PGR3 screens vs Real life screens of the samelocation :)

Did they reach their goal? Can someone post a realtime screenshot of finished game for comparison?

Here are some shots off screen. It is difficult to find clear HD shots in genreal unless the developer gives a framebuffer grab. I have not taken the time to compare the above shots with the walls in the game and compared to see the amount of fidelity drop, but this much can be said: PGR3 is very, very pretty. I know it can be hard to believe when certain people try to use unflatering shots like this as a representation of the game, but pick it up and give it a whirl. $30 at Wal*Mart -- and it comes with Forza Motorsport 1. 2 great racers for $30 is hard to beat :smile:

new2.jpg

new.jpg

new3-1.jpg

90ia3.jpg

Already in those screens you can see the buildings are quite detailed, so I guess the final game isn't that far off.

Now if only the game were rendered at a higher resolution with 4xAA, then it would fool everyone while playing. :D

Dude, you are driving WAAAAYYYY to slow.

And it would need 60FPS for that too. ;)

Yep. Still one of the best looking games on the market, specifically when playing in sunny situations.

No no no. Wait. That can't be right, 'cause they weren't using real 720p, right?

*are we done with this framebuffer crap now?*

It's such a shame you lose an tonne of detail in SD in PGR3. The texture filtering isn't exactly stunning.

My guess is all track geometry is loaded first, but only critical textures are loaded, as you can often visibly see the textures being streamed in, even just as the first frame is displayed. However there is never any geometry pop in.

My guess is they preallocate blocks of memory for different sizes of textures, say, 75 blocks 512x512, so many for 256x256, down and down etc. Swap textures between the levels upscaling/downscaling, streaming in higher res ones prioritised by their use, etc. Thats how I'd do it anyway. Not easy but would give awesome detail.

I tried to compare this game to motorstorm by running side by side videos the other day, and as far as I can recall it lost. Nonetheless it was an eyeopening next gen experience not to be forgotten at it's debut, and still my fave 360 game to date.
________
Teen Cams

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to compare this game to motorstorm by running side by side videos the other day, and as far as I can recall it lost.

It lost? What's that supposed to mean?

And where did you get real life photos from MotorStorm locations in the first place? :p

I tried to compare this game to motorstorm by running side by side videos the other day, and as far as I can recall it lost. Nonetheless it was an eyeopening next gen experience not to be forgotten at it's debut, and still my fave 360 game to date.

I see some problems with this sort of comparison...

Different genres of racing.
Different features and focus in the gameplay.
Different release points.
Playing > Watching.
And if dead set to compare (egads!) why not play uncompressed final versions next to eachother, side-by-side?
Oh... and mods keep closing threads for posts like this ;)

Anywho... the games are very different. The only thing they really have in common is tires, and in many cases not even the same number. Certain games are bound to draw comparisons (GT/Forza, Halo/KZ, Tekken/VF/DoA, etc) due to genre, gameplay, and hype generation. As per the OP, the I would tend toward the position that PGR3 has more world detail than Motorstorm that, based on the limited footage, doesn't appear to have as much variety or detail. On the other hand PGR3 lacks mud, massive collisions, dirk bikes, nitros, etc... It is like comparing a dog and cat because they each have 4 legs and are pets. Taste and preference is going to be a more significant factor than anything else.

So your comment seems to be a big derail, especially considering the topic was on world detail in PGR3, and yet you introduce another game, another platform, and change the focus from discussion of the detailed world assets to... "as far as I can recall it lost" :?:

As far as you can recall? If you are forgetting the details of a comparison from "the other day" you may want to see a doctor about that. Or start taking some Ginko :smile:

I think the lighting in motorstorm is phenomenal based on what I saw in the youtube videos. In terms of interactivity with teh environment until Colin Mcrae or Sega Rally come along, there really is no equal to Motorstorm on any platform right now.

I think the lighting in motorstorm is phenomenal based on what I saw in the youtube videos. In terms of interactivity with teh environment until Colin Mcrae or Sega Rally come along, there really is no equal to Motorstorm on any platform right now.

...I'd hate to ask the obvious, but um... is youtube a good source to make that sort of judgment :?:

or are you trying to rip my leg off? :oops:

To bad in reality PGR3 is a 1024x768 30fps rather dull looking game:

It really depends on where you are driving. I collected a number of ingame shots earlier in this thread. Not sure why you would select 1024x768 shots unless that is what your TV is limited to (native FB resolution before scaling is like 1024x600 I believe).

God bless photomode and high rez marketing shots, they give Xbox fans something to cling to.

Go look at the ingame shots above. I don't think there is any question that PGR3 is really nice looking. And they are behind the car / cockpit views instead of non-gaming angles like your shots.

i took this picture during photo mode, but before taking the photo, so that was while i was moving the camera around, real time graphics, and I don't find it dull at all, even today.

Photo-0040.jpg

Yeah, despite the resolution, I think it looks quite beautiful. The driver view really takes the cake for me. (They need some auto show babes :devilish: )

PRG3 looks stunning, my only gripe is that its perhaps the worst 360 game in terms of obvious lack of AF filtering.

Back