PS3 Games Already Filling Blu-Ray Discs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you want to skip compressing though? It takes time to load data from optical media - surely any opportunity to minimise this is a good thing.

obvious, but think again. What kind of game would be on a 25GB Medium?

PC games normally uncompress and install on the harddrive as well, and there is rarely use for padding etc for streaming.

Yes and size on hard drive is still hovering around 3-5GB, like HAlf Life 2...

The 32/512 argument doesn´t make sense? It´s not like the extra memory will be used for gamecode is it. Afaik (and read here to) the 64MB vs 32MB was one of the reasons why games looked better on the XBOX, sheer simple textures size.

There are other reasons why Xbox games looked better than PS2 games in general.
Anyway, the argument doesn't make sense because by the same logic, games that take up to 1GB or more of RAM on PC should require a lot more storage space.
Obviously there are other variables to game size, other than textures alone, as i've been saying. But it doesn't look like you want to be convinced otherwise so i'm not sure why i'm bothering.

If you have 4.7GB of space it´s kind a hard to use more isn´t it? So if FF12 was made with 1 disc in mind, and no dual layer (for many reasons) it´s pretty obvious that it would fit on SL DVD.

The point is that the devs see how much space they have and work around it! By the same logic, obviously with Bluray devs will try to put in as much as they can, it adds to the value and that's good promotion for the game. But they will not need the extra space just because of textures unless the game is REALLY massive, and we're talking a few times the size of GTA games.

But would you are say that if it had 5 times as much space it wouldn´t or couldn´t have looked better?

On PS2? No of course not. The disc might have more stuff in it, it might have a world that is much bigger, but in the end you will always be constrained by the size of the RAM in the system, which is the point i've been trying to make here looking at 360 and PS3.
FF12 would always look like it does now, PS2-quality textures and models, whether it was on DVD, Bluray or bloody Holodisc, simply because PS2 can only handle so much at any given time (due to processing and RAM limitations). The fact that there might be more space on disc to put more stuff in will never fix the fundamental problem that PS2 is useless with textures, mainly due to the RAM. The limit is not the disc, it's the processing and RAM in the system. As such, increasing the size of the disc without first increasing the capabilities of processors and capacity of RAM will not give you "better graphics". That is valid when looking at the 360 to PS3 comparison situation. Having the same amount of RAM will always mean that ultimately the games will look pretty much the same, texture-wise, and Bluray is never going to change that.

obvious, but think again. What kind of game would be on a 25GB Medium?

Eh? Your point seemed to be that a DVD9 game would cost the same to develop as a BR25 game since the only difference would be that all the data on the BR25 media would be uncompressed - the extra space wouldn't be used for anything else. If that isn't what your saying, I think you need to be a bit more specific since we must be getting our wires crossed.

3. They have a good reason for Needing extra storage space, less compression more marketing.
Wrong. Games are compressed not for storage space constraints but for load times. It's faster to load a 100kb file and decompress it to 500kb then it is to load the uncompressed 500kb file from an optical drive. Not using compressed material on BRD just to fill up the disk would result in extremely long load times and negligable ability to stream content. It would be a stupid thing to do, and a gobsmackingly stupid thing for Sony to force onto developers that would make their console look like a pile of smelly poo, taking 5x longer to load a game than XB360 and yet looking the same.

Anyhow, this is an old discussion and all the points have been raised before. I can't see that another comment from a Sony spokesperson saying the same things they've been saying all along is adding anything new to the discussion - there's nothing that can be added until we get real breakdowns of disc contents to see where and how the extra space is being used.

Or more like other games, but why use those as an example?

Your right why bother, so i wont.

Hey, if believing that Bluray will make games suddenly "look better" makes you feel better about your future purchase, then by all means don't listen to me and be happy!!

Wrong. Games are compressed not for storage space constraints but for load times. It's faster to load a 100kb file and decompress it to 500kb then it is to load the uncompressed 500kb file from an optical drive. Not using compressed material on BRD just to fill up the disk would result in extremely long load times and negligable ability to stream content. It would be a stupid thing to do, and a gobsmackingly stupid thing for Sony to force onto developers that would make their console look like a pile of smelly poo, taking 5x longer to load a game than XB360 and yet looking the same.

Anyhow, this is an old discussion and all the points have been raised before. I can't see that another comment from a Sony spokesperson saying the same things they've been saying all along is adding anything new to the discussion - there's nothing that can be added until we get real breakdowns of disc contents to see where and how the extra space is being used.

okay guys... i know it goddamnit, stop tell me why content have to be compressed! Man... :D . The point was:

You always can "fill" 25GB or 50GB with gamedata but what data would that be? Like full featured movies in TV's in that new The Darkness game? C'mon. Who needs that? They obviously trying to find a reason why 25GB of storage Space is neccessary which just isn't @the moment!

You always can "fill" 25GB or 50GB with gamedata but what data would that be? Like full featured movies in TV's in that new The Darkness game? C'mon. Who needs that? They obviously trying to find a reason why 25GB of storage Space is neccessary which just isn't @the moment!

Yeah, like DVDs would only contain FMVs, what else should there be exceeding 650MB ;) Hang in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back