Portal 2: let's bake some cake boys!

There are a lot of games that everyone is supposed to like, but really, those games don't exist and over the years I've occasionally been tricked into buying a '10' game that then went largely unplayed. In fact, probably about as often as I have bought games that got a 10 and I did play a lot (Rockband 3 is one of the rare, recent exceptions).

Same here. I got Portal for free on Steam (who didn't at this point?), played through the tutorial, and then I stopped and never picked it up again. I actually love solving environmental puzzles, but Portal just didn't click with me.

I do think that Portal II could be right up my alley regardless because of the stronger focus on story telling and the more varied environments.

(I have a similar issue with The Witcher and just about any GTA game)

Seriously, you guys need to actually play portal. Stopped at the tutorial? You have no idea what you're missing, without spoiling it. There is a narrative, you just need to keep playing.

Anyone know if the PC version supports a gamepad?
Yes it does.

Tried the PC version after having played the PS3 version for a couple of hours. I actually like the PS3 version better, the gameplay is of course practically identical (if played with a pad), but imo the graphics are better in PS3, especially the lighting which looks more natural to me in PS3. The PC version looks, well, like a PC game. It's sharper, but too "clinical".
I love the style, the animation is great and the whole game is so athmospheric!

Never having played Portal before I really didin't know anything about the game. I didn't know the plot or even much about the game mechanics. All I knew it was something portals and some female robot voice, I thought it was more of a fps shooter with some light puzzle elements :)
Of course I did do some more research before deciding on buying Portal 2, but only so much that I now knew the portal mechanism and that it indeed was not a shooter but a puzzler.

I do like the game. Not so sure if I'd like it as much without the voice acting and humour, they are really what make me want to see what's next in the game, and to see where the plot advances.
The puzzles have been fairly easy thus far, but I can already see them getting tougher.
A 9/10 game for me, but I doubt I'll replay it after I've finished. The co-op I tried on PC, and it was fun, but I've never been much of an online gamer.

Also got a free code for dl'ing Portal when I preordered Portal 2. Played a few levels of that too, will surely finish that after finishing P2.
Though was a bit disappointed that in the beginning at least, it's pretty much the same apart from graphics.

If you use the 360 gamepad on the PC, does the headset work?

I haven't tried it in Portal 2 just yet, still waiting on a buddy to get his copy in the mail. But when you plug the headset into the 360 wireless controller it installs a device driver for it and it detects it just fine, and in Steam I did the microphone test and it also works fine there. So looks like it'll be fine in game which is nice as I can use my same 360 controller, headset and mic on the pc.

I haven't tried it in Portal 2 just yet, still waiting on a buddy to get his copy in the mail. But when you plug the headset into the 360 wireless controller it installs a device driver for it and it detects it just fine, and in Steam I did the microphone test and it also works fine there. So looks like it'll be fine in game which is nice as I can use my same 360 controller, headset and mic on the pc.

that is awesome!

I must say the co-op is top notch!!!

I love the way teamwork is needed to complete the puzzles. I was playing with a random player who said he had never played portal before and just hearing the "ah-ha" moments he had as a beginer reminded me of my first times playing..

*does anybody know if voice-chat works when playing co-op w pc player if im on ps3

Anyone who hasn't beaten the first Portal yet, should really try to do it before playing Portal 2. You don't have to do it to understand Portal 2, but you'll probably have a better experience.

I must say the co-op is top notch!!!

I love the way teamwork is needed to complete the puzzles. I was playing with a random player who said he had never played portal before and just hearing the "ah-ha" moments he had as a beginer reminded me of my first times playing..

*does anybody know if voice-chat works when playing co-op w pc player if im on ps3

Just got it today, can't seem to get online for MP with Portal2, or any other PS3 games for that matter... BTW, this was the *first* PS3 version of a multiconsole game I have bought... ever! Mostly for the Steam PC freebie...

Just got it today, can't seem to get online for MP with Portal2, or any other PS3 games for that matter... BTW, this was the *first* PS3 version of a multiconsole game I have bought... ever! Mostly for the Steam PC freebie...

PSN has been down all day, possibly because of a DDOS attack.

Hate those hackers :devilish:
They're targeting their hacks to users, more than Sony. As people kow it's the hackers fault they're not able to join online, not Sony's, how do they think they're huting Sony with their efforts. They are only hurting themselves and their already tainted reputation in view of public.
I really don't understand what they are trying to achieve and I doubt they really understan it themselves either.

Anyway, back to Portal 2.
Payed it a couple of hours yesterday night and wow!!! I didn't see that coming :) The game was just getting a bit boring with just a testing chamber after another, and then it all changes quite a bit ;)
Now I'm starting to get those 10/10 review scores, love the game!!

Hate those hackers :devilish:
They're targeting their hacks to users, more than Sony. As people kow it's the hackers fault they're not able to join online, not Sony's, how do they think they're huting Sony with their efforts. They are only hurting themselves and their already tainted reputation in view of public.
I really don't understand what they are trying to achieve and I doubt they really understan it themselves either.

Is it verified that PSN is under attack?

Beat the SP. Awesome game. This is how storytelling in games should be done.
Should Gabe Newell really be making all those fat jokes?

I want to play some co-op right now. :devilish:

As with Portal 1, the gameplay is fun. The comedy is hilarious and doesn't feel overly cheap.

There's no way I can see the game earning high marks on it's technical merits for the Xbox 360. At best I can see it being a 7 out of 10.

1) Too many loading screens.
2) Some textures look like the same ass from 2008.
3) Way too many jaggies.
4) Inability to pick more precise replay location other than chapter starting points.

I only played the PC versions, but the loading screens really pissed me off

Feels like Portal 2 have more loading screens in the first hour than other entire games have...

2) Some textures look like the same ass from 2008.
3) Way too many jaggies.
4) Inability to pick more precise replay location other than chapter starting points.

1) That's just time for tips
2) It's retro.
1) It's a feature
3) It's cutting edge.
1) Tips.
4) Optimized for maximum enjoyment if you play it the way you're supposed to.
1) Hint:

:cool:

I wish there were more developer commentaries. And the ability to save during those, instead of being forced to play through hour long chapters.

Back