PS3 Linux Install - 'how to' (FC5 up and running now!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that should be a piece of cake - almost every possible pre-32bit emulator you can think of already exists for the PSP, and you can bet that all of those are going to be available for Linux on the PS3.

SNES & N64 emulators would be perfect. Playing Zelda: Ocarina of time would be awesome, it never gets old. ;)

I wonder will the PS3 be powerful enough to emulate dreamcast even if such emulator would be possible to make? I am simply suffering with my PC even though its only like year old package (bought all the best stuff out there back then) when trying to emulate PS2 or Gamecube. Zelda: Wind waker: 1,5 FPS or so when in gameplay, +60 in movies, not exactly the most enjoyable experience. :LOL:

My conclusion: I'd expect N64 to be the limit of emulators for PS3.

My conclusion: I'd expect N64 to be the limit of emulators for PS3.

Doubtful - there is a N64 emulator on the PSP, and although it is rubbish and slow, it shows that the N64 is close enough in the PSP's reach to make the PS3 version a no-brainer. Remember also that the 360 and the PS3 pretty much can emulate their previous generations. Especially the Dreamcast was similar to the Xbox, wasn't it? And then the PS3 actually has an nvidia graphics card, like I believe the Dreamcast and Xbox had (GeForce2 and GeForce3 derivatives?)

So really, I think the PS3 should be able to do it. It mostly depends on how badly PS3 owning programmers want the project, and whether or not they master the Cell ...

Of course, access to the RSX would be nice to, even if they only get OpenGL ES.

Though then again, it could be really interesting to see how far you could get with just the Cell ...

But yes, my bold prediction is that the N64, Dreamcast and Xbox1 should all be doable. But the latter two may take a fair while.

But the SNES emulator is one of the first you'll be able to play, for sure. It appeared very early on the PSP and was very popular. My personal favorite is the Atari ST emulator, CaSTaway (on PSP, try STeem on PC). I have great memories of that platform, and having those games on the go is awesome - they should make it into a commercial product, as the OS is in the PD, as far as I know (noone bought it after Atari died, unlike the Amiga's OS).

I would also love a speedy, faultless Amiga 500 emulator personally - the Amiga games just always had superior music, and I love music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doubtful - there is a N64 emulator on the PSP, and although it is rubbish and slow, it shows that the N64 is close enough in the PSP's reach to make the PS3 version a no-brainer. Remember also that the 360 and the PS3 pretty much can emulate their previous generations. Especially the Dreamcast was similar to the Xbox, wasn't it? And then the PS3 actually has an nvidia graphics card, like I believe the Dreamcast and Xbox had (GeForce2 and GeForce3 derivatives?)

So really, I think the PS3 should be able to do it. It mostly depends on how badly PS3 owning programmers want the project, and whether or not they master the Cell ...

Of course, access to the RSX would be nice to, even if they only get OpenGL ES.

Though then again, it could be really interesting to see how far you could get with just the Cell ...

But yes, my bold prediction is that the N64, Dreamcast and Xbox1 should all be doable. But the latter two may take a fair while.

But the SNES emulator is one of the first you'll be able to play, for sure. It appeared very early on the PSP and was very popular. My personal favorite is the Atari ST emulator, CaSTaway (on PSP, try STeem on PC). I have great memories of that platform, and having those games on the go is awesome - they should make it into a commercial product, as the OS is in the PD, as far as I know (noone bought it after Atari died, unlike the Amiga's OS).

I would also love a speedy, faultless Amiga 500 emulator personally - the Amiga games just always had superior music, and I love music.

Dreamcast and Xbox sound very nice but if they don't run "nicely" to say, its really not worth playing. If they can get them to run at constant 30 FPS, for most games, it would be extremely nice.

It probably could be done, I don't know, it sounds extremely hard, but I'm just sad that the brute force of my PC isn't able to do it. :(

Granted, the emulators for gamecube, PS2 and Xbox(haven't look this up yet), are still not finished as to say so the games feel EXTREMELY sluggish, perhaps when we go few more years ahead, the PC's will be able to do it no problem and maybe the PS3 will learn it aswell. ;) (Aka the code will be finished for them more properly.)

Here's one for hoping! Emulators are always nice add.

Remember also that the 360 and the PS3 pretty much can emulate their previous generations.

Not really. The 360 uses precomputed binaries to improve emulation and even then it's very far from perfect.

PS3 meanwhile isn't emulating PS2 at all. It has an EE+GS on the board. Nobody outside of Sony has even seen any PS2 emulation code for PS3, so it's pretty early to make a comment like that.

Oh my all these emulation talk makes me crazy. If PS3 at the end ends up with emulators including SNES, NES, Master System, Genesis, DC, N64, XBOX, then PS3 will be the ultimate choice for sure!! For once a non-gaming feature will actually bring more gaming.

I just hpe these will happen at the end :)

I doubt about an XBOX emulator though. Thre isnt even one on the PC despite that its so similar acrhitecturally

And what is this QEMU you speak of?
QEMU is a processor emulator, in this case an x86 CPU emulator.
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

As for software PS2 emulation, this patent application by Masakazu SUZUOKI of SCEI illustrates ISA translation on Cell. One core does code translation while another executes it.

Methods and apparatus for instruction set emulation
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...78".PGNR.&OS=DN/20060179278&RS=DN/20060179278
A method, comprising: translating at least part of a software program written with a first instruction set architecture (ISA) into a second ISA using at least one processor of a multi-processor system; and executing the at least part of a software program using at least one other processor of the multi-processor system.

This kind of emulation talk is definitely not wanted here. I can only guess that none of you actually own the orignal catridges you're talking about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back