PS3 motion control idea for FPS

Than again, if its very sensitive, wouldnt it move around unwanted? Atleast I move my controller quite a bit (hehe I got a Wii, but seriously) even though its just minor movements. I think it could work, but the way sixaxis is designed I think analoge stick camera movement would be better.

Perhaps this shoul dbe no problem if they use one of the shoulder buttons.

For example if you want to use the motion control whenever you want and not "accidentally" you ll have to keep pressed the R2 button when you want to use the motion feature. Release it and it will go back to the original position

edit: just noticed tha_con posted an almost identical idea before me

Last edited by a moderator:
edit: just noticed tha_con posted an almost identical idea before me

Yeah, or someone else who posted that idea a few posts further up ...

In my experience though, motion control for basic tilting stuff is less tiresome than using your thumb to control the analog stick. The only stuff that is tiring is jerks or shaking motions, needed for jumping in super rub-a-duck or getting rid of an alien in Resistance (though fortunately I've needed that just once or twice, so that wasn't going to be an issue).

In general, analog stick control costs me more effort than tilting the controller. The least effort of all games is into playing Resistance, which I play mostly with just one hand, very relaxed. The sixaxis being as light as it is helps a lot.

Anyway, I'm a patient guy. I can wait until E3 for Epic to prove me right. ;)

Frankly, I've yet to see the SIXAXIS motion control implemented in a manner truly beneficial to the gaming experience and I cringe at the thought of trying to control the camera in an FPS with it. Horrible!

Frankly, I've yet to see the SIXAXIS motion control implemented in a manner truly beneficial to the gaming experience and I cringe at the thought of trying to control the camera in an FPS with it. Horrible!

Not part of the Warhawk beta testing I presume...

I believe that the SIXAXIS will work excellently for all actions (in FPS that is) that also involve two hands in real life: E.g. pushing (objects or enemies) and pulling (Levers, ropes, etc.)

Apart from that it will also work really well for actions that don't involve large twisting movements (i.e. eventually leading to crossed arms) and that come reasonably close to 'real' movement (peaking around corners). Rolling could work as well, if it's not too sensitive.

IMO, motion controls should fulfil at least one of the two formulas (if both, the better):

A) Representing a movement from real life: This will create more 'immersion' as they player will feel more involved.

B) Adding more degrees of freedom / Simplifying controls: E.g. the corner peak, Instead of pushing button B + Direction - > Simple Tilt. This works faster and could work really well in MP.

i believe motion control like the sixaxis is ideal for flying games, i really wanna add support for tilt in my game, though noone yet has written a driver for windows ( sony should they might sell a few more sixaxis's at profit to pc owners, as well as making more pc owners used to using the sixaxis (*) which would benifit the ps3 ),
( theres a driver for linux at the moment but i believe it doesnt support tilt yet )

(*) actually why arent logitech etc releasing motion controllers for the pc, (sure nintendo have a patent), but im sure they could come up with something similar, like the sixaxis etc. the market have spoken, motion sensing is what they want. == profits to be made

I think the general problem with tilt detection of sixaxis is lack of sensible boundaries coupled with slightly slow response times which leads to harmonic motion and takes getting used to.

That said I personally find Warhawk and Motorstorm tilt controls quite fun even though the axis of rotation is different from of a driving wheel. It certainly adds to gaming experience.

Among the occasionally used motion detection examples in games, I find shaking controller to get rid of sticky projectiles and fire in Resistance quite intuitive while NGS's approach is pretty pointless as you need to press a botton to start the Nimpo.

I think that it would be quite interesting for a fps to integrate the motion control functionality into gameplay. This is the way that I think it could work, you would use the motion control simply to control head movement. In other words it would not affect cursor position which would still be controlled with the right analog stick. Now an additional option could be to have it keep the cursor centered on the screen for motion control movements and cursor moves independantly for targeting (kinda like Warhawk beta with motion controls).

Does anyone else think that this may add to the immersion factor and remove that horrible on rails system currently in use?

p.s. Could be optionally turned off of course

I think cursor-controlled, analog stick like tilt sensing may actually beneficial if the sixaxis tilt detection has better range/resoultion and comparable response time.
It may even work like a mouse coupled with a shoulder button.

I am yet to see any useful examples of absolute angle camera controls in third person shooters so I will stay skeptical there. More importantly constant usage of two sticks and motion control at the same time is way difficult. I gave up Warhawk's left analog stick (incidentally which is also absolute-angle) long time ago. Of course I feel the need for quickly looking around for enemies as stick is either slow or way to sensitive for its physically limited range. But if you limit looking around to horizontal 2d-plane, stick may work very well with absolute angles.

So I would like to see an implementation with tilt sensing for camera/cursor, one stick for strafe/forward/backward and remaining stick for occasional actions (such as looking around or realtime weapon select). I like the d-dpad weapon select of Warhawk which is limited to 8 weapons, with the reaming stick it makes 16.

what example has there been for footy games
icon_question.gif

You can map the motion control to the right analog stick (skill stick in fifa)

Back