you just plug the USB dongle in. If it's BT, you have the choice of using the dongle, or syncing the keyboard directly with the PS3. You may want to check out the diNovo Mini. I have one and it works quite well for use with the PS3. Truth be told, however, I still prefer my diNovo Edge for any serious typing when on my PS3 (Logitech has way too much of my money :mad:).

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to check out the diNovo Mini.
My friend's got one of those and I tried it. Pretty good for a keyboard, but far from a keyboard. Plus it's £80! This looks a better bet.

Sony deserve considerable kudos for supporting industry standards. The option of KB+M is a huge productivity boon for any 'serious' creators, and it doesn't require any new peripherals; just plug in your existing PC gear!

My friend's got one of those and I tried it. Pretty good for a keyboard, but far from a keyboard. Plus it's £80! This looks a better bet.

Not bad. But do consider that it appears that that keyboard is not backlit. A very handy feature, IMO.

Sony deserve considerable kudos for supporting industry standards. The option of KB+M is a huge productivity boon for any 'serious' creators, and it doesn't require any new peripherals; just plug in your existing PC gear!

Indeed. I hope they continue on this trend for their next console.

I disagree. Isn't Sony as a corporation embracing more standards and working with more standards organisations, rather than creating their own stuff? It'd also be a hard change from open standards to expensive commodity peripherals if they bracktrack, although the Suits may see lost revenues from their gaming division and wish they were making a nice markup on all peripherals sold.

Yes it does seem they are moving towards more open standards as a corporation, i know that with their latest cameras they are moving away from only supporting thier own format memory sticks for example.

I disagree. Isn't Sony as a corporation embracing more standards and working with more standards organisations, rather than creating their own stuff? It'd also be a hard change from open standards to expensive commodity peripherals if they bracktrack, although the Suits may see lost revenues from their gaming division and wish they were making a nice markup on all peripherals sold.

How strange, then, that the PSP Go! only supports Memory Stick, then rather than Micro SD.

As to expensive commodity peripherals, having a closed standard you must license hasn't really hurt Microsoft at all. Microsoft learned a lot from Sony during the PS2 days, I'm sure Sony will relearn all that they forgot.

How strange, then, that the PSP Go! only supports Memory Stick, then rather than Micro SD.
Sure, there are exceptions. But PSP was already a MemoryStick only platform. Consider all Sony's other devices, camcorders, cameras, PS3, that support a wide range of standards from memory cards to codecs to interface protocols. It's obvious they have given up on the old ways of a new format for every Sony device.
As to expensive commodity peripherals, having a closed standard you must license hasn't really hurt Microsoft at all.
No, but it's hurt end users. The reason for Sony to go back to proprietary formats is to improve their revenue, which is good for them. Going with common standards doesn't benefit them other than maybe reputation, ut it does make our lives easier and better. Hence why I say they deserve kudos, for letting me install any old HDD instead of an insanely overpriced one, or using any BT headset, or any USB or BT keyboard,...

Sure, there are exceptions. But PSP was already a MemoryStick only platform. Consider all Sony's other devices, camcorders, cameras, PS3, that support a wide range of standards from memory cards to codecs to interface protocols. It's obvious they have given up on the old ways of a new format for every Sony device.

But nothing was stopping them from going with MicroSD for the Go, was there? I do think that memory stick's days are numbered, if only because of the ubiquity of SD, but I haven't really seen a very hard push towards open standards from Sony, not in ages.

No, but it's hurt end users. The reason for Sony to go back to proprietary formats is to improve their revenue, which is good for them. Going with common standards doesn't benefit them other than maybe reputation, ut it does make our lives easier and better. Hence why I say they deserve kudos, for letting me install any old HDD instead of an insanely overpriced one, or using any BT headset, or any USB or BT keyboard,...

Certainly, the reason I like the PS3 is because it's so open. But between end users and their revenue, who do you think Sony will favor? And I think that many of the patterns and trends started by Ken Kutaragi are at serious risk next-gen.

But nothing was stopping them from going with MicroSD for the Go, was there? I do think that memory stick's days are numbered, if only because of the ubiquity of SD, but I haven't really seen a very hard push towards open standards from Sony, not in ages.

Blu-ray is the last big one, together with all its extensions (3D Blu-ray, Mandatory Managed Copy, ...). The HDMI spec is another standard Sony embraced (including HDMI-CEC for PS3 Slim).

I think they gave up memory stick after PSP Go.

I believe they also support some sort of eBook specs for their eReader (They have to).

The next big ones I believe will be more 3DTV standards plus whatever standards Android supports, and [drum roll] Marlin, the advanced, pie-in-the-sky common DRM framework. As I understand from DeanA, PS3 already supports a subset of Marlin.

Sony also supports H.264 instead of their own video extensions (They did push AVCHD together with Panasonic based on MPEG/H.264 ingredients). AVCHD later became part of Blu-ray.

OTOH, I think they should open up RemotePlay and may be PS Move hardware extension specs. :)

Oh, I think that where it makes sense, Sony will use open standards, like H.264. The original 60Gb PS3 having CF and SD slots, though, that's something we'll never see again. As is OtherOS. I'm not convinced we'll see BT on the next Sony console, though I think HID is in.

I think user-replaceable HDDs may be doomed too, but I'm not sure.

I think user swappable HDD allows Sony to grow a digital generation so we can continue to buy digital goods even if our old HDD run out of space. Sony also doesn't have to worry about upgrading (obsoleting) HDD inventory.

Media slots are removed probably to cut cost. It's cheap and easy to get USB hub for these things anyway. They should focus on the high value add features, not commodity ones.

But nothing was stopping them from going with MicroSD for the Go, was there?
I guess they felt BC with existing PSPs and owners who have already invested in MemoryStick. However, I repeat, that's one device! Go look through Sony's extensive catalogue and show me any other devices they make where they only support Sony's proprietary formats, and then come back here and show how Sony are turning their backs on standardised formats once again and are going back to Sony own-brand from here on in. :p

Not necessarily.

Propriety formats and hardware produces additional revenue streams which contribute to the overall profitability of a platform.

The problem I have with MS has nothing their proprietary products themselves its the high price tags on some of their products. 360 memory cards, 360 HDDs, charge and play adaptors and 360 network adaptors are all revenue streams that contribute to MS bottom line. However, with Sony, third party HDDs, memory cards and BT keyboards don't contribute at all to Sony and thus a smaller number of revenue streams have to shoulder the burden of producing revenue and profits for Sony.

We are not talking television and toaster where there are plenty of manufacturers who offer excellent products for reasonable prices. We are talking about just 2 manufacturers who offer excellent products who cater to highend gaming. But who both probably will see losses on their investment on their current gen consoles. Even though both MS and Sony have struggled this gen in terms producing profits, MS and its proprietary product line has produced the healthier ecosystem.

Buying a bunch of cheaper third party open standards products will help the consumer save in the short term, but guess what happens long term when those proprietary products and formats are removed. The console itself must bear the burden of that loss of revenue and that means two things. Cheapen the manufacturing cost of future consoles or sell them at a higher price.

Probably case by case.

Blu-ray (and 3DTV interface specs) is a standard, but Sony has many hooks in there for potential/future revenue.

Memory Stick is proprietary, probably made money for Sony but now canned.

PS Move is proprietary, but the hardware extension specs (Thanks to that little port at the base of the handle) allows for third party participation.

w.r.t. the extension port, Dr. Marks invited interested parties to talk to him in one of the interviews.

Back