PS3 EE+GS powered vs PS3 software emulator powered one

Simon82

Newcomer
Just curious, did someone compared two different console in compatibility, cpu usage, quality accuracy ecc...

Bye

That's right. The EE was removed from the 80GB units in order to reduce cost, and emulted via software. The GS, however, remained.

In fact the EE has been removed much earlier from 60GB models, even before the European release of the PS3.

I read somewhere that it wasn't possible to emulate the GS but on the PC they seem to emulate the whole machine. Why isn't this possible then on the PS3 hardware ?

Nothing is impossible, I think it's just Sony dropping BC issues or putting them off for awhile. There are more important things to do than concentrating on BC anyway at the moment. Xbox360's BC sucks as hell, but nobody complains because it has a good lineup of current gen games, so I think in couple of months, when those big titles come out the situation will be similar in PS3 camp.

I read somewhere that it wasn't possible to emulate the GS but on the PC they seem to emulate the whole machine. Why isn't this possible then on the PS3 hardware ?

And you see how well that works lol...

In fact the EE has been removed much earlier from 60GB models, even before the European release of the PS3.

Umm source on that? The 60GB on the shelves were all produced before the 80GB was to be released. Price drop was to clear them all out.

Can't think of source right now (5.30 in the morning, about to go to work ;) ) but all European and South Korean models haven't had EE included from the beginning. Sony got rid of EE in 60 GB US models around the same time.

Can't think of source right now (5.30 in the morning, about to go to work ;) ) but all European and South Korean models haven't had EE included from the beginning. Sony got rid of EE in 60 GB US models around the same time.
No, all US 60GB models have EE and so do Japan 60GB models witch are currently still supplied to stores.

And you see how well that works lol...
From what I've seen it works quite well (FF 12), considering they have virtual zero official information about the EE or GS.

If you think some amateur coders can get output and Sonys team with all the information they could ever want cannot, then you are wrong.

It's just a question of priorities if you ask me.

Can they do it, yes. Is it worth them doing it... well that's all subjective. Personally I couldn't give a stuff, I have a 60gb with emulated EE, GT4 the only PS2 game I have works almost perfectly so it doesn't matter to me at all.

I would like the games rendered at a higher resolution which would be possible with full emulation, but it's not going to make a great deal of difference.

Yes, to be honest I personally know several ppl from PCSX2 team and I also know how hard has been achieving what they already achieved, without any bit of official info about PS2 hardware. In other words Blade47167, a little more respect for them, they do deserve it.

Well, check out this thread for details.

Would you be kind enough to tell us what exactly is there to support your argument? because I don't find anything in support of your theory, infact it is basically public knowledge here at Beyond3d that all 60GB NA models have EE in it. The EE was first taken away from any PS3 model at the Euro launch. In the US EE was removed in the 80GB model and now the 40GB model has neither EE or GS anywhere in the world.

considering they have virtual zero official information about the EE or GS.

There is full hw specifications for ee and gs in the public sanctioned by Sony. Those documents came originally with the ps2 linux kit and have since become available via other sources too. It's all sony approved. The non public parts of ps2 are related to copy protection stuff. PS2 is I would say rather open platform if you get the linux kit(which wasn't even that expensive when it was introduced)

But for me the major question is the performance of pc emulators, can they actually run games with original framerate or is it a slideshow...

Would you be kind enough to tell us what exactly is there to support your argument? because I don't find anything in support of your theory, infact it is basically public knowledge here at Beyond3d that all 60GB NA models have EE in it. The EE was first taken away from any PS3 model at the Euro launch. In the US EE was removed in the 80GB model and now the 40GB model has neither EE or GS anywhere in the world.

Yeh, I did some research and US & JAP 60GB SKUs do indeed have EE up till now. Guys at QJ.NET forums got me confused. European 60GB PS3s have GS only and EE emulated via software, but it works pretty well IMO. In fact I have more problems with PSX games than PS2 (my FFVIII refuses to run at all for example).

But for me the major question is the performance of pc emulators, can they actually run games with original framerate or is it a slideshow...

That depends on you PC specs, but with a good computer you can surely play in their original framerate. Obviously not all games work, some do, some go ingame only and some don't run at all. This is much more complicated than coding a PSX emulators (which still aren't that perfect). Visit http://www.pcsx2.net for details ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Will try pcsx2. Seems mighty impressive after first look.

I tried pcsx2 a long time ago, and it's easily the best PS2 emulator out there. Their PS1 emulator I would say is top notch as well. I wonder how it would perform on my Athlon x2 5600 as compared to my old Gateway laptop's mobile Athlon 64 4000.......

Back