[PS3] Final Fantasy Versus XIII

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/09/nomura_on_ffvsxiii_trailer/

It seems that there's been a bit of debate about what areas of the Tokyo Game Show Final Fantasy Versus XIII trailer are real time and what's pre-rendered. Tetsuya Nomura has responded via Twitter.

The opening sequence of the Versus trailer which shows a close-up of main character Noctis is part of a pre-rendered movie, said Nomura. Everything else is real time footage of the game being actually controlled.

I saw the trailer for Agito and Versus on youtube before they took it down, and I gotta say wow.

I'm really liking what I'm seeing for AgitoXIII, a lot of magic and special effects taking place in real-time, and seeing some of the monsters' attacks interacting with the building structures is seriously good. It's actually what I'd thought Crisis Core was gonna turn out to be, but man was I disappointed.

I'm still interested in VersusXIII and the footage I saw doesn't change that. The only thing I'm concerned for is the open field structure, they -aside from monsters maybe occupying them- look pretty empty at this point (that might change of course). I don't expect a complete open-world for a RPG, but I hope there's some actual buildings in those areas that serve some real purpose. Even with or without the comment Nomura made on the game's battle-speed I still like the way combat looks. I can only imagine how hectic it's gonna be once Noctis is leveled up to have some of the abilities he used in earlier trailers.

Last edited by a moderator:
ya, very impress with Agito, so was the last game on PSP (kingdom hearts), but frame rate looks horrible. Versus however look nothing special to me.

Personally I am very very impressed with Versus visuals. The lighting effects and detail look like a big step up from 13.

It has an Overworld like pre-FFX. How the thing work in game like Versus that is big question mark.

Are you referring to the original FFX unvailing where Tidus was originally black haired and walked in an open environment which supposedly also demonstrated some canned online features?

Are you referring to the original FFX unvailing where Tidus was originally black haired and walked in an open environment which supposedly also demonstrated some canned online features?

I suspect he's referring to Final Fantasy's before FFX, that had world maps that were traversable outside of the airship (with towns and so on). If memory serves me, X had a literal world map where you just selected the destination.

I suspect he's referring to Final Fantasy's before FFX, that had world maps that were traversable outside of the airship (with towns and so on). If memory serves me, X had a literal world map where you just selected the destination.

Yeah thats true. FFX was the first to remove the traversable world. Probably thats what he ment

Regardless I remember a leaked video of FFX (alpha or beta version) which showed a different version (FF11 announcement was also leaked). In particular it showed a black haired Tidus in an open world running. I think it was the large area with the green fields that we find near the end of the game. The camera unlike the final release was freely controlled. It reminded of the large map that the characters free roamed in, in older final fantasies. Although this time the surrounding visuals looked realistic and not like a desk globe. :p

They also demonstrated online features in that one. I think the original features were scrapped and moved over to FF11

Yeah thats true. FFX was the first to remove the traversable world. Probably thats what he ment

Regardless I remember a leaked video of FFX (alpha or beta version) which showed a different version (FF11 announcement was also leaked). In particular it showed a black haired Tidus in an open world running. I think it was the large area with the green fields that we find near the end of the game. The camera unlike the final release was freely controlled. It reminded of the large map that the characters free roamed in, in older final fantasies. Although this time the surrounding visuals looked realistic and not like a desk globe. :p

They also demonstrated online features in that one. I think the original features were scrapped and moved over to FF11

I remember that video as well, along with the rumored/announced/hinted at online features. It was a grainy shakey cam video, if memory serves me. I remember being very impressed with the graphics of that video at the time.

The fight against the Behemoth looks fantastic. The more natural environment on the other hand? Not so much. Grand Pulse looked a hell of a lot better.

I think it's been said that you can drive a car in the open-field to get around faster. Like I said in my last post, I hope there's more to the open-field than an empty area you're gonna travel through.

I think it's been said that you can drive a car in the open-field to get around faster. Like I said in my last post, I hope there's more to the open-field than an empty area you're gonna travel through.

Yes it was stated in last June scans
The movement of the clouds in the game are controlled by the physics engine in the game.
- The game employs an open field concept, so you can travel anywhere except into mountains.
- The encounter system is a mix of random and visible encounters
- Battles are seamless. The only loading in the game will occur when moving between very large areas. They’re aiming for the ultimate in seamlessness.
- Objects along the paths of roads can be destroyed
- Most people will not believe their eyes when they see the high quality of the battles in motion.
- The staff are highly motivated now.
- There will still be improvements and more polish on the visuals made, the visuals in the screens are the game running at the moment.
- You’ll be able to use a car as promised. You can exit it and move on foot at any time as well.
- Enemies will be visible on the field, and while some enemies are wandering around, others will suddenly appear and surprise you. (This clarifies what the random and visible comment meant, and it also confirms that game will be similar to FFXII in that sense.)

Here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72vckLXI7x4

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to hear that its going to offer the ability to travel everywhere and use a car.

Brings back memories of FF8 :)

Fabula Nova Crystallis Conference rescheduled and renamed to accommodate more game updates:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/13/fabula_nova_crystalls_conf_change/

The Fabula Nova Crystallis Conference is no more. Square Enix has changed the event's name to "Square Enix 1st Production Department Premier."

Going along with the name change, Square Enix opened an information page for the event with some preliminary details.

The 1st Production Department Premier event will be held on January 18 at the Toho Cinemas theater in Roppongi Hills (not the originally announced 1/11). This is one of Square Enix's favorite premier spots. Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy VII Advent Children were both shown here first.

You'll be disappointed one more time. :p
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/20/fabula_conf_streaming/

Square Enix has opened up registration for January's 1st Production Department Premier event, an event that was formerly known as the "Fabula Nova Crystallis Conference."

Members of the "Square Enix Members" fan site are able to put their names down to attend the event, which takes place on the evening of January 18 at the Toho Cinemas in Roppongi. Only 300 will be invited across the event's two showings (one at 18:00 and one at 20:00).

The event's second showing will also be streamed live through Nico Nico Video, Square Enix announced today. This will be limited to 10,000 people, also selected via drawing through the Square Enix Members site.

Some more details via translated tweets:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/21/fabula_conf_detailed/

The event will be attended by an unannounced MC as well as the staff of the various games. In between footage of the games, the staff will explain the product.

Video footage will be the main focus of the January event, said Nomura. He contrasted this to last week's Jump Festa event, where demos were the main focus.

Asked what games to expect at the event, Nomura said, "In addition to the Fabula Nova Crystallis related titles, there will be Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts 3D and Dissidia Duodicim Final Fantasy."

"Fabula Nova Crystallis" is the term for the general series that includes Final Fantasy XIII, Agito XIII, Versus XIII, and possibly other games as well. Regarding Versus, Nomura said that main character Noctis will at last speak. Different from the image videos that we've seen until now, the Versus footage that's shown at the event will include actual footage from the game, said Nomura, although he warned that what we see will be before the visuals have been given a quality up.

Back