Possible Schematics for RSX to hit 1.8 TFLOP mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROG27

Regular
Directed at our more technical friends...

Could someone please provide a couple of possible RSX scenarios/layouts that would make for sony's claimed 1.8 Teraflop performance rating?

I'm interested in knowing how it is possible that they arrived at that number (or if it is reasonable given logical possiblities for layouts of the RSX).

The 1.8 TFlops number isn't 'real' in the opinion of many; certainly myself included. It includes a lot of fixed-function nonsense that really doesn't factor in to the programmable ops people normally concern themselves with when deriving these figures.

so what is a reasonable real world number for the RSX in your opinion?

and what would be a reasonable real world number for the Xenos in your opinion?

I forget the numbers, but they've been derived here several times before. They hover around ~400 GFlops each (IIRC), with the RSX slightly ahead of Xenos. I don't think it's wholly relevent, however. But indeed, if you were going to compare flops, that would be the way to do it - not with these insane multi-TFlop numbers Sony and MS tossed out.

I was more interested in the possible layouts of RSX derrived from the numbers available, not the numbers themselves.

ROG27 said:
I was more interested in the possible layouts of RSX derrived from the numbers available, not the numbers themselves.

Well the thing is, in truth those number give no indication. It's just *that* much comprised of fluff. You need to know the architecture essentially to see how 1.8TFlops was reached, not the other way around. With the programmable ops you have a hope of reverse engineering the numbers, because one can be familiar with NVidia's architecture in general (or in the case of some of the theories, some of the possible architectural tweaks that might occur), but going from 1.8TFlops of total unspecified performance and trying to turn it into an architecture that accounts for fixed function as well, I mean... well it's going to be a fairly fruitless endeavour.

ROG27 said:

You mean like guessing whether an engine is a I4, V6, V8 from hp figures? Sorry doesn't work that way even if the numbers are correct. My car's engine has 200hp, can you guess if it's a I4 or V6? Even if I then said it has a displacement of 2 liters can you guess if it's a I4 or V6?

PC-Engine said:
You mean like guessing whether an engine is a I4, V6, V8 from hp figures? Sorry doesn't work that way even if the numbers are correct. My car's engine has 200hp, can you guess if it's a I4 or V6? Even if I then said it has a displacement of 2 liters can you guess if it's a I4 or V6?

I'm gonna say supercharged I4....unless you drive a honda!

PC-Engine said:

I'm not looking to pinpoint the specifications or anything. I am just curious about the possiblities of how the schematics could be layed out in the event someone might have an epiphany and solve the RSX mystery<--yeah right (especially with the forums being devoid of all news pertaining to the subject).

Possible schematics ?

Well it be basicly a pig with wings that flys .

1.8tflop mark is pure bs . Expect a leniar (Sp?) increase from the previous nvidia generation

I think X1800 is like 83 Gflops yet can often beat 7800GTX because it uses those more efficiently.

and yeah, I realize this didn't help you...

I thought the programmable Gflops count of Xenos/RSX was more like 240, anyway?

I'm sure myself RSX will either be 20 or 24 pixel pipes and 7 or 8 Vertex pipes.

PC-Engine said:

whats with the engine caparison ???? there pointless. for Example

whats faster a 8ltre V8 or a 2 ltre V4 ???

The 2 litre by a very long way.

In the UK we get 700BHP, 2 litre engine's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back