Portal 2: let's bake some cake boys!

Cool !

Official press release embedded here:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/13/portal-2-for-ps3-steam-details-steam-cloud-steam-play-steam-y/

Wondering how PSN and Stream integration will work out.

Does that mean I can buy one more access code so that my son (PS3) and I (Mac) can play together ?

Steam is a big win for PS3 in this case. The only drawback is they'll have to reserve some memory for Steam to run alongside the PSN functionality, so there's some inherent redundancy there. Next gen, if Sony decided to use Steam as their messaging, friend, invite and cloud service, I'd be a pretty happy man.

Steam is a big win for PS3 in this case. The only drawback is they'll have to reserve some memory for Steam to run alongside the PSN functionality, so there's some inherent redundancy there. Next gen, if Sony decided to use Steam as their messaging, friend, invite and cloud service, I'd be a pretty happy man.

The redundancy should be minimal since Steam is self contained -- unless they use PSN "exclusive" features like publishing user states on-the-fly (e.g., The white ghosts in Demon's Souls).

Based on what I read, voice chat, community, MP infrastructure is all Steam-based ? PSN probably only provides the initial authentication, presence and trophies.

EDIT: They have a new post on the Official PS3 blog:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...s3-question-answered-and-that-cake-thing-too/

The redundancy should be minimal since Steam is self contained -- unless they use PSN "exclusive" features like publishing user states on-the-fly (e.g., The white ghosts in Demon's Souls).

Based on what I read, voice chat, community, MP infrastructure is all Steam-based ? PSN probably only provides the initial authentication, presence and trophies.

EDIT: They have a new post on the Official PS3 blog:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...s3-question-answered-and-that-cake-thing-too/

I just meant that they can't exactly turn PSN off, because it's part of the OS running in the background. You'll still be able to access your PSN friends and messages. So whatever money they have to reserve for Steam for friends and functionality is going to be somewhat redundant with PSN. Honestly, it isn't a big problem. Having Steam on the platform is worth it a million times over.

I am guessing steam will be in the pause menu? PS button to access PSN friend list and a separate menu in the game will give you access to steam friend list. All online play/ server will be valve.

Portal 2 PS3/PC explained: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427259

In a nutshell, you can buy the PS3 version, unlock the PC version and sell the PS3 version without losing your PC copy. :)

I don't think you're given the Portal 2 copy on your Steam account until you've linked your PSN account with your Steam account. After that point, you won't be able to play the PS3 version online at the same time as it is being played on the PC or Mac.

Now, you might be able to play Portal 2 with the PS3 copy on a sub or alternate login on the PS3, but you presumably wouldn't get any Steam access if you do that. Basically the same kind of deal as if you were to unplug your PS3 from the net to play the PS3 copy.

I am guessing steam will be in the pause menu? PS button to access PSN friend list and a separate menu in the game will give you access to steam friend list. All online play/ server will be valve.

Yap... that's how RFOM did it. It has its own friends list, community, party system, voice chat, achievements, etc.

Scott_Arms, that's why the PSN friends list should not be loaded in the game -- unless you go into in-game XMB (e.g., to send a XMB message).

Trophy award is probably the only one that the Steam game will send/commit.

Portal 2 at bestbuy $45 xbox/ps3 $35 pc . All 3 qualify for a $10 gift card if your a reward zone member. The only catch is that it will take 35 days for the reward credit to turn into the gift card.

I was going to buy the ps3 verison and jump through the hoops and trade it in at gamestop while keeping the pc verison. However at $25 bucks i will get the pc verison

A user review of portal 2 ps3 ! Seems to be a gem of a game from what he says. And I didn't know it supported split screen co-op ! Thats gotta increase fun a lot !

I might dabble in this. Never got the 1st but the reviews so far are very high indeed. Seems the PS3 version is the one to with for console owners aswell.

This game was never on my radar but the reviews seem to be more than positive so far, the gameplay didn't really do too much for me so decisions...hm.

This game was never on my radar but the reviews seem to be more than positive so far, the gameplay didn't really do too much for me so decisions...hm.

Portal was amazing. Do yourself a favour and get this game. Between PS3 and 360, the PS3 version really seems to be the clear way to go, if you have that option available to you.

Portal was amazing. Do yourself a favour and get this game. Between PS3 and 360, the PS3 version really seems to be the clear way to go, if you have that option available to you.

Tossing between this or Soccom 4 though I'm leaning towards Portal 2 for now mainly due to the outstanding reviews and that it's a Valve game. Knowing myself I'll eventually pick it up this weekend.

For what it is worth, I really didn't dig the first game either. I bought it on Steam eventually, but it just doesn't click with me and it's still sitting there largely unplayed. Right now it feels like a so-so puzzler, with bland graphics and annoying first person controls.

I haven't seen anything yet to sway me into liking it. There are a lot of games that everyone is supposed to like, but really, those games don't exist and over the years I've occasionally been tricked into buying a '10' game that then went largely unplayed. In fact, probably about as often as I have bought games that got a 10 and I did play a lot (Rockband 3 is one of the rare, recent exceptions).

So yeah, while I am technically really curious about the PS3 / PC Steam integration, I don't see myself getting this until I've seen something that really changes my mind. First 15 minutes and youtube playthroughs are great inventions though - usually these will help me make up my mind definitively.

Fwiw, I'm not getting Socom 4 either until at the very least the Move issues are solved. ;) (but even then I'm not so sure)

Portal was one of the few games that deserved its hype. It gets better as it goes and has basically one of the best, if not the best, endings I've seen in a game. It is one of the funnier games I've played, has quality writing (for a game), and has just about perfect pacing to go with a easy, but rewarding learning curve. If you're still early in the game, keep playing. Unfortunately the game has been spoilered to death by now.

Back