Posting Rules and Decorum

Ah, "rediculous" - I knew there was another word that drives me crazy I was forgetting when NavNuc was listing them off. :p

You didn't mention the wrong usage of "your" there either that should be "you're." That one has to be the most annoying to me. I am a native English speaker but if I'm going to post something longer I type it up in Word.

May as well add "to" and "too" to the list.

However, I don't think this thread is going to constructively educate the entire board population to grammatical-error free postings. The principle purpose was to outline certain key, inexcusable faux pas. A mix-up of homophones when they happen is just a part of the lively vernacular style of the internet, and though linguists are free to rant to themselves in the privacy of their own cubicle, I don't really think this is the place to rake people over hot coals for being victims of ineffective educational institutions!

Are you planning on either stickying this thread, or adding the details to the already stickied 'rules' thread?

Are you planning on either stickying this thread, or adding the details to the already stickied 'rules' thread?

Truth is all of this is already a part of the sticky'd rules thread on the top of the page, so no need to sticky this one or add anything to the other. It's just on the assumption that next to no one actually reads that thread that I decided to create this one to highlight the issue.

Of vs. Have as in: "I should of known" vs. "I should have known"

This drives me off the wall.

I dunno, I'd be weary of Tim's request. Wait, its a trick! Get an ask!

The best part about a thread like this--the sweet, sweet irony--is that it's the people who won't make these mistakes in the first place that are most likely to read this. Catharsis for everyone!

Seriously, Carl, I can't thank you enough for this thread. :D

Back