[PS3] Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Yes, by losing the numerical series, because these were side products. As FFXIII Vs. has absolutely nothing to do with FFXIII, not in content, style or gameplay, does it make any sense to still call it FFXIII? Just call it FF Versus or something, just as they did FF Tactics instead of FFVII Tactics.

Yes, adding in the XIII definitely muddies that a bit. It has the potential to lead a person into thinking it's an expansion of FFXIII which it isn't. I had assumed it was at least in the same world, just a different part of it. Thus, why the XIII was warranted. Is this not the case?

Regards,
SB

Not AFAIK, but I'm not follwoing it closely. I thought FFXII Vs. is set in a world that closer mirrors ours.

They already explained the Fabula Nova Crystallis project before FFXIII was launched. I think I posted a link in this thread. Wiki has more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabula_Nova_Crystallis_Final_Fantasy_XIII

Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy XIII​ (ファブラ ノヴァ クリスタリス ファイナルファンタジーXIII Fabura Nova Kurisutarisu Fainaru Fantajī Sātīn?) is the collective name of a series of games made under the Final Fantasy XIII label by Square Enix. Made in the same vein as the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII and the Ivalice Alliance, Fabula Nova Crystallis (which means "the New Tale of the Crystal" in Latin) is based on various worlds and different characters, but each game will be "ultimately based on and expand upon a common mythos." According to Square Enix, they all take place in the same world but in different time periods and there is no cooperation between the teams of the various titles, the only connection being a "vague crystal theme".[1]

I think XIII is the generation of the game. Has nothing to do with the game content. The core gamers should already know that long ago (Well, I only played FFVIII and FFXIII and I know :p)

I think XIII is the generation of the game. Has nothing to do with the game content. The core gamers should already know that long ago (Well, I only played FFVIII and FFXIII and I know :p)
If that's true, how many other numbered Final Fantasies have there been that weren't the main title? AFAICS according to Wikipedia, there's are three, all sequels to the original iteration, and a host of VII spinoffs which are all set in the VII universe, being prequels or sequels to the events of VII.

I don't think there is a hard rule. It's just that SE has been using the numerals to refer to their generation of FF games. FF7 being the most beloved. Their CEO mentioned that he hopes to see his teams try something new. So they may evolve the way they structure their franchises moving forward.

I don't think there is a hard rule. It's just that SE has been using the numerals to refer to their generation of FF games.
I don't think that's true. The numbers denote universes, it appears. Every game of the same number has appeared in the same universe, meaning a general continuity even between different genres. A game of the same number shouldn't be set somewhere else with no relation to the main numbered title. Heck, Vs. is coming out after XIV so isn't even the same generation as XIII!

I mean generation of projects (for planning and business purposes), not generation of game world or characters. :)

The 3 FFXIII games happen in different worlds with unrelated characters -- only share loose crystal themes. FFX and FFX-2 happen in the same universe (same characters), but they may also reuse project resources as a result.

X-2 was numbered X-2 because it was a direct sequel to X, and only came into being because X was a success. I don't think the business generation had anything to do with it. VII consisted of lots of games using lots of different, unrelated engines on different platforms spread over lots of years, so can't all have been conceived and planned for within the same business generation. Or are you telling me the mobile phone game "Before Crisis : FFVII" was conceived in 1997 alongside FFVII and held in development for 7 years before the tech was ready to enable it? :p

I don't think they follow strict rules. They simply increment the numeral for every generational release. In FFXIII, we know the same series number could refer to different worlds/universes.

As for sequels, they will have to keep the same numeral to maintain continuity.

I don't think they follow strict rules. They simply increment the numeral for every generational release.
That's not true, because they release games without any version number. The only games with version numbers are games related to the main iteration of the main franchise. Every other FF game either doesn't have a main number, or has a main number because it is a related spin-off or sequel to the main one - the inclusion of the number denotes a realtionship to the original game, as if to say, "if you liked FFn, you'll like FFn:SpinOff as it has the same characters/world/gameplay." FFXIII would be the first FF title to feature the main number and not be related to the main game in any way.

Those without numbers may be smaller projects ?

All along I assumed that FF series numbers do not carry any significance to the games' content. They are all rather different. Direct sequels keep the same numeral for obvious reason, but I think it's also possible that they change the number for some "different enough" sequel.

Those without numbers may be smaller projects ?

All along I assumed that FF series numbers do not carry any significance to the games' content.
I don't play much FF so couldn't say for sure, but AFAIK every game including a number is related to the original, set in the same universe. That is, each FF game is set in a different universe with different characters, though common elements that make it FF, like Chocobo's and the magics, and the version numbers by my understanding denote the universe which means content and continuity is preserved across titles in that number range. It only needs someone to throw up one example of where a numbered spinoff isn't related to the main title to prove that SE have a precedent for marketing distinct, unrelated projects under the same 'version number' and FF vs. XIII is no different.

Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy XIII​ (ファブラ ノヴァ クリスタリス ファイナルファンタジーXIII Fabura Nova Kurisutarisu Fainaru Fantajī Sātīn?) is the collective name of a series of games made under the Final Fantasy XIII label by Square Enix. Made in the same vein as the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII and the Ivalice Alliance, Fabula Nova Crystallis (which means "the New Tale of the Crystal" in Latin) is based on various worlds and different characters, but each game will be "ultimately based on and expand upon a common mythos." According to Square Enix, they all take place in the same world but in different time periods and there is no cooperation between the teams of the various titles, the only connection being a "vague crystal theme".[

Didnt that quote say that the different FFXIII games all take place in the same world but at different time periods?

Last edited by a moderator:
So its either old Cocoon or Gran Pulse in its heydays. Cause looking at the Versus trailer it looks as if the technology is quite a bit dated than the one we found in FFXIII's cocoon.

Or did he meant same "universe"...which would mean a different planet/place altogether.

I think it's the same universe but different places. The wiki quote also says, "based on various worlds and different characters".

I think it's the same universe but different places. The wiki quote also says, "based on various worlds and different characters".

That's right. XIII, agito XIII and versus XIII share the same Universe but have different world , different characters not related to each others. And take place in different period of times.

XIII was said to be the more futuristic and took place in a future where advanced technology wasevery where.
Versus XIII will be the darkest of all three, taking place in a world close to " our world visually "
Agito XIII will be the past, introducing more " knights armored and wizzards characters.

Square-Enix has described the plot as all the games taking places in the same universe but being based on seperate worlds (metaphorically obviously). They've also stated that the Fabula Nova Crystallis Compilation is expected to span over many years.

Final Fantasy XIII is set in a futuristic world controlling advanced technology and magical crystals...

Final Fantasy Versus XIII takes place in a dark, gloomy unknown city ruled by a young prince named Noctis. He is fighting to defend the last remaining Crystal.
http://finalfantasyversusxiii.net//final-fantasy-versus-xiii/

when I watched the first screens of Versus XIII world with Noctis I really thought of this footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72vckLXI7x4&

I really hope it gives this feeling of liberty on the worldmap lol.

Yeah, it seems that a lot of people want the worldmap back. I'm ok if they give me something similar to Gran Pulse but add more (quicker) transport options.

I think the team may also want to focus on the story more. FFXIII is a let down in this aspect. IMHO, MGS4 is half good and half bad but it has a long history/continuity for fans to rest on. Hopefully Square-Enix can trim some of the fats away early coz each FF story is different. We most likely won't have the emotion tie to carry us all the way if the story is half bad.

Yeah, it seems that a lot of people want the worldmap back. I'm ok if they give me something similar to Gran Pulse but add more (quicker) transport options.

But I think the team may also want to focus on the story more. FFXIII is a let down in this aspect. IMHO, MGS4 is half good and half bad (but it has a long history/continuity to rest on). Hopefully Square-Enix can trim some of the fats away early coz each FF story is different. We most likely won't have the emotion tie to carry us all the way if the story is half bad.

Yup Nomura already confirmed that there will be a car and a ship which will be used on the worldmap.
I didn't play FFXIII but I read that Kitaze said that they really focused on the relationship between the team members of the party in FFXIII. He also wants to make a FFXIII-2.

from my point of view I also care about storyline, but like in FFVII I was moreamazed and attracked by the content ( gold saucer mini games, chocobo farming game, quest for ultimate materias and weapons ) and I think that were the missing RPG elements that FFXIII missed and lacked.

I would love to see that back in Versus XIII like anentertainment center, or mini games and challenges and especially hidden things and items to look for. Putting all those without distracting the player from the main storyline and continuing the game properly.

Back