[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the particle effects in KZ2 are stellar (:love: the "Ballet of Death" trailer).

It's how GG put everything together that makes KZ2 very special, especially in motion. The effects last longer and fade away more realistically, sometimes interact with the environment. Having a higher res buffer doesn't mean the effect will look better automatically.

I don't know how GG can top KZ2. My wife who gave up on FPS years ago, demanded me to pass her the controller. She gave up because of motion sickness due to the excessive movement and narrow field of vision. I guess if they can address these issues, she might co-op with me again -- if co-op is in the game.

I believe not many people knew it was a nepalm gun in KZ2. It was very life-like. It appears that they caved in to other people and just made it a flamethrower this time.

One thing I can't shake off is that the environments looked very 'real" in KZ2. The walls felt solid concrete. Playing the Beta, The corinth Highway feels just like a game level, not real at all. The walls feel like paper thin and some objects on the ground even give off a UE3 feel ! I think it was because of numerous well placed lights n shadows in the environments of KZ2. KZ3 levels, though bigger, lack that love of detail of lights n shadows in them. At least the ones that we have seen uptill now. Look at Salamun Market, or Blood Gratch, it feels so solid, so non-game-like and like real concrete and stones. Frozen Damn still has that feel in parts but Corinth Highway lacks it completely. though it is the most fun to play in the Beta, it feels the most fake too.

I didn't see any of that. Did you just go down a generic complete list of "things that can be improved in graphics" or do you actually see those? Any specific examples?

The footage is too poor quality to tell anyway.

Try to watch it in 720p if it helps but hey some people just wont admit it either way, these improvements aren't something you need to zoom in 400% to see. Of course direct feed would be the best.

I think he forgot about earlier footage, thinking that this is the first KZ3 video. ^_^

The improved particle effects, better textures and larger scale can been seen in earlier trailers already. In general, people are more concerned with gameplay and game concept these days.

One thing I can't shake off is that the environments looked very 'real" in KZ2. The walls felt solid concrete. Playing the Beta, The corinth Highway feels just like a game level, not real at all. The walls feel like paper thin and some objects on the ground even give off a UE3 feel ! I think it was because of numerous well placed lights n shadows in the environments of KZ2. KZ3 levels, though bigger, lack that love of detail of lights n shadows in them. At least the ones that we have seen uptill now. Look at Salamun Market, or Blood Gratch, it feels so solid, so non-game-like and like real concrete and stones. Frozen Damn still has that feel in parts but Corinth Highway lacks it completely. though it is the most fun to play in the Beta, it feels the most fake too.

Yap, the level design in KZ2 is rather organic, not blockish.

Did you post your feedback to the KZ3 forum ? If Corinth Highway is more fun to play, then more people will get to see their work. So GG should touch it up more.

Live gameplay demo of KZ3 at gamespot. Its the Ice level but a different section than the E3 demo. Good watch. Cover is still essential and looks like ....mmm.....WOW ! :D !

http://asia.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=now_playing_killzone_320101210

EDIT: Damn ! That guy is playing in God Mode with infinite ammo, not good for showing off the chaos and intensity of a level. He is fearlessly melee-ing everyone, cos he takes no damage. But the good point is they show the whole level, and it looks really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he forgot about earlier footage, thinking that this is the first KZ3 video. ^_^

The improved particle effects, better textures and larger scale can been seen in earlier trailers already. In general, people are more concerned with gameplay and game concept these days.

Yap, the level design in KZ2 is rather organic, not blockish.

Did you post your feedback to the KZ3 forum ? If Corinth Highway is more fun to play, then more people will get to see their work. So GG should touch it up more.

err.....since I got the beta free from my psn, hmm...where do I post the feedback?

Hmm... did the game call it a flamethrower or a napalm gun ?
I don't remember. I do remember an interview that talked about it. One of the devs talked about how people said it couldn't be done in a game properly (due to fluid dynamics?), but they pulled it off.

in kz2 it was designed as a napalm gun (stated in one of the def diaries available at killzone.com) which is clearly visible to during action :D

played some KZ2 and then revved up the KZ3 beta Botmatch and I must say , playing one after the other, KZ3 Beta does look better than KZ2, no doubt !
Everything is "more", More particles(Hell of a lot more), more geometry, more space!
Also, playing it again after a few days, now that the excitement was lesser, it does look better than I thought. Since I was in a Botmatch, I just stopped for sometime and looked at the whole Corinth Highway map and ,Dude, we might not notice while running around like crazies but they have set up one really solid spectacle ! It looks unpolished, as its a beta, but its all there:- Visari' Grandeur !
Frozen Dam looked good anyway ! Bless the snow all around :) !

Also, I must say the Bots, like in KZ2, act out their parts really well ! They are no dumbasses, and sometimes you can forget it not humans, but Bots u r fighting against. I, in fact, have enjoyed many botmatches in KZ2 too, when I want to chk out anew map and find strategies.

Good Luck GG ! Just show us some more SP please, please, puhleaaaaase !!

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3182759

1UP: The game's running at 30 frames per second with and without 3D. Where's the power coming from for 3D? Were sacrifices made to maintain the frame rate?

HH: You know, look at it for yourself. We found a lot of power after we completed Killzone 2. Just to give you an example on the graphics side: we pulled a level from Killzone 2 into the Killzone 3 engine and it ran at 50 percent. That's how much power we've been able to find.

You can see it in split screen co-op. We had to do the double rendering anyway. I don't think there's that much that's suboptimal. Of course, there's some trickery you have to do. But at the end, what I think is much more core than the resolution or frame rate issue, because that isn't an issue with us, is the amount of tender love and care you put into things like the HUD -- things that are blatantly obvious if they're wrong, like if there's a crosshair that's just right in front of your face. That's what pulls you out of the experience. Or, if there's so much detail on the screen that you get overloaded. We blur stuff like that out. We make sure it's comfortable one the eyes and that it's intuitive.

Co-op/Split screen is confirmed.

Just to give you an example on the graphics side: we pulled a level from Killzone 2 into the Killzone 3 engine and it ran at 50 percent. That's how much power we've been able to find.
Even if this is true, that performance increase comes with lots of jaggies and lack of motion blur. That's not called "finding power" but "compromises", imho.

MLAA need some tweaking or they use a lower precision version that render faster maybe, I wouldn't call it compromise. I thought ppl say motion blur is in the game, just not used heavily like KZ2.

Even if this is true, that performance increase comes with lots of jaggies and lack of motion blur. That's not called "finding power" but "compromises", imho.

They still use motion blur for a lot of things but less in your face this time, more subtle. And I'm quite happy with MLAA, the texture details retained by it far outweighs the odd subpixel aliasing here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back