[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm the only one who felt kind-of like a nazi, invading hellghan world, storming through their civilian establishments, all in a race to assassinate their leader.
I guess you missed Killzone 1, where the Helghast invaded Vekta in order to make some Lebensraum for the Helghan Volk. I think Guerrilla is definitely drawing on themes in European history. There are definitely some parallels to European colonialism, and even the way German was treated as a cow to be milked at different periods in European history. There are parallels with Rome, too, like how Earth couldn't support itself and survived on inflows from its colonies. But Scolar Visari is basically Space Hitler--while the ISA and UCN were basically preventing people from achieving liberty, even when they escape to far reaches of the galaxy, and exploiting them with taxes, duties, etc, I don't think we're supposed to excuse Visari's invasion of Vekta. You know, like how acknowledging how badly the German people were shafted by the Allies after WWI doesn't excuse Hitler. I think what I like about the story is that it's "realistic" in how deep and complex the narrative leading up to war really is rather than the simplistic stuff you get in JRPGs.

Re-watched the trailer this morning. Quite happy with the jetpack, but I don't think they should call it a jetpack (Too generic). It's a weapon system that has "air-lift". Should give it a name like "Tarantula" (or the name of the electric spiders in KZ2 desert).

It already reminds me of a fighting Tarantula.

Make the animation behave more so, especially when it first opens up or pounces on enemies.

EDIT: Also love the fly-by at the beginning. Sound effect and setting remind me of The Empire Strikes Back. ^_^
* [strike]One guy[/strike]Small group of resistance vs the Empire
* Snow
* Sleek imperial weapons

Looks about the same as KZ2 for the most part.
It should, it's Killzone! It shouldn't look like CoD or Ridge Racer. :)

Anyway, this is a huge leap. Supposedly, 10x the expansiveness in environment, HDR, better particle effects, better animations, the most incredible water, and 3D! Simply fascinating and it's just pre-alpha! Close to one year to go. :D

There are definitely some parallels to European colonialism, and even the way German was treated as a cow to be milked at different periods in European history. There are parallels with Rome, too, like how Earth couldn't support itself and survived on inflows from its colonies. But Scolar Visari is basically Space Hitler--while the ISA and UCN were basically preventing people from achieving liberty, even when they escape to far reaches of the galaxy, and exploiting them with taxes, duties, etc, I don't think we're supposed to excuse Visari's invasion of Vekta. You know, like how acknowledging how badly the German people were shafted by the Allies after WWI doesn't excuse Hitler. I think what I like about the story is that it's "realistic" in how deep and complex the narrative leading up to war really is rather than the simplistic stuff you get in JRPGs.

Yap ! The Killzone universe can be incredibly rich and deep by reflecting on our own histories. GG mentioned that the Helghan forces may have in-fighting between different factions this time. Since they related to Heavy Rain in one of the interviews, I'd love to see some human/emotional elements in the game story.

I am also curious about the Helghast language they invented. Probably some puzzles in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it's still using LDR. No SSAO either, seems to have more jaggies than KZ2 (so I doubt MLAA is being used), and the water certainly isn's the best. That title still belongs to Resistance 2's.
You sure there's no SSAO? Disagree on the jaggies though, I think it looks pretty clean definitely better than the QAA implementation in terms of keeping texture clarity. Water looks a lot more impressive than R2's in terms of surface detail, animation and sheer scale.

The weather is not sunny, it is snowy in KZ3 trailer. The comparison is perfectly valid. For Jaggies, I agree. For SSAO, I don't know, I prefer watch gameplay sequences.

You can see quite a bright sky with sparse clouds. The sun is not blocked by the clouds either.

You sure there's no SSAO?
Not a 100% but I can't find any trace of it.

Disagree on the jaggies though, I think it looks pretty clean definitely better than the QAA implementation in terms of keeping texture clarity.
Maybe it's the lighting, the higher contrast between light and dark areas might make the jaggies look more prominent.

Water looks a lot more impressive than R2's in terms of surface detail, animation and sheer scale.
In scale, yeah. But the actual look and movement is more natural in R2's. Not to mention is actually responsive to outside interference.

I guess you missed Killzone 1, where the Helghast invaded Vekta in order to make some Lebensraum for the Helghan Volk.
Actually, Vekta doesn't belongs to ISA in the first place.
The Helghasts rightfully own Vekta...its their home planet & when ISA invaded them they were forced to flee to Helghan. Its only natural that they'd want to claim back what belongs to them.

Looks like it's still using LDR. No SSAO either, seems to have more jaggies than KZ2(so I doubt MLAA is being used), and the water certainly isn's the best. That title still belongs to Resistance 2's.

Also, those "real water" videos posted above aren't a fitting comparison, considering the difference in lighting conditions (stormy vs sunny).

Nope it definitely has less jaggies. If it is MLAA though, it's not GoW3 level IQ just yet.

Nope it definitely has less jaggies. If it is MLAA though, it's not GoW3 level IQ just yet.

This pic looks like it's getting very close.
13.bmp.jpg

Is it confirmed that they adopted GoW3's method specifically like Media Molecule or are they doing their own implementation?
It's probably using the code whatever their final implementation. No point reinventing the wheel from scratch. May even just have it in now quickly for shots to better include it in final code. LBP2 shows the MLAA is being applied at a point before all drawing is done, so we're not seeing consistent antialiasing.

Saw the gameplay video about 10 times and it does look awesome indeed.Visually, it looks better then KZ2 but not way better then it.If any of you guys have played KZ2, then you would know that the game has CG cutscenes.

Saw the gameplay video about 10 times and it does look awesome indeed.Visually, it looks better then KZ2 but not way better then it.If any of you guys have played KZ2, then you would know that the game has CG cutscenes.
Only the very first intro sequence (the one with Visari's speech) is CG/offline render which looks to be made using the game engine. Apart from that not one scene was CG...atleast that's what I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back