Prince of Persia

Uh-oh, but it looks like platforming to me though (since he can miss, fall and restart the segment). Or are they moving towards open world because it's more popular these days ?

Uh-oh, but it looks like platforming to me though (since he can miss, fall and restart the segment).
The only restart I saw was when Prince falls off cliff while not really platforming.

I'm not against restarts, but the actual platforming seems to be going more automated, the ghost girl holding his hand all the way (and how exactly is this "cooler")
Or are they moving towards open world because it's more popular these days ?
Another unnecessary obsession. :|

Saw a demo on G4TechTV.

They showed a fight against a boss-like character. I don't remember that from previous PoP but then again, I didn't play the PoP games enough.

Kind of looked like something out of HS but without the timed button presses (a la God of War).

They showed a lot of wall climbing and jumping across cliffs.

That's fine up to a point but I remember one PoP game where you were suppose to jump back an forth between a wall and a statue to get up to the top of the head of the statue. Most aggravating thing in the world ...

Screw the prince, I want to play as Elika! She can do all the moves the prince can, plus she can fly and do glowy things.

I'm not against restarts, but the actual platforming seems to be going more automated, the ghost girl holding his hand all the way (and how exactly is this "cooler")

What's funny is that in The Sands of Time, there was an excellent way to justify continues. The whole 'No, wait a minute, that's not how it went' bit. But they make it sound like the previous games were 'Press X to continue, sucka!'

Edit: Freudian slip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw a demo on G4TechTV.

They showed a fight against a boss-like character. I don't remember that from previous PoP but then again, I didn't play the PoP games enough.

Kind of looked like something out of HS but without the timed button presses (a la God of War).
PoP games had boss battles before, and at least the last one had QTEs as well, like GoW and HS.
The original trilogy even had sword duels.

LGC gameplay video, in general I like it but 2 things bug me. He uses some kind of summons during jumping to get a double jump, Why? Why act like it's a big jump if you're just going to use magic to get across it anyhow. Also, they're using something akin to Sonic's bumpers which imo are that games worst feature. Other than that it looks really good.

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/34616/PC/Prince-of-Persia

Thanks for the game play link. This definitely looks like one I'll have to try before I buy. In the previous version there was some semblance of realism so I had an idea of what I could try. This version makes it look like the prince has super powers.

Also, is this version made by a Japanese developer rather than Canadian? The fighting certainly looks like it. Very over the top.

Ouch, 6\10 is pretty bad (well eurogamer tend to be slightly more strickter than your average site, but still, 6\10 is sucky)

Anyone from a German speaking part of Europa that can tell me, if the retail copy has english included on the PS3 version?

The cover of the game only speaks of German, but since you can't necessarely base everything on the cover, I'm hoping someone here might be able to share some light.

Unfortunately, various phonecalls to local game stores reveal nothing. No one's bothered to look. :(

It's a Ubisoft game, so I would personally be very surprised if English wasn't included, especially on the PS3 (space a-plenty on the BD-Disc for all languages). But you never know of course until you find someone who has it or you buy it somewhere that has a returns policy? Very few games don't at least support 5 European languages these days, though unfortunately Halo 3 was one of those that only had the German voices on disc.

I'm really enjoying this game. The visuals are awesome, the kind of game that non-gamers love to watch. I love the platforming so much, it's kind of cathartic. Assassin's Creed should have had these kinds of platforming puzzles and indoor regions. In fact, PoP removes almost all of the gameplay flaws I disliked from AC, although I miss the crowd interactions and the evasion chases from AC. I'm also highly impressed by the smooth level loading. PoP just feels like such a tight and carefully thought out experience. I do wish the enemies had more variety and were, well, more "real life" and less "shadow blob". It's not a perfect game, but I'd rate it 8.5 to 9.0. I can see myself replaying this, unlike AC.

Ouch, 6\10 is pretty bad (well eurogamer tend to be slightly more strickter than your average site, but still, 6\10 is sucky)

I read that review and knew that I would like this game. I played it, and I did. That being the case, I think the review did its job pretty well regardless of the overall score.

Back