[PS3] Final Fantasy Versus XIII

According to Andriasang.com, they showed gameplay footage:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/09/2a4/playable_ff_versus_xiii_footage/

While we've been seeing realtime footage of Stella and Noctis's first meeting since last year's DK-something-something-90210 event, the new TGS video offered a first look at gameplay -- that is, someone was clearly moving a character around. I'm pretty sure that character was Noctis. A series of clips showed Noctis moving around through the streets of a European-style city, first surrounded by other people, and then alone at night. Next, the footage switched to Noctis moving about a vast field. Here, he was joined by monsters, some massive. I was actually reminded of a scene of Hope running around FFXIII's vast Pulse fields in the TGS FFXIII trailer.

When referring to the Versus XIII TGS showing, I use "footage" instead of "trailer" because what we were shown wasn't actually a trailer. The footage was all off-screen, filmed off presumably development units by the development staff. It was set to the same music from past trailers, but there wasn't any attempt to make a promotional trailer out of the various gameplay clips.

The male lead is SO very Sasuke like, same hair style, same red eyes when pissed off, same elitist attitude and the same ability to attract hot females.

A little new info, albeit not much substantial. Although, I see a few tibits of info have come out since the last time someone posted in this thread: Namely, that the game might not be shown at E3 since they decided to change the world map system.

Stolen from GAF:
Actually, it's from an interview with Nomura in S-E Members site:

Quote:
Q,ヴェルサスは何%ぐらいできてるんでしょうかね?
野村「まだ全部つなげていないので、各パートで進行度が違います。
   ただ、飛空艇でワールドマップは飛べますよ。」

Q,何歳まで現役を?
野村「自分の将来像は、考えていません。」

Q,野村さんが一番気に入っているキャラは誰?
野村「自分が描いたキャラクターは、みんな好きですが、
   一番付き合いが多いソラは特別です。」

Q,DFFの続編を検討中って話がどうなったか、気になる……!
野村「『ディシディア ファイナルファンタジー』の続編、がんばります!」

Q,コナミの小島氏とネットラジオで色々対談されましたが、その後の関係は?
野村「小島さんからは、たまに食事に誘っていただいています。」

Q,ツイッター始めてほしいです。
野村「つぶやくことが...ありません。」

Q,最新情報は?
野村「プロデューサーの橋本さんに止められています。」

Q,関わりのある作品の近況、遊んでいるゲームや趣味は?
野村「年内に2本は発売したいです。遊んでいるゲームは、「バトルフィールド2」をクリアして、「ヘビーレイン」を遊び始めました。ゲーム以外の趣味は、映像関 係全般をなんでも見ることです。」

Nomura confirms worldmap/airships on worldmap, but doesn't give a percentage done for Versus XIII.

From evil_maki on gamefaqs:

1. Current progress of games you're currently working on, games currently playing and non-gaming hobby?
Nomura: I want to release two games within this year. Just recently finished "Battlefield 2" and started playing "Heavy Rain". For other hobbies, I try to watch all sorts of motion pictures.

2. I would like to know the current progress of Versus 13, Agito 13 and 3rd Birthday, and also when new information will be revealed.
Nomura: Producer Hashimoto isn't letting me.

3. You used to be on Kojima (Hideo)'s net radio for awhile, but how are things between you two now?
Nomura: Sometimes Kojima invite me to lunch.

4. I would like you to start using Twitter.
Nomura: I have... nothing to tweet about.

5. I'm curious over what happened to your consideration over a Dissidia FF sequel!
Nomura: I'll try my best to work on Dissidia FF's sequel!

6. Until of what age do you think you'll be actively working in this job?
Nomura: I haven't thought much about my future.

7. How much percentage of Versus XIII is done so far?
Nomura: Not everything is connected yet; each part of the game is progressing differently. Oh, but we got the airship to fly on the World Map now.

8. You've done all sorts of character designs for FF, KH, Parasite Eve, Subaseka and so on; who is your most favourite?
Nomura: I like all of the characters I created but Sora is the most special because of the many associations he brought to me.

I get the feeling we're looking at a late 2011 release for Japan. 2012 globally.

That's great ! I hope they add some "real-life elements" to the game, like Heavy Rain. In FFXIII, the art and story are so far out that I can't relate to the game adequately.

The relationship between Sazh and his son is good, but it's a little too shallow after playing HR.

This is all IMHO of course.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/05/18/ff_versus_xiii_multiplatform/

As reported at Impress Watch, when asked if it would be best to give Versus a multiplatform release on Xbox 360, Wada replied "We'll be looking into it internally until right before the formal announcement."

The question was asked in relation to Final Fantasy XIII and the possibility of the game's Xbox 360 release having helped to extend sales overseas.

By "formal announcement," Wada is presumably referring to the proper unveiling of Versus. While we've seen plenty of trailers for the game, most recently via a short teaser clip at December's Jump Festa event, Square Enix has yet to show gameplay footage outside of some camera-grabbed teaser footage that was shown at last year's Tokyo Game Show.

The game's formal unveiling is widely expected to take place at next month's E3 expo in Los Angeles, although director Tetsuya Nomura has given some hints that it could come later.

Now I regret rejecting a game industry position years ago. >_<

It seems that the game industry is very fun:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/05/19/wada_clarifies_versus_xiii_statement/

Tweeted Wada early Wednesday (around 6:00AM): "It looks like the 'net is heating up. Versus on Xbox? What I said at the earnings press conference was just that until the launch time frame is formally announced, all points about all titles are not finalized."

Wada also used his Twitter account to clarify a few other points from the press conference.

A follower said he was shocked when he saw that Last Remnant was not on a slide that seemed to show the IPs that Square Enix hopes to strengthen. Wada responded that the slide, shown below, was not the list of IPs Square Enix hopes to strengthen, but was just meant to show that Square Enix has a bunch of properties. There's no meaning in the listed names.

A bunch of Versus XIII info hit the net today:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/23/flying_get/

Also from the Nomura interview:

* The game's cloud effects use real physics calculations

* The world is an open field, and you can go everywhere except for the mountains

* The battles are seamless

* The game's encounter system is both random and symbol-based (meaning you can see enemies in advance). Hmm... what could this mean?

* The game's world is mostly seamless, although there are some load points when you switch between the massive areas.

* You can destroy objects that you find on the road.

* The quality of the combat scenes is so high that people will not be able to believe it when they first see it.

* The staff is excited about making the game.

Nomura also confirms that the screens in the magazine are all realtime, captured off the PlayStation 3. Of course, this won't mean much until we can actually see the screens...

This update comes from FF Reunion. The Square Enix fan site reports the following bits, presumably based off various flying get sources from Famitsu and Dengeki, both of which seem to have some major Square Enix media this week:

The Versus screenshots show a fight with a weaponized Behemoth in a city.

Square Enix will be showing an unannounced title at TGS. Given the context, I think this means a Nomura game.

Nomura says that the Versus visual quality will improve even beyond what's shown in the new screenshots.

Also another surprise:

Remember all that talk of a console version of Ni no Kuni? We now know the platform thanks to Famitsu. The magazine confirms that the game will be coming to PS3.

Leaked images from the magazine show what looks like high quality cell shaded visuals to complement the Studio Ghibli animation. "You'll be able to adventure through a world with the feel of a Studio Ghibli produced animation as is," writes the magazine.

The magazine lists the PS3 version as release date TBA.

Level-5 will be holding its long promised press conference for Ni no Kuni later this week, so additional details will hopefully be shared then.

I have been waiting for a Studio Ghibli game for a long time.

A bunch of Versus XIII info hit the net today:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/23/flying_get/

Also another surprise:

I have been waiting for a Studio Ghibli game for a long time.

Excellent find, patsu. Hopefully the Famitsu scans hit the net soon! I'm eager to see what they've revealed.
Never mind, I wasn't looking hard enough, apparently. :p Quality is too poor for me to make much out

Studio Ghibli didn't ring a bell. Had to Google them. All I needed to see was Howl's Moving Castle and my interested was piqued. :D

EDIT

Almost forgot, some additional clarification from GAF:

- You'll be able to use a car as promised. You can exit it and move on foot at any time as well.
- Enemies will be visible on the field, and while some enemies are wandering around, others will suddenly appear and surprise you. (This clarifies what the random and visible comment meant, and it also confirms that game will be similar to FFXII in that sense.)
- Nomura says they're planning for a big unveiling of Versus at some point, but he doesn't really give any deadline for it.
- There will be some announcements at TGS of titles which have not been revealed at all yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when they couldn't create a more open game because they couldn't maintain the quality.
Whatever as long as they're trying something different with this next Final Fantasy I'll definitely be picking it up. Plus seamless just reading that gives me a smile.
Seamless AC style combat with beautiful HD graphics I love this generation.

I remember when they couldn't create a more open game because they couldn't maintain the quality.
Whatever as long as they're trying something different with this next Final Fantasy I'll definitely be picking it up. Plus seamless just reading that gives me a smile.
Seamless AC style combat with beautiful HD graphics I love this generation.

Actually FF13 can do open areas pretty well while not sacrificing the already set quality in the previous confined areas.

The open area is already slightly compromised in the xb360 version of FFXIII. The framerate doesn't really hold as well as in PS3, the skymap is a much simpler version.

The open area is already slightly compromised in the xb360 version of FFXIII. The framerate doesn't really hold as well as in PS3, the skymap is a much simpler version.

Probably just lazy programmers :p

Oh wait, that only applies when PS3 version lags...

Back