"...programs seem to stop working after you install SP2

Mine went fine. No issues at all.

From what I can see, it seems the issues covered in those links are all related to the firewall. If you turn off the firewall (I assume that's possible) wouldn't that avoid all these problems?

I'm already using Sygate's firewall so I don't see any need for the one bundled with sp2.

T2k said:
Well... that FW function supposed to be the biggest "invention" in SP2.

How could that be an "invention" as pre-SP2 Windows already has built-in firewalls?

pcchen said:
T2k said:

How could that be an "invention" as pre-SP2 Windows already has built-in firewalls?

It did? I wasn't aware of any firewall. I thought it was another useless option. ;) :LOL:

T2k said:

Hmmm, that's not the impression I've had. Sure, it's mainly about security but I've always seen activating the firewall by default as just a minor tweak. Correct this if I'm wrong, but the problems cited seem normal fare for when a fw is first activated.

btw, there's a list of all the sp2 changes here.

XP has always had a firewall, but SP2 has improved it and made it enabled by default. It's this that has caused problems with certain software that tries to access the internet, not anything inherently wrong with SP2. The XP Firewall can easily be disabled.

pcchen said:
T2k said:

As k MS. BTW I wouldn't call "firewall"" that unconfigurable, useless piece of crap XP already had.

ZoinKs! said:
T2k said:

Hmmm, that's not the impression I've had. Sure, it's mainly about security but I've always seen activating the firewall by default as just a minor tweak. Correct this if I'm wrong, but the problems cited seem normal fare for when a fw is first activated.

btw, there's a list of all the sp2 changes here.

This isn't the list of SP2-enabled changes - this is the list of changes incorporated in SP2. Majority of these were already published via WU.

T2k said:
As k MS. BTW I wouldn't call "firewall"" that unconfigurable, useless piece of crap XP already had.

It may not be very good but it's not unconfigurable. Many "IP-routers" built-in firewalls are not much better than it.

pcchen said:
T2k said:

It may not be very good but it's not unconfigurable. Many "IP-routers" built-in firewalls are not much better than it.

C'mon. After SP2 now it's useful - but in SP1... that's a piece of crap.

Back