Power supply and core 2 duo

So I want to do a minor upgrade to my computer( CPU+mobo+memory).
I have my eyes set on a core 2 duo E6550. My current power supply is 460 watts...would that be enough for the core 2 duo?

If its a quality PSU it will be enough.

460W is more than enough, but does your power supply have the auxiliary power connector for the new motherboards? (4-pin or 8-pin)

This conjures up an interesting point. As some of you may know by my "Unidentified Smoking Hardware" thread, I also just purchased a new PSU. Unforunately I'm a dunce when it comes to knowing appropriate voltages for processors, video cards I'm not too bad at gauging. But I plan on getting a Q6600 for Christmas, and was wondering if 650 watts is enough for that and an X1900 XTX.

A quality 650W is MORE than enough for a C2D processor of any current production flavor and an x1900xtx. In fact, a high quality 400W unit would probably be more than sufficient for that hardware with a HDD or two and a CD/DVD rom or two.

The G0 quadcores have a TDP of 95w total, if that gives you any concept of relevance.

A quality 650W is MORE than enough for a C2D processor of any current production flavor and an x1900xtx. In fact, a high quality 400W unit would probably be more than sufficient for that hardware with a HDD or two and a CD/DVD rom or two.

The G0 quadcores have a TDP of 95w total, if that gives you any concept of relevance.

It does. And it also makes me wish rep was still around, so I could potentially drown you in e-praise.

Thanks, as usual, Al :)

Yes. It's spec says max 624W (52A) combined on the 12V rails, which (discounting the possibility that the PSU quality itself might be crap) should be enough for (virtually) anyone (not running two HD 2900XT in Crossfire are you?). The ones to be vary of for a modern system are the ones with a high rated wattage but lots of power reserved for 5V/3.3V and/or no maximum combined draw listed for 12V at all.

Back