Problems with dual-core

Well, you could just add a really long delay between when you launch the proram and when you set the affinity that will catch the process you want to set the affinity of 99% of the time.

Chalnoth said:
Well, you could just add a really long delay between when you launch the proram and when you set the affinity that will catch the process you want to set the affinity of 99% of the time.

Every time I launch EQ2 I have the task manager up and running while the login screen goes through its steps. Once I hit play, I find the EQ2.exe process and set the affinity on it as fast as I can mouse-click. A real PITA. On the good news, I'm finally getting a FX-57 to review so this 4800+ is being set aside until my next round of dual core testing.

Can't you guys do the following?

create a bat file where ever the game .exe is and then shortcut to that.

in the bat file throw in start /affinity CPU# game.exe

CPU# is 0 or 1 in most people's cases IIRC. Mind you, this might screw you if you have to login via some intermediate program, but you could probably hunt within the game folder and you'll likely find the front end exe, you could launch that, login and then launch the game exe separately. Also, I hear that this might not be available in windows xp home/pro.

I'd like to post an update on the network packet corruption issue.

Because the Linux AMD powernow-k8 driver currently only supports ACPI, I decided to go ahead and switch my BIOS to ACPI. Because Windows does not support switching between ACPI and PSB, I had to reinstall Windows. This seems to have fixed the network packet corruption issue, though I am now back to using the nVidia 6.66 nForce drivers.

Back