PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think some may be curious why 5GB, and what the other 3GB are used for. Technically speaking, 3GB is too much for an OS.

No. The tweet says the game wants to use 5GB. It also says they don't think it fits on PS4. You guys are gonna be disappointed I think.

Actually, no. The tweet says that The Witness, still being in development, is using 5GB so far. The idea is that when finished, the game will be bigger, to the point where it won't fit in RAM even on the PS4. This does not confirm or deny the actually available size on the PS4, just, basically, that The Witness is 5GB currently, and looks to be a size that will require streaming tech eventually. But he already mentions he has to do that on PC also anyway, so it's a bit moot.

Elsewhere people suggest that available RAM is 5GB for XboxOne and 7GB for PS4, to which JB replies this is not final. So we don't know either way, to be honest.

3GB would be used for running Apps, obviously, not just the OS. And then it's just a matter of what you find pleasant and what you expect to need over the years. Tablets and phones are starting to come with 2GB RAM already. But developers have complained about RAM limits last gen, where single MBs started to count. So if Sony chooses to prioritise games over media features, I would expect them to go for more RAM for games. ;) Well, we'll see. In the past, consoles haven't been able to benefit that much from extra RAM versus the competition, I think, but in this case things could be different (partly due to the closer proximity to PCs with variable specs, partly due to the different nature of the types of RAM, partly to the bottleneck of the media the games load from, which I feel is quite a large bottleneck).

Has everyone currently discussing this really missed the three previous conversations on the matter of OS footprints and what they can be used for?

Seems like it.

Sure you can increase it, you just make it so new features are only available for new games, not older.

That's adding additional (available) features. Increasing the OS footprint implies OS level features available across the board at all times during all games. As such, the OS footprint or reserve absolutely cannot ever be increased after release.

Actually, no. The tweet says that The Witness, still being in development, is using 5GB so far. The idea is that when finished, the game will be bigger, to the point where it won't fit in RAM even on the PS4. This does not confirm or deny the actually available size on the PS4, just, basically, that The Witness is 5GB currently, and looks to be a size that will require streaming tech eventually. But he already mentions he has to do that on PC also anyway, so it's a bit moot.

Elsewhere people suggest that available RAM is 5GB for XboxOne and 7GB for PS4, to which JB replies this is not final. So we don't know either way, to be honest.

I think its pretty clear:

Link
The Witness wants to use over 5GB right now, and that is by a small team. Textures + lightmaps + audio = lots of bytes.

Link
Sadly, we have to deal with streaming. We won't quite fit on PS4, and we definitely won't fit on iOS.

The Witness is currently using over 5 GB, he doesn't want to deal with streaming (he mentions that several times in other tweets), and it won't "quite" fit on the PS4. I think that's pretty conclusive, particularly with him qualifying the statement with won't "quite" fit on the PS4. Add that to the GG KZ:SF postmortem and we have a pretty clear picture of things as they are now. ~5 GB available to games. I don't know what SCE's end game in this is, especially with the initial 512 MB rumored reservation. But as it stands, I think its pretty clear with the evidence at hand. I absolutely do not think it has anything to do with the features announced during the reveal. By all accounts each and every one of those features was already planned long before they knew they could get 8 GB.

Given that I started the OS inquiry I will try to put the thread back on course.

-Nothing is official about OS reserved memory. Sony didn't say a word on it.
-VGleaks and DF estimate the OS at 512MB.
-Ontother rumor come out it was at 2GB.
-We know from Cerny that developers asked for more memory FOR GAMES.
-Sony manged to pack PS4 with 8GB of GDDR5 but we don't' know it's because they needed them for games or for the OS.
-3GB for OS is an interpretation of this phrase form EDGE: Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB

Last edited by a moderator:
The Witness is currently using over 5 GB, he doesn't want to deal with streaming (he mentions that several times in other tweets), and it won't "quite" fit on the PS4. I think that's pretty conclusive, particularly with him qualifying the statement with won't "quite" fit on the PS4. Add that to the GG KZ:SF postmortem and we have a pretty clear picture of things as they are now. ~5 GB available to games. I don't know what SCE's end game in this is, especially with the initial 512 MB rumored reservation. But as it stands, I think its pretty clear with the evidence at hand. I absolutely do not think it has anything to do with the features announced during the reveal. By all accounts each and every one of those features was already planned long before they knew they could get 8 GB.

He outright says in one of his tweets that the PS4 currently reserves 1GB of ram for the OS but that could change in the future..

Given that I started the OS inquiry I will try to put the thread back on course.
-Nothing is official about OS reserved memory.
-VGleaks and DF estimate the OS at 512MB.
-We know from Cerny that developers asked for more memory FOR GAMES.
-Sony manged to pack PS4 with 8GB of GDDR5 but we don't' know it's because they needed them for games or for the OS.

Just to note, the DF estimate is based on info prior to the 8 GB confirmation and that those last 2 conditions are fully met by a 3 GB OS reserve. That gives dev's an extra 1.5 GB of available memory to play with (5 vs 3.5) along with an extra 2.5 GB for OS (3 vs .5). I would add to that list the KZ:SF post mortem noting ~4.7 GB of used memory along with The Witness wanting over 5 GB and not "quite" fitting in the PS4.

He outright says in one of his tweets that the PS4 currently reserves 1GB of ram for the OS but that could change in the future..

I just went through is tweets and saw nothing of the sort. Please share the link of him "outright" stating that..

HTTP Live Streaming is adaptive. You specify the variable bitrate in the source file. Buffering is calculated as a function of network speed and resolution. Slower speed will use lower bitrate segments. The video tag in WebKit is indeed smart about buffering and caching. NetFlix should be similar and it runs in assorted "weak" devices.
Something is broken. iPad Simulator, accessing YouTube under Safari, playing a 720p video and changing the network conditions does not exhibit any change in bit rate, which would be evident going from DSL -> a lossy EGDE connection. What is happening is Safari's RAM usage is increasing - as it tries to buffer more - observable by the scrubbing bar.

Whatever is happening, streaming with the overheads of a web browser, will take more RAM, which was the point I was making some posts back. I don't know enough about WebKit or the native YouTube app to gauge how they compare in terms of RAM efficiency.

OS + services + persistent non-game apps (+ reserve for future use)?

Haha, long time no see. I am hoping for more user-level info so that we know where our $$$ goes to.

Something is broken. iPad Simulator, accessing YouTube under Safari, playing a 720p video and changing the network conditions does not exhibit any change in bit rate, which would be evident going from DSL -> a lossy EGDE connection. What is happening is Safari's RAM usage is increasing - as it tries to buffer more - observable by the scrubbing bar.

Whatever is happening, streaming with the overheads of a web browser, will take more RAM, which was the point I was making some posts back. I don't know enough about WebKit or the native YouTube app to gauge how they compare in terms of RAM efficiency.

It would likely mean YouTube do not generate the adaptive bandwidth meta-data for their user uploaded videos. It's server controlled (because it will affect their bandwidth usage).

WebKit can be heavy weight if Sony use the stock version. But Apple still did it all within 1GB. There are many design choices. I think many are curious how the resources are being deployed.

On PS3, some games embed their own version of WebKit. It should be possible for developers to do the same in PS4 (Cue my Maps + GT5 integration again).

Yeah, but my iPad 3 has 1GB in total, and is fine for all of these things, suspending and reloading stuff when needed. It has a higher native res too. Sure, when supporting 4k the consoles need 25% extra, but if Sony is about games first, then give games priority in the memory allocation ...
This is interesting, I also have the iPad 3 and I find it frequently shuts down tabs due to running out of memory. It's not often I can keep more than 5 or 6 open and if I switch out, do something, then switch back? A few will have disappeared.

Snubbed out in their prime :cry:

The pages will reload when the device is out of memory.

I have disappearing tabs before if I left them there for months but it looks like a bug.

On my iPad, I usually have 10-13 tabs opened.

EDIT: I have 70 apps (including the desktop) in suspend mode as we speak.

Disappointed in what exactly?. That the OS is only using 1GB (possibly 2)?. Its a bit of a reach to be disappointed in something like that.

He's a fairly extreme Xbox fanboy (look at previous posts).

I don't see why they'd reserve so much during gameplay for these functions. if you can't get the tips you need or need to watch a long video, you need a separate PC/table/phone. I put Win 8 on an older laptop with only 2 GB RAm and I have 10+ tabs open all the time in Chrome and never have seen the RAM usage go above 1.4 gigs.

somebody said 5gb all along :p

but some just didn't want to believe...

btw the reason i thought 5gb was not the kz postmortem, as i chalked that up to being on some wonky early dev kit with split memory. rather it was some post on neogaf, that led back to some pretty convincing posts on a chinese bbs from a apparent dev who stated 5gb was available to games on ps4.

i expect both consoles will free up some of that over time, but will end up with similar ram available in general at any given time.

Haha, looking at Blow's twit feed I find this
Jonathan Blow ‏@Jonathan_Blow 18h

For those asking: 8GB seems like a lot if you are used to consoles with 512MB, but it really isn't that much for, say, a modern PC.

Basically he's already griping about 8GB. And I kind of agree with him. Funny when we all thought 8GB was a monstrous, impossible amount for next gen...

I'll believe you as soon as Sony announces it runs an Android(like) VM in paralel.

I'll believe you as soon as Sony announces it runs an Android(like) VM in paralel.

I hear ya. I don't understand what SCE plans to do with it, and I'm quite confident whatever they plan to use it for has not been shown or is in anyway related to the Share functionality (for reasons I've previously stated). But, as it stands, verifiable evidence shows 5 GB available for games at the moment (and I don't count the "chinese developer source" as verifiable or even credible at the moment).

I hear ya. I don't understand what SCE plans to do with it, and I'm quite confident whatever they plan to use it for has not been shown or is in anyway related to the Share functionality (for reasons I've previously stated). But, as it stands, verifiable evidence shows 5 GB available for games at the moment (and I don't count the "chinese developer source" as verifiable or even credible at the moment).

Maybe they'll have Home 2.0 in memory at all times after all ... :LOL: (this prompted by Shifty's comments in the Home thread)

The game allocation and OS memory usage can be 2 separate questions.

That Chinese dude wasn't ignored. He said that a game can use 5 GB, not counting heap and system services. Unfortunately he didn't elaborate further. e.g., Sounds like the game has exclusive 5GB but can still access additional heap memory (shared with others ?). Or he could mean strictly 5GB ?

If Blow doesn't want to handle streaming, how is he going to manage loading the game? Load the whole thing up front with ZX Spectrum type load times?!

He can probably design the game such that the first few levels use what's loaded.

Just finished watching WWDC live stream, funny that they talk about compressed memory, multitasking too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back