PS3 and Automatic Scaling.

If you TV doesn't support 720p, then it's not HD-Ready, right?
I'm surprised such sets even exist, but in US, where the "HD" sets have been around longer I think there might be some TV's that really are not up to the HD standard any more.
In EU, I think the amount of such displays is virtually zero.
If indeed ther PS3 doesn't scale up or down, it's possible there'll be a firmware update later. That doesn't help you at all though, or others with such displays, so in your case either don't buy a PS3, buy a Wii or xb360 instead, or a new TV.

It's terrible guys. There are TONS of 1080i sets out there that don't support scaling to 720p. I can't believe a 1st party title isn't going to work on all HDTV sets out there. So much for "true HD". LOL.
You're exaggerating this again, as usual :)
A TV that's only 1080i isn't "True HD" anyway, I don't think it deserves the "HD-Ready" badge, maybe "HD-Compatible"

Let's just wait till this weekend, when lots of B3Ders here get theirs and start testing ...

That's basically the problem. Sets were released in their infancy without proper standards and definitions, producing TV sets that aren't capable of displaying all HD content. In the EU we don't have this problem, and as 720p came pretty quickly onto the scene, I don't expect many non-720p TVs out there. For years every TV has been 720p minimum, and supported 720p and 1080i input. If you target 720p output for an HDTV, 99% of HDTVs ought to be able to accept it. HDTVs that can't accept it are like TVs that can't manage HDCP. In a few years, those TVs won't be showing HD content, despite claming to be HDTVs. Stupid industry not sorting itself out, unfortunately.

Still, I can't see much excuse for not being able to select an output mode on the system a la XB360, and let the system scale the display. I thought that was one of the jobs the OS SPE was supposed to do. At the moment that SPE appears to be required to do very little as games don't multitask with XMB.

I'm surprised such sets even exist, but in US, where the "HD" sets have been around longer I think there might be some TV's that really are not up to the HD standard any more.

Yeah, that Sony mentioned upstream appears to be from 2000. Our first Mitsubishi CRT did not do native 720p, but would upconvert to 1080i, as we had an OTA attenna to get HD signals with, as they weren't being carried on cable yet. And I certainly recall watching ABC HD. Thing is, this would have been 2002-ish. . .

not a big deal for those of us whose 1080i tv upscales 720p itself but I use the scaler in the 360 at 1080i because it looks better than my TV's scaler and to eliminate any possible lag.

not a big deal for those of us whose 1080i tv upscales 720p itself but I use the scaler in the 360 at 1080i because it looks better than my TV's scaler and to eliminate any possible lag.

I use the 360 VGA cable to upscale the signal to 1080p... also to avoid lag... and my TV's scaler is not the greatest. (Westinghouse 37") I really hope (for the sake of consumers) that this is not really true... although that post to GAF confirms ERP's comments... (grumble.. grumble..)

MoH

Atleast the ps3 motherboard looks hight tech :)

Jk. But seriously for a $600 unit being advertised as a media box having poor scalar is bad engineering or forethought.

360 is using an analog scaler because it has no digital outputs.

For full digital stream on the PS3 that is not possible. Scaling on the hardware would take up memory for two framebuffers and hinder performance.

PS3 does scale videocontent though.

For full digital stream on the PS3 that is not possible. Scaling on the hardware would take up memory for two framebuffers and hinder performance.
They couldn't scale as they write out? It seems like a small cache on the scaler could easily prevent the need for another frame buffer.

Maybe this is somehow related to how apparently the DVD output (apparently?) isn't scaled yet either?

It must scale something, how about the photos and downloaded trailers, movies etc??
I'm confused.

From what I can gather, everything XMB related will be scaled. Music, BD playback, photos, browser, and the menu itself. DVDs will play in 480p/i. PS1/PS2 games will behave as they normally would. PS3 games do their own thing. That's just what I've currently gathered from bits and pieces of information everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, ok then.
I'm happy as it is then, at least.
My display has a quality Faroudja DCDi scaler, that I'm pretty sure will be better quality than if it were done on PS3.
But it'd be nice to have the choice anyway.

Huh. Make and model?

It's was the first Toshiba 42 inch widescreen HD CRT projector model, I'd have to look at the set to get a model number, but I've fed it 720p signals from several sources over component with the same result.

It's was the first Toshiba 42 inch widescreen HD CRT projector model, I'd have to look at the set to get a model number, but I've fed it 720p signals from several sources over component with the same result.

Same here. Toshiba HX80 or something is the model # of my 50" CRT set. Only accepts 1080i in terms of HD resolutions.

I wonder if Sony was planning on using the cell for scaling to save some money and not include an A/V chip like the 360. They may not have been able to run the OS and a scaling funciton on one SPE so here we are?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure? I'd think it would scale before the DAC.
Here's an image of a PC display pipeline. It gives an idea of what should go where...
pipe.jpg

Back