PS3 + EyeToy vs Revolution

These two methods are significantly different enough to lead me to believe eye toy can not completely emulate the revelation controller, though conceptually it can perform something similar. I think the difference will be in the "feel", by this I'm mean sensitivity and ergonomics. These might seem like minor differences but for controllers these are major factors.

Last edited by a moderator:
The revolution controller is going to be great for FPS's because you can rotate the controller to aim.

now imagine, with the eye toy 2 in a FPS. It could be set up to track your eyes so that you aim by looking. It could also be set up so that when your eyes come close to the edge of the screen, your character turns much like a mouse in a pc game. This way, you use the left analogue stick to move your character and your eyes for aiming and turning.

Not sure if this is possible, but if it is, then this beats Revolutions setup for FPS's. the only problem is that developers won't support the eye toy unless Sony bundles it with the system.

Tracking eye movement sounds kinda hard...I'd also want to be able to look independtly of my movements with my eyes as I look all around a scence all the time....I'd probably end up getting dizzy with that kinda setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
winstonsmith1978 said:
The revolution controller is going to be great for FPS's because you can rotate the controller to aim.

now imagine, with the eye toy 2 in a FPS. It could be set up to track your eyes so that you aim by looking. It could also be set up so that when your eyes come close to the edge of the screen, your character turns much like a mouse in a pc game. This way, you use the left analogue stick to move your character and your eyes for aiming and turning.

Not sure if this is possible, but if it is, then this beats Revolutions setup for FPS's. the only problem is that developers won't support the eye toy unless Sony bundles it with the system.

Eye toy 2 isn't going to be tracking anyones eye movements for targetting. Perhaps eye toy 22.

That Gametrak controller looks like it works like a Dual Shock. The strings move the analog sticks around as you move your arms, and it detects how far your arm is from the base by the length of string you've pulled out. A pretty simple way to locate position in 3D. It'll give you three degrees of freedom, but the Revolution controller will give you six.

i just find it intresting that i'd never heard of it even tho it was shown of over a year ago. i heard it had accuracy to the nearest millimeter aswell.

winstonsmith1978 said:
...the only problem is that developers won't support the eye toy unless Sony bundles it with the system.

Yeah, that could be a problem. And with all the predictions that PS3 price is going to be expensive, it will be hard for Sony to include more and more gadgets with PS3. Maybe EyeToy 2 can come bundled with PS3.1, like a year after PS3 launch after Blu-Ray players price drop. Or Sony can make 2 packages for PS3, premium package with EyeToy 2, and regular package (just like Xbox 360). Imagine how much that premium package will cost...

Spaceman-Spiff said:
Yeah, that could be a problem. And with all the predictions that PS3 price is going to be expensive, it will be hard for Sony to include more and more gadgets with PS3. Maybe EyeToy 2 can come bundled with PS3.1, like a year after PS3 launch after Blu-Ray players price drop. Or Sony can make 2 packages for PS3, premium package with EyeToy 2, and regular package (just like Xbox 360). Imagine how much that premium package will cost...

I personally think we'll see the eye toy 2 and a headset bundled with any PS3 priced at $349 or above. The HDD is a different story. Sony will most likely keep the HDD seperate and push the concept that you can turn the PS3 into a computer by getting the HDD(Linux), keyboard and mouse.

I don't see the price being anything other than something in between $299 and $399.

But it sounds like Sony wants to really push the eye toy as a main part to the PS3.

mckmas8808 said:
drop a super small hint about CES and the PS3.
Well, no ;-) But what about that (well, you think it`s easy and lame to say only that, but... ^^): After the CES, ....it will be funny here ;-)

Guden Oden said:
Don't you just love it when people come out of nowhere and make cryptic, yet nebulous claims founded on absolutely nothing?
"founded on nothing"? ^^ Well, my "claims" got real. Always ;-)

Guden Oden said:
Besides, don't you mean keymaster? Then you can start talking about the gatekeeper too...
No, I mean keyholder. For some reason But you won't get it ;-)

Axsider said:
Well, no ;-) But what about that (well, you think it`s easy and lame to say only that, but... ^^): After the CES, ....it will be funny here ;-)

"founded on nothing"? ^^ Well, my "claims" got real. Always

No, I mean keyholder. For some reason But you won't get it ;-)

The only way I'm believing you is if you drop a small but cleaver hint. I hear you saying that the Eyetoy 2 has a small secret in it. Well what can the secret be? We already know that you will be able to talk to people over the internet on it, we already know that you can manipulate objects on the screen with it, and we already now that Sony plans to have many people be able to view what one person's HDIP camera is showing like a internet show (we need lots a pretty girls for this one :devilish:).

We know that it's HD, we know that it can be used while playing a game on a second screen. I mean what other secret can there be?

I was pretty impressed with what Sony showcased at E3 when the Duck Demo / Bathtub Demo enhanced by the Eyetoy. Where the EyeToy guy brought out the cup that was then digitally brought up on the screen and then he could interact with the water with the cup in his hand. Was pretty incredible.

Hopefully that type of thing is utilized in the future, if so then the EyeToy + PS3 is a pretty revolutionary thing all its own.

centerofadmiration said:
I was pretty impressed with what Sony showcased at E3 when the Duck Demo / Bathtub Demo enhanced by the Eyetoy. Where the EyeToy guy brought out the cup that was then digitally brought up on the screen and then he could interact with the water with the cup in his hand. Was pretty incredible.

Hopefully that type of thing is utilized in the future, if so then the EyeToy + PS3 is a pretty revolutionary thing all its own.

And that's what I've been trying to say for months. With a little of imagination the Eyetoy on the PS3 should be amazing. Will it be more useful than the Nintendo wand? No, but great non the less.

Back