Playstation3 Hardware *Rumours* from PSM (grains of salt are on me!)

3roxor said:
You always pay for quality but we will see what the final price is.. I won't pay more than $1000 dollar for the system.
Not quality but its about staying on the bleeding edge of technology.

well as it stands now, the Xbox 360 has more memory than Playstation3

Xbox 360: 512 MB GDDR3 + 10 MB eDRAM = 522 MB total (not counting L2 cache)
PS3: 256 MB XDR + 256 MB GDDR3 = 512 MB total (not counting LS or L2 cache)

so, I don't see it being a real problem to add more system memory (XDR) or graphics memory (GDDR3) to the retail PS3 console, being that it is very likely PS3 will cost $100 more than Xbox 360.

If PS3 is to be marketed as a console that is more powerful than Xbox 360 and anything else, then Sony should prove it by giving PS3 the largest amount of memory instead of letting Xbox360 have that honor.

hasanahmad said:
1) Blu Ray Disc - First ever mainstream product (PS3) *Price will be high*
2) Cell Processor - First ever commercial use (PS3) *Price will be high*
3) XDR Ram - The most expensive commercial RAM on the planet (PS3) *Price will be high*

The above 3 combine for cost of atleast 400$, ATLEAST

Hasanahmad - where are you getting these cost figures from? They seem somewhat arbitrary.

Cell's price will be relatively high because it's a large chip, not because it's the 'first ever commercial use.' Early production runs at Nagasaki and such should have immature process yields associated with them as well, but this should be somewhat countered by the 'redundancy' being built in to the PS3 specification for the chip.

XDR is expensive, but that's just something we all *know* to be the case, not something we know because anyone actually knows the prices. RAM prices are a hard thing to get a hold of, but I can tell you right now the market price for a 512Mb module of DDR-2 @533MHz is ~$5. XDR is undoubtedly higher than ~$5 per 512Mb module, but how much higher, who knows?

Blu-ray ROM drive will be more expensive than a DVD drive, absolutely and no one will argue it, but I'd be surprised if it cost $100 or over to get in there.

My point from all this is that though we can be sure the PS3 componentry prices will be high, I don't think they're as high as Merrill Lynch Japan would have us think, for example.

Megadrive1988 said:

so, I don't see it being a real problem to add more system memory (XDR) or graphics memory (GDDR3) to the retail PS3 console, being that it is very likely PS3 will cost $100 more than Xbox 360.

If PS3 is to be marketed as a console that is more powerful than Xbox 360 and anything else, then Sony should prove it by giving PS3 the largest amount of memory instead of letting Xbox360 have that honor.

If there is a price difference, there are plenty of other things that could account for that asides from memory.

Also, 512MB + 10MB is more accurate. They're different types of memory used in different kind of ways. Don't mix oil and water ;)

Titanio said:
If there is a price difference, there are plenty of other things that could account for that asides from memory.

Also, 512MB + 10MB is more accurate. They're different types of memory used in different kind of ways. Don't mix oil and water ;)

but PS3's 256 MB of GDDR3 is a different type of memory than the 256 MB XDR. They are going to be used for different things also. even though RSX can make use of both as so can Cell.

I'm not actually mixing anything. it's impossible to 'mix' Xbox 360's 512 MB with its 10 MB eDRAM, but they can be counted. just as PS2's 4 MB eDRAM and Gamecube's 3+ MB embedded 1T-SRAM were counted the memory totals (40 MB vs 43 MB)

Megadrive1988 said:

Difference is GDDR3 is cheaper than XDR and keeping KK's comments in mind I would bet against Sony bumping up the RAM. ;)

KenKutaragi said:
"I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households. I think everyone can still buy it if they wanted to," said Kutaragi to a mostly Japanese crowd. "But we're aiming for consumers throughout the world. So we're going to have to do our best [in containing the price]."
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129611.html

Megadrive1988 said:
but PS3's 256 MB of GDDR3 is a different type of memory than the 256 MB XDR. They are going to be used for different things also. even though RSX can make use of both as so can Cell.

I'm not actually mixing anything. it's impossible to 'mix' Xbox 360's 512 MB with its 10 MB eDRAM, but they can be counted. just as PS2's 4 MB eDRAM and Gamecube's 3+ MB embedded 1T-SRAM were counted the memory totals (40 MB vs 43 MB)

I know, I just prefer to make the distinction between main memory and others.

The pools off RSX and Cell..logically they're both accessible from either chip. They both could be used for anything, technically. Sure, you're going to want to keep latency-sensitive tasks for either on their local pools, and sure, you're going to use one pool for some things more than the others (but even in a UMA you're going to keep some memory for some things, others for others..there's just not a physical seperation there).

Sure, add them up if you wish, it's a small point. Although even Sony agrees with you, listing the XDR and GDDR3 seperately ;)

I also don´t believe PS3 will be $100 more than Xbox360. The market has proven that you can´t go beyond that price, and I don´t believe Sony is foolish enough to do it.

3roxor said:
You always pay for quality but we will see what the final price is.. I won't pay more than $1000 dollar for the system.

You're willing to pay $500-1000 for a game console ? Wow, I never knew some people were willing to pay that much. Me, on the other hand, will never pay more than $399 for a console, I'll wait for a price drop. :)

serenity said:
Difference is GDDR3 is cheaper than XDR and keeping KK's comments in mind I would bet against Sony bumping up the RAM. ;)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129611.html

Those comments from Ken are funny.
KenK said:
I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households. I think everyone can still buy it if they wanted to....I'm not going to reveal its price today, I'm going to only say that it'll be expensive

What's that supposed to mean? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The source of this rumor is almost as unreliable as Spong.

Other PSM "rumors" included Sony making 2 different versions of the PS3. One fully featured, the other stripped down for gaming only, the PS3 might include HD-DVD instead of Blu-Ray, and the exclusive news about Street Fighter 2.5. (So exclusive Capcom never heard of it.)

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for any of this to turn out to be true.

pso said:
You're willing to pay $500-1000 for a game console ? Wow, I never knew some people were willing to pay that much. Me, on the other hand, will never pay more than $399 for a console, I'll wait for a price drop. :)

Funny thing is, what would be the price drop of a $1000 console? :p

EDIT: Errrmmm...Not to say this is going to be a $1000 console...this post was purely made in jest! I don't want to be attacked!!!1

Last edited by a moderator:
pso said:

Oh yeah well.. I'm a techno-nut like most of us here. I think the PS3 will produce the nicest content next gen but if I'm wrong I still got a reasonably cheap blu-ray drive. You just can't go wrong with buying a PS3. It will cost less than half of it though :)

PC-Engine said:
That means it won't be $300...

That statement, I read from a post from a person that said he/she was there ( O.O ), was taken out of context, he (KK) was appearently laughing and whatnot when making that statment, obviously a reaction geared towards people questioning how much the PS3 will cost (the ones saying its going to cost half the moon).

Megadrive1988 said:

only from the POV of hw setup, from the POV of the programming model those 10MB of edram are not extra addressable memory, because whatever gets rendered into those gets automatically copied over to system ram before display output. i.e. from the code's POV (both cpu code or shaders) that edram can be considered a transparent buffer burried somewhere within the hw, same as pvr's on-board tile buffer, or the processor's caches. IOW, those 10MB of extra edram change the qualities of (some portion of) the physical address space, but not its quantity. which is not the case with GS' edram of flipper's edram (AFAIK).

I would have said the eDRAM is actually removing a buffer (from addressible RAM), ergo it does affect the quantity of usable system memory (especially where AA is concerned).

Back