PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

I think the form factor of the PS3 (and slim model) maybe be the way it is because it allows more air to move through the system, at least that would be my assumption.

As manux says, samples arriving at the receiver over HDMI would be stored in a small buffer first, then re-clocked out to the DAC with high precision, so HDMI jitter should in no way affect the final audio quality. There needs to be a feedback loop to ensure that the long-term clock rate of the receiver's DAC is equal to the long-term clock rate of the player to prevent buffer over- or under-runs, and depending on the bandwidth of this feedback loop you might get what is the equivalent of digital wow and flutter, but that would be such a sophomore engineering mistake that I doubt you'd see it in any commercial product.

I think the form factor of the PS3 (and slim model) maybe be the way it is because it allows more air to move through the system, at least that would be my assumption.

The wing shape gives each console a small amount of lift, saving Sony millions in shipping costs.

In practice jitter is just unfounded fear similar to 100000e cables and other superstition some hifi people tend to believe into. Even if you would believe there is jitter in range of tens of microseconds you might be surprised when you think what kind of effect moving your head has... mainly, your natural head movement would cause bigger artifacts than the jitter in question.

At least ps3 doesn't really process audio, it only decodes it. Processing should be done on the amplifier(i.e. audyssey room correction, bass boost, delay, whatever). Only audio processing ps3 can do is to change the volume level and that is inherently broken and should not be used.

Moving ones head 2cm would cause a time difference of 2cm/340000cm/s which is 58microseconds difference to sound heard in the original place and the place ear ended up. Good luck eliminating jitter by making headstands that remove all movement. I think this should show how absurd the discussion about jitter is on practical level. ps. and don't confuse this to effect one gets with highly directional loudspeakers where sound actually sounds drastically different even after small head movement, it's alltogether different matter.

Yep.

The amount of jitter that is needed before you hear it is many times more than what just about anything makes.
http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/ast/26/1/50/_pdf

On the question of hardware profitability and the new slim, spotted this interview at GAF with Kaz at Gamescom.

Mr Hirai admitted that Sony already loses money on each console it sells. “If you’re just talking about the hardware alone, the quick answer is yes, we do lose money on every one. That makes good headlines, but I don’t actually know that that’s the true nature of the business that we’re all in, whether it’s PlayStation, Xbox or the Wii.

“I think the better indicator is to look at the business as a whole platform, to say are you profitable in terms of the hardware, software and peripherals. And the answer to that question is yes.

The second part seems a bit strange though, haven't all Sony's financial figures to date showed a loss in the gaming division, or the division gaming is in as of the last Q, since the PS3?

Well, I guess it confirms Sony is at least not directly profitable right now on slim hardware, which of course isn't a surprise. If their losses are currently small per unit I think they'd be thrilled with that at 299.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't there one quarter this year that they actually showed a profit?

Yeah. I think so.

And I guess, the last quarter, like MS, you cant really pin down gaming's contribution to the bottom line anymore, so theoretically it could have been profitable.

Someone on GAF did a mock-up of a white PS3 Slim:
32919_9375.jpg

As with its bigger brother, a white PS3 Slim looks great.

Also for PS3 Slim's square shape.... it fits into their []X^O branding:
2iax0eg.jpg

Can't say I;m surprised Sony did ads like that... Really, it just fits.

On a side note, anyone know what that manga on the right is? It looks terrible, and I want to know it's name so I can avoid it at all costs. >.>

If you haven't seen any, it actually looks very good from pics taken of the actual unit IMO. I actually like it quite a bit more than the old one.

A white PS3 would look great, but all my HT equipment is black so it would stick out like a sore thumb.

Seeing how the above ad quotes the price in Yen, when is the price drop effective in Japan? Right now or Sep 1st?

Not yet. Someone suggested that it looks like the PS2 Slim power adapter, but we should wait for official info.

I found a quick summary of firmware 3.0 (over at WatchImpress):
http://translate.google.com/transla....jp/docs/news/20090821_309899.html?ref=hl_rss

FW 3.0 will add "HDD Audio Settings" and "HDD Subtitle Language" to "Video Settings". It looks like they are for PS Store movies (Subtitle and audio options coming for EU ?).

DTCP-IP is a DRM enforcement scheme approved by the movie studios. It works over Internet protocols instead of Firewire and USB:
http://www.cablelabs.com/news/pr/2007/07_pr_dtla_082307.html
http://www.engadgethad.com/2007/08/27/meet-the-new-boss-cable-labs-dtcp-ip/

DTCP-IP should allow stored protected videos to play on other DTCP-IP devices, and vice versa. Perhaps this is for PS Store videos as well, and may be stuff recorded by PlayTV ?
I believe DNLA has also adopted the specs for streaming protected content also.

I've ordered one anyway, just on the back of the decrease in power requirments! I'm now living in a house that is solar and wind powered only and anything that reduces KWh usage is a bonus!

I'm thinking of odering one as well. My PS3 is getting louder by the day and replacing it with a sleaker smaller and cooler device is a win/win. On top of that, the power is a factor, since my PS3 runs at least a few hours every day....

The only real drawback is PS2 backwards-compatibility. It's logical that Sony would downplay its importance, but I am extremely dissapointed by there move. I still like to play some games (FFXII, MGS3, ZOE2 etc) and own roughly 30 PS3 games (so I've done my fair share of support). I was thinking of giving away my old PS3, but now I'll have to keep it for the PS2 games. Also, having no Linux support is a draw back. I wouldn't mind getting back to it to play around at some point and having that in a smaller device would be perfect.

What a shame.

I'm thinking of odering one as well.

Do you have any good trade in programs going on there. The Gamestop has pretty good deal here. Bring in your fat PS3 + two old games + 49€ to get the new slim. I have a 40GB model that is out of warranty, I'm seriously thinking about making that move. I would also get DS3 that way.

Back