[PS3] Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Okay he mentions Noctis saving the "last remaining crystal" yet its all over the place in FFXIII and its XIII which looks to be set in a future timeline compared to Versus. wtf !

( gold saucer mini games, chocobo farming game, quest for ultimate materias and weapons ) and I think that were the missing RPG elements that FFXIII missed and lacked.
I don't think those stuff qualify as RPG elements ...more like additional contents & extras.
And you do have quests for items,accessories/materials in FFXIII. As far as RPG elements go FFXIII is on par with other FF games, its not missing.

P.S. [I also like the story,characters the voice work....my only complains were lack of ability to revisit all locations prior to chapter 11 and missing extras like (card games or the annoying Blitzball)..while these were still half assed stuff, they atleast served their purpose ie. provide a break from the grinding & fighting. I remember Isamu Kamikokuryou once mentioned they had tons of contents removed from the final game before release, donno why.]

Last edited by a moderator:
That's right. XIII, agito XIII and versus XIII share the same Universe but have different world , different characters not related to each others. And take place in different period of times.
I assume then that they share the same common physical and metaphysical structure, otherwise I don't see the point of claiming they're in the same universe. That'd be like calling RDR "Halo:Redemption" because it's in the same universe, despite being a different time, different people! Do we know of any parallels between the titles that tie them together?

I didn't play FFXIII but I read that Kitaze said that they really focused on the relationship between the team members of the party in FFXIII. He also wants to make a FFXIII-2.

I remember that interview. I think he wanted to make FFXIII-2 because they spent a lot of time creating the world and set up the characters.

Not sure it'd attract massive crowd.

from my point of view I also care about storyline, but like in FFVII I was moreamazed and attracked by the content ( gold saucer mini games, chocobo farming game, quest for ultimate materias and weapons ) and I think that were the missing RPG elements that FFXIII missed and lacked.

The exploration is missing. Honestly, I may not be able to finish the game if it's open world. Many people, including myself, expected some sort of exploration in FFXIII regardless. I wished they'd shown Gran Pulse earlier. Or make fewer and deeper levels in the game. I rather enjoyed the mini-game where we repair Vanille's pet robot.

Crystals , just like the name suggests Fabula Nova Crystallis (the New Tale of the Crystal). And as square mentioned, they all share common mythos.

So it's Fal'Cie and l'Cie all over again ?

I thought the premise of fal'Cie and l'Cie was pretty good. It was an easy way to put characters in dramatic situations, forcing them to choose between l'Cie focus and their personal goals. It's just that FFXIII didn't succeed building some kind of cohesive story around that (IMO). Maybe it'll change with Versus.

ps.
I still maintain that 'normal-looking' world of Versus is ancient Gran Pulse.

I think i just hope that the story is crafted and told in a cohesive and proper manner. While by the end of FFXIII i tought the story was ok (not great but ok), i didn't even understand what almost every person speaking in a cutscene was on about until i was about 30 hours into the game already. I just didn't get what the Fal'Cie and the L'Cie were all about and talk about a "focus" and girls turning into ice (which i later discovered were the "Crystals"). It just all felt a bit wishy washy, and in all honesty a bit like a rather contrived way of making a simple story sound unecessarily "complicated" and "sophisticated". Outside of that the characters and dialogue made it feel more like a Spicegirls movie to me... especially the end which felt like i was watching a bad episode of Power Rangers... cringeworthy...

FFVII has and will always will be my favourite FF, mainly because the story was gripping, had lots of tension, was engaging and most of all was simple enough for me in my impressionable youth to understand. There were no silly sounding names for things just for the sake of it. And though you were thrown into the thick of it at the beginning of the game without knowing much, they began in the early stages introducing you to the characters first and the setting in Midgar, before eevn letting you here about the greater global issues and conflicts going on... it's what made the game so epic for me, as it felt like a very micro-scale drama unfolding in the city about evil coorperations and militant tree-huggers, and then once you left midgar slowly grew into an epic story of a world on the brink of global catastrophe... best game ever imho :D

I've been praying for a FF since 7 that uses a similar method to tell an equally awesome story... unfortunately i've been dissapointed ever time (bar FF8, and FF10 was close untill they wrecked it at the end).

I'm secretly hoping that FF vs XIII is so long before FFXIII that the story is almost completely different apart from them sharing some similar themes. And i REALLY hope they use different names than the "Fal'Cie and L'Cie" if they make the game about that.

I just want them to shorten the story. MGS4 and FFXIII are way too long and draggy. Gran Pulse has no story, but it's half of FFXIII.

I just want them to shorten the story. MGS4 and FFXIII are way too long and draggy. Gran Pulse has no story, but it's half of FFXIII.

Once again, I see you suggesting to cannibalize one of my beloved franchises! :devilish: Have you no shame, sir?!?

j/k :p

I concur. I'm sworn off Japanese RPGs because they are overly long and have inane grind etc. They're a time-sink and should be tightened up IMO.

[Fetch hacksaw from garage]

I'll do it for them if they don't have time !

I concur. I'm sworn off Japanese RPGs because they are overly long and have inane grind etc. They're a time-sink and should be tightened up IMO.

I can't believe what I'm hearing! *covers his ears* Keep your dirty hands off my long winded mellow drama!

In all seriousness, FFXII didn't really seem to have much grind, though (just as an example, or perhaps exception). There was plenty optional grind, if you wanted to enjoy the battle system. But I think you could pretty much play through with very little grinding (so long as you didn't skip any fights along the way). Although it was definitely long (for better or worse).

Some fans would also argue that the grinding and game length are staples of these type of games (or have been in the past). That's not to say it shouldn't be changed. The only question is, is there enough current demand for that change from customers to have a net positive effect on sales (taking into account potential losses in sales from fans of the way things currently are)?

Game mechanics will continue to progress as we move along in the industry, but, of the many things I think need to be changed with your typical JRPGs, the grinding and length are not among them.

I can't believe what I'm hearing! *covers his ears* Keep your dirty hands off my long winded mellow drama!
That's okay, I wouldn't touch them. Different strokes for different folks, let those (weird) people who like JRPGs have them. They're just not for me, and after Level 5's Rogue Galaxy, a good game, I made myself promise to myself not to get suckered in by their fancy Japanese artworks and interesting stories. Valkyria Chronicles was a cruel deception that had me at the mercy of the Japanese quirks once again, so I've had to extend my cautiousness. :oops:

Yeah FFXIII doesn't have much grind. I'm thankful for that. I can't remember the story anymore.

At least for MGS4, I can remember Sn... Sn... Mei Ling's ass, Rosemary's SIXAXIS boobs, and the 4 beauties in white background.

I'm not a good choice for editing MGS4, am I right ?

That's okay, I wouldn't touch them. Different strokes for different folks, let those (weird) people who like JRPGs have them. They're just not for me, and after Level 5's Rogue Galaxy, a good game, I made myself promise to myself not to get suckered in by their fancy Japanese artworks and interesting stories. Valkyria Chronicles was a cruel deception that had me at the mercy of the Japanese quirks once again, so I've had to extend my cautiousness. :oops:

Different strokes, indeed. You just listed 2 of my favorite games of any generation!

Yeah FFXIII doesn't have much grind. I'm thankful for that. I can't remember the story anymore.

At least for MGS4, I can remember Sn... Sn... Mei Ling's ass, Rosemary's SIXAXIS boobs, and the 4 beauties in white background.

**thinks for a moment**

Actually, I'd say that's pretty darn good edit. :LOL:

Say what? :oops: Now you're gonna force me to replay.........:devilish:

MGS4 is an epic saga of a lone soldier's journey to save the world.

"..."

Try to focus on "save the world".

My heart is gerieved to the point of death when I hear so many pleas to the Japanese to bastardize the mechanics of Jrpgs, just so that they can appear or play more like western ones... It shames me that I belong to a consumer group that does not support niche games doing what they do best, but desires all games to play the same way or have the same or similar features (a contrived way of "mainstreaming").

As much as i hated the liniarity of FFXIII I loved the intricacy and nuance of it's battle, item and upgrade system. I loved that Square didn't try to pander to the masses (that let's face it, never played jrpgs before anyway) and made FFXIII into the 40+ hour epic that it is. FF games by definitition are meant to be enjoyed as such.

I'd agree that the story in FFXIII was puffed out and draggy... but SE shouldn't be looking to cut it in the next one at all... instead they should be looking to enrich the story and pacing of the game so that it never actually "feels" like a time sink. FFVII did this perfectly in my opinion, along with games like Xenogears (my two fav games ever). Although both rather prolonged experiences, they were absolutely incredible thrill rides that took you from place to place without ever feeling like the game was dragging or taking too long.

I personally don't want JRPGs to get shorter. Rather i'd like them to just have better stories and voice actors...

There's one thing i've notice particularly with JRPGs in general over the last two generations; it's that by giving voice to the characters in the games it in most cases doesn't ever do the games any favours (and in many cases makes you as a player end up hating some of the characters - see Star Ocean). FF games are certainly no exception...

Hopefuly FF vs XIII can buck that trend :p

Back