PS3 getting louder and louder. Any solutions?

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
Last year, I sold my launch 60gb unit for a MGS4 bundle 80GB unit. However, over time, the PS3 has been getting louder and louder. I mainly use it for BR playback so that's when I notice it the most. It's very easily audible over quiet passages in movies.

Is this a dirt build up issue in the the console? Can I use a compressed air can to blow it out or a safe way to open it up an clean it out? My PS3 sits horizontal.

Definitely try compressed air and vacuum. Fans can start whining when dirt accumulates (more friction).

If there was a detailed diy instructions on taking it appart so I could clean the dust away and reapply my own thermal compound like I have done with my pc cpu and graphic cards I would do it however the compressed air will work fine but I would reccomend a dust cover when not in use since vcrs

Is the PS3 self-cleaning feature still active ? It was first discovered on the 40Gb PS3.

There was a warning about potential damage if the feature is misused. Is it useful in this scenario ?

I used a vacuum cleaner on mine. I first taped up all the vents apart from the one I was applying the vacuum to, so that I got the maximum benefit.

My main problem is my number one son's fascination with talcum powder and I discovered an ivory white PS3 in my front room the other day!

Get compressed air and shoot some air into the console (you can probably stick the nose of the air into the console). This really is only going to break up surface dust though, and won't do a ton of good.

This is something you should make a practice, as it helps to reduce dust buildup over time. As time passes, the dust will "settle" and is harder to blow away using compressed air / vacume.

Is there a specfic way I should use the compressed air to clean it out? (I like pictures!) I'd hate to push the dust futher onto the mother board or something.

The PC is sitting on top of the AV cabinet so it shouldn't have any heating issues. I also have a Dyson vaccum which can suck harder than a hooker on nickel night. Should I try one of the small attachments and press it against the vents? That can't hurt anything, right?

Never use compressed air! Always use something like a vacuum cleaner. The earlier suggestion with the temporary taping shut of other vents sounds good, but don't make it fully vacuum or you'll risk dislodging something and not be very effective, keep some air flowing.

The fans in my 60gig Euro launch system are about as loud/silent as they always were, but my Blu-Ray drive makes some really scary grinding noises from time to time. The grinding noise usually lasts a couple of minutes and then stops, only to return within the next 5 hours, so it's quite a regular thing.
It started about 6 months ago and it doesn't seem to do the discs any harm. The system runs fine as well. (no issues with any game whatsoever) Anyone got an idea how I could fix this? Blowing compressed air into the ventilation holes of the system is one thing, blowing them into the Blu-Ray drive is most likely a whole different affair.

The fans in my 60gig Euro launch system are about as loud/silent as they always were, but my Blu-Ray drive makes some really scary grinding noises from time to time. The grinding noise usually lasts a couple of minutes and then stops, only to return within the next 5 hours, so it's quite a regular thing.
It started about 6 months ago and it doesn't seem to do the discs any harm. The system runs fine as well. (no issues with any game whatsoever) Anyone got an idea how I could fix this? Blowing compressed air into the ventilation holes of the system is one thing, blowing them into the Blu-Ray drive is most likely a whole different affair.

That sounds more like your bearings are going out or the lubrication is lacking (which means your bearings will eventually be going out).

Regards,
SB

Is there a specfic way I should use the compressed air to clean it out? (I like pictures!) I'd hate to push the dust futher onto the mother board or something.

The PC is sitting on top of the AV cabinet so it shouldn't have any heating issues. I also have a Dyson vaccum which can suck harder than a hooker on nickel night. Should I try one of the small attachments and press it against the vents? That can't hurt anything, right?

The heatsink in the ps3 is set up in a great way that makes it easy to clean... at least that is mho from looking at the pics online.

There is that famous youtube video where a japanese program dissasembled a launch unit, not sure if there are online guides though.

Harder than a hooker on nickel night, can you pls elaborate.

Buy a new one, it's evident it's going to fail. No sense prolonging the inevitable. When you get your new one, send me the old one. j/k LOL :)

Tommy McClain

Get compressed air and shoot some air into the console (you can probably stick the nose of the air into the console). This really is only going to break up surface dust though, and won't do a ton of good.

This is something you should make a practice, as it helps to reduce dust buildup over time. As time passes, the dust will "settle" and is harder to blow away using compressed air / vacume.

I wouldn't do that...tbh. Vaccuuming is what is advised in the manual...every month too. If you want to use compressed air, use a vacume at the same time.

What's the danger with compressed air? On thing to be careful with for sure is that vacuum cleaners can build up quite a kick of static electricity when in use. If one is not careful, a charged metal tube is not the smartest thing to be poking around electronic appliances with.

What's the danger with compressed air? On thing to be careful with for sure is that vacuum cleaners can build up quite a kick of static electricity when in use. If one is not careful, a charged metal tube is not the smartest thing to be poking around electronic appliances with.

You should have a plastic nozel on the end of your hoover...

Back