Prescott Survival Kit

As you see I had not actually finished that last post when you read it :)

My daughter likes to take an occasional whack at the keyboard, this time with a book!

see ya

ANova said:
IE the AthlonXP has fewer stages than the Athlon64 (10 V 12) however at a given clock speed it is much HOTTER for LESS performance.

The Northwood has fewer stages than the Prescott (20 v 31) however at a given clock speed it is much COOLER for MORE performance.

It makes more sense to compare performance to temp IMHO.

The longer the pipeline the more heat generated. The A64's increase in it's pipeline is a mere 2 over the XP which is offset by the fact that it uses SOI. That is the only reason why it runs less hot then the XP. The Prescott, on the other hand, has an increase of 11 in it's pipeline over the Northwood and does not use SOI or low-k. I just think Intel took the wrong path in designing the Prescott, it's inefficient.

That chip is a much better competitor for Athlon64 than Prescott IMHO and the sooner its *really* available for desktops the better for everyone (except perhaps AMD:) )

I agree. Sadly they won't be supporting hyperthreading though. My guess is Intel wants it as an exclusive feature to advertise for it's Prescotts.

Doesn't the supposed 'hotness' of the athlon xp also have to do with the way the chip is sold? Athlon 64s and Pentium 4s have heat spreaders, whereas athlon xp just has an exposed die, so it could be the same amount of heat but over a much smaller area.

I think if Intel had decided to implement SOI or low-k the numbers would have been more akin to the Northwood and A64 but they decided to opt out for whatever reason.

Prescott is fairly complicated, they may not have been able to get good yields with SOI or low-k right now.

ANova said:
Yes AMD is less but only by $155

"Only", yes... :D

and as I've said, P4s are better for content creation and multitasking.

Better for multitasking??? How? Using what measure? Also, your claim P4s are superior in office apps is unsubstantiated, but nevertheless if it is true or not I fail to see why anyone would even need a 1GHz processor for that, much less one running at 3.4...

However, the more reviews you look at the more you will find P4s winning the majority of the content creation field

Really? Umm, how do you figure?

Guden Oden said:

When your paying $700+ for a processor I think it's spared no expense for most people.

Better for multitasking??? How? Using what measure? Also, your claim P4s are superior in office apps is unsubstantiated, but nevertheless if it is true or not I fail to see why anyone would even need a 1GHz processor for that, much less one running at 3.4...

Ever hear of hyperthreading? Look up some tests and you'll see it makes a big difference. As for office apps, why don't you ask those in the business field?

You obviously have not looked at any benchmarks, or are simply in denial. It's widely known among those in the business that P4s are better for 90% of the content creation software available.

ANova said:
Guden Oden said:

When your paying $700+ for a processor I think it's spared no expense for most people.

Ever hear of hyperthreading? Look up some tests and you'll see it makes a big difference. As for office apps, why don't you ask those in the business field?

You obviously have not looked at any benchmarks, or are simply in denial. It's widely known among those in the business that P4s are better for 90% of the content creation software available.

True Intel is a bit faster in productivity apps but it's nearly impossible to find a 3.4EE on the market.

True AMD is faster than Intel for the gaming.

How many % intel is faster in the first ?

How many % AMD is faster in the second ?

Dunno exactly and it's not so important the exact % ... If you are a gamer .. Get an AMD .. and if run a lot of productivity apps / business / blablabla .. get an Intel.

And you get the best performance/price with AMD.

RainZ

rainz said:
True Intel is a bit faster in productivity apps but it's nearly impossible to find a 3.4EE on the market.

I don't know how it is over there in Canada but here in the US it's easy to get a P4EE, in both 3.2 and 3.4 GHz form. Newegg has them for online order all the time and OEMs like Dell, Falcon Northwest, Voodoo PC, and Alienware all offer computers with them as well.

Fox5 said:
Doesn't the supposed 'hotness' of the athlon xp also have to do with the way the chip is sold? Athlon 64s and Pentium 4s have heat spreaders, whereas athlon xp just has an exposed die, so it could be the same amount of heat but over a much smaller area.
Actually, the use of a heatspreader makes the temps go higher. That way you have more thermal resistence, core -> heatspreader -> cooler. Without heatspreader, core -> cooler.

The only advantage of a heatspreader is more protection of the core.

ANova said:
rainz said:

I don't know how it is over there in Canada but here in the US it's easy to get a P4EE, in both 3.2 and 3.4 GHz form. Newegg has them for online order all the time and OEMs like Dell, Falcon Northwest, Voodoo PC, and Alienware all offer computers with them as well.

You personally buy stuffs on the internet ? I'll never. I want to buy my stuffs in a store and be able to touch/see it before i pay. And in a lot of reviews you can see the reviewers crying about the P4 3.4EE is too rare and too expensive. ( like 1000$+ USD for one )

EDIT: I think about that .. you can even read about that in the lastest PCGamer. ( and i could post some links but i'm too lazy to search for you and since i dont care enough :D )

Have a nice day.

RainZ

ANova said:

Not true. I just hit Dell's site and tried to configure a XPS desktop and the 3.4 EE is not an option.

AAlcHemY said:
Fox5 said:
Actually, the use of a heatspreader makes the temps go higher. That way you have more thermal resistence, core -> heatspreader -> cooler. Without heatspreader, core -> cooler.

The only advantage of a heatspreader is more protection of the core.

I wasn't saying the athlon xp was hotter without a heatspreader, I was saying on a p4 or athlon 64 the heat is spread over a larger area than it is on an athlon xp, thus when you use an external temperature reader to measure the temps, the athlon xp appears hotter because all the heat in cocentrated in a smaller area, yet it is generating approximately the same heat as the athlon 64 and pentium 4.

rainz said:
You personally buy stuffs on the internet ? I'll never. I want to buy my stuffs in a store and be able to touch/see it before i pay. And in a lot of reviews you can see the reviewers crying about the P4 3.4EE is too rare and too expensive. ( like 1000$+ USD for one )

I prefer buying things from stores as well but since it's newegg I'm fine with buying online. Newegg will replace parts no questions asked if they happen to be defects. I also never said they weren't expensive, I agree they are rediculously overpriced but so are AMD's Opterons rebadged as Athlon 64 FX-xx chips.

As for rarety.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...p;manufactory=1157&page=4&listStyle=2

John Raynolds said:
Not true. I just hit Dell's site and tried to configure a XPS desktop and the 3.4 EE is not an option.

They may not offer the 3.4 but they do offer the 3.2 and like I said, all the others I listed do offer both.

ANova said:
rainz said:

I prefer buying things from stores as well but since it's newegg I'm fine with buying online. Newegg will replace parts no questions asked if they happen to be defects. I also never said they weren't expensive, I agree they are rediculously overpriced but so are AMD's Opterons rebadged as Athlon 64 FX-xx chips.

As for rarety.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...p;manufactory=1157&page=4&listStyle=2

John Raynolds said:

They may not offer the 3.4 but they do offer the 3.2 and like I said, all the others I listed do offer both.

Yeh 1-2 sites got the 3.4EE online in stock .. as well one place will. And they prolly got like 10-20 3.4EE in stock .. and no others places. ( Btw change nothing .. no one is buying them .. excepted you ? ) and it's still too rare .. i said it's nearly impossible to find one .. not impossible.

RainZ

rainz said:
Yeh 1-2 sites got the 3.4EE online in stock .. as well one place will. And they prolly got like 10-20 3.4EE in stock .. and no others places. ( Btw change nothing .. no one is buying them .. excepted you ? ) and it's still too rare .. i said it's nearly impossible to find one .. not impossible.

RainZ

No, I do not have a P4EE and no I do not buy them; as I said they are rediculously overpriced imo. However, there are people that do buy them. I know a few. I also don't consider it 'nearly impossible' either since newegg has a fair amount of them and I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy from anyone else (since newegg has about the best prices/service around). Yes, they might be rare outside the US, but certainly not inside.

ANova said:
rainz said:

RainZ

No, I do not have a P4EE and no I do not buy them; as I said they are rediculously overpriced imo. However, there are people that do buy them. I know a few. I also don't consider it 'nearly impossible' either since newegg has a fair amount of them and I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy from anyone else (since newegg has about the best prices/service around). Yes, they might be rare outside the US, but certainly not inside.

All the reviews / mag / etc i've read talk about the USA ... not the Canada or any other country . Sorry but i trust more the 50+ reviews than you.
Not cause newegg got them in stock and 160 local stores dont that's mean it's not rare ... it's RARE.

RainZ

rainz said:
All the reviews / mag / etc i've read talk about the USA ... not the Canada or any other country . Sorry but i trust more the 50+ reviews than you.
Not cause newegg got them in stock and 160 local stores dont that's mean it's not rare ... it's RARE.

RainZ

All I'm saying is if I wanted to get one, I wouldn't have any problems in doing so.

Back