PS3 firmware updated to 1.82

B3D News

Beyond3D News
Regular
During an update of its network content, Sony made available a new firmware version for its console. A new video format playback support was added, as well as the backward compatibility functions of the console were updated for some games.

Read the full news item

The update seems to have broken multiplayer play for a lot of people, myself included. I can't play Resistance: Fall of Man online anymore...network initialization error. Folks on AVSforums report the same.

The 1.82 update is fine. I can play RFOM after the firmware upgrade. I think Asher is refering to the RFOM game patch. I could not get in initially too... but was able to sign in @ 7:00pm the same day to complete a few games. So it was probably due to the load. I have not tried playing since then (am away from home).

EDIT: Just checked the GAF Resistance thread, it seems th match making is broken... that's why people are having issues entering into ranked games. Insomniac is probably looking into it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noob question here... if I get a new PS3 and don't have internet connection for sometime (moving)... would I have the latest FW already installed?

Not sure what you're asking 22psi. You can always update your PS3 via Internet or via disk (e.g., download image on a PC).

Noob question here... if I get a new PS3 and don't have internet connection for sometime (moving)... would I have the latest FW already installed?

Well all the new PS3's I ve seen and asked about come with FW 1.5.

So most likely none of the PS3's come with any of the newly released firmwares already preinstalled in the package. You will have to update it by yourself.

Try to download the firmware on a mem stick or something or ask for someone to give it to you.

When I went with my friend to get his we asked the employee at the store if he could do it for us right there. Fortunately he had a mem stick with the latest firmware in it and updated it :)

The 1.82 update is fine. I can play RFOM after the firmware upgrade. I think Asher is refering to the RFOM game patch. I could not get in initially too... but was able to sign in @ 7:00pm the same day to complete a few games. So it was probably due to the load. I have not tried playing since then (am away from home).

I haven't played RFOM in many months. I was trying to get the patch, when getting the error.

That looks to be it. Just a case of bad timing, then.

Edit: Is it still down? When I try to jump online with RFOM, I get this error: "Network connection failed. Disconnecting from network."

Yeah I'm still getting that (or was as of last night) but I think I read somewhere on GAF that they expect the situation to continue until Monday. I should caveat that with a repeat of I think I read that.

But I also think it was a problem restricted to Euro players.

Nope. It should be a major firmware version jump if they make that happen. BTW, the latest Resistance patch adds XMB buddy list and XMB payment (for buying the map pack) in-game now.

Back