Phil Spencer Goes Down Under

You could argue that he was inferring this even though he didn't state it (as a fact or in any other way), but tweets are such a lossy way of communicating that I think it's best to try not infer too much (even though I'm sure we all end up doing it from time to time!).
It's an ambiguous tweet for sure and I read it as though Microsoft delivered FFXV and will deliver more Japanese games. You can infer other meaning from it.

I think you're confused. Larry Hryb aka "Major Nelson" is officially Director of Programming for Xbox Live. His job hasn't changed since 2003. Phil Spencer took over as Head of Xbox back in March 2014 8 months after Don Mattrick left the company. Before that Phil was head of Microsoft Studios. None of them are heads of PR. Yusuf Mehdi is the chief marketing and strategy officer for Xbox and Aaron Greenberg is head of Xbox Games marketing.

Tommy McClain

Thanks for the update but look at this, and tell me with a straight face that Spencer is NOT the head of PR:

L7Bykp1.jpg

I read his tweets more about the team than him, however he is the public figure head and in charge, if his team fail he fails.

Also he is visiting Japan, he needs to go regardless of role if they want to achieve anything.

Who needs more than 140 characters?
The stupidest part is you can add a photo at manybytes but are still limited to dumb character counts. I need to make a Twitter plugin that takes what you type and turns it into a .png...

Last edited:
The idea of a single mouthpiece for a company in a consumer engaging industry is arguably outdated. You want to hear from the hardware folks on issues regarding hardware a you want to hear from the software people when it comes to games. Phil Spencer clearly likes to communicate and as head of Xbox that's his prerogative.

Today on twitter, Phill Spencer, head of Xbox, said this generation is the best Xbox generation yet..

I didn't take him seriously anyway, but I found the statement amusing, and sad in a way.
I really miss Xbox 360.. playing Bioshock or Mass Effect for the first time :( we never knew how good we had it until it started to fall apart

Today on twitter, Phill Spencer, head of Xbox, said this generation is the best Xbox generation yet..

I didn't take him seriously anyway, but I found the statement amusing, and sad in a way.
I really miss Xbox 360.. playing Bioshock or Mass Effect for the first time :( we never knew how good we had it until it started to fall apart

For MS, it could be the best XBox generation, in regards to profit or turnover or number of game etc. Depends on what metric you are looking at.

For MS, it could be the best XBox generation, in regards to profit or turnover or number of game etc. Depends on what metric you are looking at.

Refusing to report Xbox division sales, claiming invented metrics such as MAU ("users who log on to a device at least once a month, not disclosing actual platform breakdown, not disclosing actual paying customers") are more important to measure platform success, tells me this might not be their best generation yet.

Unless you believe in the concept of MAU (vs actual sales, no of paying customers, revenue per customer, etc). In terms of MAU however, sure, it's their best ever. MAU for 2013, 2014 and 2015 was literally at 0, it did not exist. Now they are at about 50.000.000, so in such a short time they have really come a long way...

Here are a few metrics by which other companies disclose their performance/succes to the public and their investors:
-number of games
-number of exclusive games
-number of games sold
-marketshare
-number of consoles sold
-number of paying subscribers
-sales revenue
-profit

Compare this to MS this generation:
-MAU

So no, I believe Phil Spencer is wrong on this one.

Given:
The circumstances around og Xbox and why it was cut relatively short.
x360 dealing with rrod etc
I can easily see how x1 is their most successful generation yet, given measuring at same time frames.

Or do you think he meant projecting forward beyond how long x1 has been out?
Even then, they may be confident in what they have to offer, and feel it's best it's ever been.
Much harder for us to project as we have even less data to predict just how mid gen, xpa etc will actually turn out for them.

Refusing to report Xbox division sales, claiming invented metrics such as MAU ("users who log on to a device at least once a month, not disclosing actual platform breakdown, not disclosing actual paying customers") are more important to measure platform success, tells me this might not be their best generation yet.

But you do not know any of the data on any other metric. In the PR game with Sony, sure MAU might be the only "win" they have.
But as Jay mentions, they are competing much better than they did with XBox, there is no RRoD as it was on X360, they might be very happy with the execution and the turnover/profit on the XB1 vs the previous outings.

Their big problem with releasing the numbers that you are mentioning is that they will be compared to Sony's number and the general hysteria will then just say Sony is doing better, XBone is a failure. But it might be in a good place for MS, yes, they would love it being gangbusters and sell twice as many consoles as everybody else, but just because they don't does not mean that its a failure.

I doubt Sony/MS/Nintendo think of the game/console business is a zero sum game as many armchair critics/analysts paints it as.

But you do not know any of the data on any other metric. In the PR game with Sony, sure MAU might be the only "win" they have.
But as Jay mentions, they are competing much better than they did with XBox, there is no RRoD as it was on X360, they might be very happy with the execution and the turnover/profit on the XB1 vs the previous outings.

Their big problem with releasing the numbers that you are mentioning is that they will be compared to Sony's number and the general hysteria will then just say Sony is doing better, XBone is a failure. But it might be in a good place for MS, yes, they would love it being gangbusters and sell twice as many consoles as everybody else, but just because they don't does not mean that its a failure.

I doubt Sony/MS/Nintendo think of the game/console business is a zero sum game as many armchair critics/analysts paints it as.

So quoting myself, to pad my own ego here.

But a quick question in regards to success, the Wii from Nintendo, was that a success? And why was it a success? Number of units sold? Number of games sold? Contribution to Nintendos, bottom line? I seem to remember that Nintendo was running deeply in red at the end of the Wii lifecycle,

I would say that Xbox 360 was their best generation even with RROD. Xbox One has had a massive turnaround though...

I would say that Xbox 360 was their best generation even with RROD. Xbox One has had a massive turnaround though...

But this is about why Phil Spencer said that this was the best Xbox generation and not mpg1 :)

No, this is about Phil going down under, everything else is off topic.

Reactions: JPT
Back