[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like theyre we've found the cause of the oil leak in the gulf of new mexico.
screens dont look that good, lacking contrast.
Though due to its rendering engine, killzone is a game that has to be viewed in motion to make a correct judgement, In saying that a snowsetting isnt the best place to showcase this!

Dont know reviewers and game devs seem to get a hard on when they see a good snow/ice level. I blame uncharted 2 for it.:rolleyes:

Ps there seem to be a interview with gameplay footage.:LOL:

Yap. They spent about 10-15 minutes on stereoscopic 3D gameplay, and an unknown amount of time on regular 3D.

If you watch the interview in fullscreen, you can have a pretty good idea of how the game looks in motion.

I've generally never been a fan of 3D with fps games (at least what I've played on PC) because I don't like having the gun always a fixed distance from the camera while you're trying to look at something that's far away from you.

But it could be really interesting to see how they handle the whole looking down the sights issue. Like with a normal "iron sight", it could switch to "one eye" aiming where you don't have depth perception and so the game goes into 2D. If you're shooting a gun with a scope, then they could use whatever the modern military acog scopes use and allow you to still have depth perception.

It'll be interesting, this is probably the first fps game really built for 3D so there could be a lot of new gameplay possibilities there.

I've generally never been a fan of 3D with fps games (at least what I've played on PC) because I don't like having the gun always a fixed distance from the camera while you're trying to look at something that's far away from you.

But it could be really interesting to see how they handle the whole looking down the sights issue. Like with a normal "iron sight", it could switch to "one eye" aiming where you don't have depth perception and so the game goes into 2D. If you're shooting a gun with a scope, then they could use whatever the modern military acog scopes use and allow you to still have depth perception.

It'll be interesting, this is probably the first fps game really built for 3D so there could be a lot of new gameplay possibilities there.

3D would be useful for gauging jump distance, lobing grenade and firing grenade launcher. For the last case, IMHO, they should not "downgrade" the launcher scope view. It would defeat one of the practical uses for stereoscopic 3D.

Your nick reminds me of Nintendo 3DS. I'm curious to see what Nintendo comes up with for autostereoscopic 3D and 3D joystick.

Anyway, someone made a youtube video by zooming into the KZ3 playscreen during the interview:

EDIT:
All that gameplay footage seems to be missing OB motion blur...

I'd prefer that to 3D to be honest.

If they keep the same info in their buffers, it should be easy to add motion blur back. In one of the earlier tech demoes, I remember they removed layers of post processing to show what the SPUs were doing.

The good news:

VB: If you add a jet pack to the game, you have to have room to fly around?

HH: Exactly. If you have a small map, that is not possible. With Killzone 2, we thought we were scraping the bottom of the barrel in finding more processing power. But we actually found another 30 to 40 percent more performance in the PlayStation 3 to create these bigger worlds. Raising the bar comes through variety, improving the systems we had before like adding the brutal melee system to the close combat we already had, and improving things that we thought we could have done better. We had difficulty spikes in the game that were barriers for people.

VB: Your team took a long time to do Killzone 2, but it is a very short time later that you are showing Killzone 3. Do you still have a long way to go?

HH: You see where we are now. We are 1.5 years into it. We have playable demos, a full level. We can work a lot faster because we have a very experienced team now. We can work a lot faster, but Killzone 3 is a much more ambitious game than Killzone 2. We are under pressure, but we work well under pressure.

The bad news:
http://games.venturebeat.com/2010/0...ding-but-3d-tv-gaming-is-still-underwhelming/

... game developer Guerrilla Games has a lot to do before the 3D TV version of the game becomes ready for prime time. With three-dimensional visual effects, the game becomes blurry, imprecise, and disorienting.

The visuals I saw last night were not finished, and Hulst said they are still early in development. The imagery did not live up to the billing because 3D TV adds secondary images known as ghosts when you are not perfectly aligned with the screen. When you’re playing a game and moving around, it’s pretty hard to stay in the perfect position. Clearly, Sony is pushing this technology hard because it is something that neither Microsoft nor Nintendo is focusing on; if it’s done right, it can differentiate Sony’s games from the pack.

If they get it to work, then you’ll see more visual cues that help you. The missile being shot at your head will appear to whiz by you. Your gun’s crosshairs will focus on targets that are either close to you or further away. Objects in front of you will add depth into the middle of the picture, while weapons in your hand such as a knife will appear to pop out of the screen. I want that, but not at the sacrifice of things such as sharpness, speed, and a feeling of orientation. With 3D, it’s too easy to turn your head, lose contact with the screen, and then start seeing double images.

Glad to see journalist being critical and flank.

I remember the MotorStorm demo had a little double image issue when the buggy was too close to the screen. But overall, the depth perception of the entire landscape is more fun especially in bonnet view. For an FPS like Killzone, the problems may be compounded because our movement is ad hoc, and our eyes will wander all over the screen.

Looks like GG will be on the hook to update PS3 gamers on their progress. I am certainly keen to track their work to see if stereoscopic 3D is ready for primetime. Tough life for them after the 2005 trailer. ^_^

3D would be useful for gauging jump distance, lobing grenade and firing grenade launcher. For the last case, IMHO, they should not "downgrade" the launcher scope view. It would defeat one of the practical uses for stereoscopic 3D.
I'm not saying that it's a downgrade for you to lose depth perception when looking down the iron sights. It's something that you actually do in reality so it'd be interesting to see how Guerilla incorporates it into the game.

It's obvious that GG is very dedicated to making the weapons look and sound as realistic and visceral as possible so I wonder if they'll make it so that certain weapons required you to have less situational awareness (especially power weapons like the sniper, rocket launcher, etc) as a means of balancing then and making it more it more intense when you do use them. I'm hoping that GG chose 3D because they had a lot of cool ideas as to how it can affect gameplay.

Frankly ,i have a 3d tv sitting near to me,and i don't understand most of these comments .
I can buy that half the horizontal resolution will look blurry,but you don't have to stay at "the perfect position , even if that could be a problem with a DDR dancing game.
Cross talk is the same whatever your position is.

The bad news to me is the horizontal resolution ,period.But they can improve on that.

WOW at the screens, so much more epic and detailed than KZ2. The textures all round looked a lot sharper and lighting seems have some sort of AO going? I've seen a bad quality youtube clip and the particle effect from the explosions looked so much meatier but can't really tell anything about object motion blur from that but they did say it's included. Pretty much the best looking PS3 game I've seen so far.

Well the first game did had a fantastic Object Motion Blur...so it makes little to no sense to not expect it in the sequel.

Exactly, was just saying can't judge from such a low quality video, besides it's a Pre alpha build and for all we know they probably didn't have half of all the effects thrown in when all said and done, facial animation being one.

It's me or the smoke effect is less persistent on screen? In the video when they launch the granade the smoke disappear very quickly...

It's because the strong wind that was blowing it away too quickly, the particle effect reacting to the wind physics looked awesome though.

The only unnatural thing I saw in that video was the crashing hover craft.

The player fired missiles at it, but the stationary craft spiralled towards the player instead of away from him. It created a nice explosion and a healthy supply of smoke nearby, so I don't want to complain. :)

The only unnatural thing I saw in that video was the crashing hover craft.

The player fired missiles at it, but the stationary craft spiralled towards the player instead of away from him. It created a nice explosion and a healthy supply of smoke nearby, so I don't want to complain. :)

What if it had four thrusters to keep it up in the air and in-place, and your missiles destroyed the front two thrusters? ;) Love the scale conveyed by the huge structures.

I was in the store today and discovered there (at least) 8 models of 3D televisions displayed, ranging from 1450 to 3000 euros. I asked to test the 3000 one, a Samsung, as it had Monsters vs Aliens and animated films tend to be far and away the best showcase/quality.

The short of it: I was pretty much blown away by the quality of the picture and the 3D (200hz, wireless glasses that weighed practically nothing, wore them over my own glasses). Lots of nice shots and effects, but the biggest showcase that I came across in my 5-10 minutes of watching, was when the lead character points a gun at the main villain, and that gun completely sticks out of the TV completely believably - the quality easily surpassed the cinema, and this was in very bright conditions right in the middle of the store. I couldn't really find any fault with it, except noticing the (presumably 24fps) framerate stutter.

If this is the quality I can purchase for 1000 euros by June 2010, then I'll get one practically guaranteed. And boy is it going to be tough to wait that long. ;)

What if it had four thrusters to keep it up in the air and in-place, and your missiles destroyed the front two thrusters? ;) Love the scale conveyed by the huge structures.

It's possible ! The video is too small to tell. The animation looked a little abrupt but like I said, I'm loving the explosions. The more the merrier !

I was in the store today and discovered there (at least) 8 models of 3D televisions displayed, ranging from 1450 to 3000 euros. I asked to test the 3000 one, a Samsung, as it had Monsters vs Aliens and animated films tend to be far and away the best showcase/quality.

The short of it: I was pretty much blown away by the quality of the picture and the 3D (200hz, wireless glasses that weighed practically nothing, wore them over my own glasses). Lots of nice shots and effects, but the biggest showcase that I came across in my 5-10 minutes of watching, was when the lead character points a gun at the main villain, and that gun completely sticks out of the TV completely believably - the quality easily surpassed the cinema, and this was in very bright conditions right in the middle of the store. I couldn't really find any fault with it, except noticing the (presumably 24fps) framerate stutter.

If this is the quality I can purchase for 1000 euros by June 2010, then I'll get one practically guaranteed. And boy is it going to be tough to wait that long. ;)

I bumped into an old couple last Sunday in Sony's 3DTV demo area. They told me Sony 3D looks better than the Samsung one. I need to check Samsung out in case the couple works for Sony. :devilish:

Well its probably a set-piece and will crash at that exact spot always ...

There were at least four different Samsung models, ranging from 1499 to 3099 ... So it probably also depends on the model.

EDIT: did anyone see that quadrotor demonstration on youtube? Willing to bet something like that will show up in a videogame sooner rather than later ... :D It's both awesome and rather scary.

Can we talk about the story now? :D

I think I'm the only one who felt kind-of like a nazi, invading hellghan world, storming through their civilian establishments, all in a race to assassinate their leader. I don't know how many people actually read the history of the Killzone world. Hellghast used to be a peaceful union of human colonies, which controlled many star systems and served like a hub connecting many routes to deeper space exploration. After awhile, United Nations of Earth of the future didn't like how much Hellghast were charging those who wanted to use hellghan refueling/docking facilities on route to remote systems. This led to many wars, end result of which was Hellghast being defeated and eventually exiled to inhospitable Hellghan world where they seem to have lost some of humanity :devilish:

Anyway, maybe I'm thinking too much into this, but I could never shake this feeling that I was doing something wrong while playing the game. I hope Guerilla team will take that into account, and at the end of KZ3 some kind of justice could prevail, maybe in the form of peace treaty and permission for Hellghast to join remaining human civilization. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back