PGR3 screens vs Real life screens of the samelocation :)

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
Found some pictures of Real life locations and their PGR3 counterparts, im impressed.

post-2-1136978684.jpg

post-2-1136978873.jpg

post-2-1136978731.jpg

The bottom two screen comparison are so similar to real life that they could fool 99% of viewers into thinking that they were photgraphs...

Now if only the game were rendered at a higher resolution with 4xAA, then it would fool everyone while playing. :D

These shots are from PGR3s photo mode, aren't they? I've seen them before last year. But I agree that it's nice work ...

Now if only the game were rendered at a higher resolution with 4xAA, then it would fool everyone while playing. :D

Unfortunately these are stills and plus you dont tend to look up while driving at very high speed through a city ;) Its almost a waste. I'd prefer they get better lighting with "atmospherics" than more accurately mapped buildings in PGR4 ...

The bottom two screen comparison are so similar to real life that they could fool 99% of viewers into thinking that they were photgraphs...

Don't think so especially the first and second shot , the third shot almost fooled my mother though if it wasn’t for that tree

Unfortunately these are stills and plus you dont tend to look up while driving at very high speed through a city ;) Its almost a waste. I'd prefer they get better lighting with "atmospherics" than more accurately mapped buildings in PGR4 ...

hm... I guess with all that RAM they gotta fill it up somehow. :p It's too bad because that means longer load times, and they could probably get away with lower res buildings during the game. For the photo mode, they could go and fill up the RAM for all I care... :p

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the lighting/atmospheric effects be mutually exclusive with the textures, especially since the lighting is essentially static for everything but the cars?

You can see the work that went into mapping these locations. Quite a feat for the art department. Maybe they could license the resources out to other developers?

hm... I guess with all that RAM they gotta fill it up somehow. :p It's too bad because that means longer load times.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the lighting/atmospheric effects be mutually exclusive with the textures, especially since the lighting is essentially static for everything but the cars?

Short answer: I dunno. Not so short answer: I have never heard anyone say "mutually exclusive with" so I couldnt answer that part of your question. I think texturing and lighting go together but improved lighting is always a positive...

Heavenly Sword and discussions of ALan Wake and Halo 3 point to the use of atmospherics to provide accurate approximations of real world lighting situations instead of either ingame spotlights or non-directional lighting schemes..

hm... well I guess I mean that they could have both instead of one or the other , but thanks :)

edit: i.e. both the high res textures and awesome lighting for PGR4.

I suppose as a launch title they decided that high res textures would be easier to do since it has little impact on their struggle for getting 30fps :?: (that was what my question was about earlier) High hopes for PGR4. :)

It is a pretty convincing illusion. The light needs a little work and something needs to be done out the wiles and the trees and they'll fool a lot of people. Though one strange thing is the angle on the Epson building seems wrong. To put so much effort into and then to mess up on something like that seems a bit odd.

quick question: PGR3 loads the entire track to the RAM before we play right? (Atleast im 99,9% sure because of the long loadtimes and the fact that there is no "pop-up lag" even when you do the 700mph bug).

This means that they obviously got quite a lot of ram that they could have used more efficiently. Wouldnt it be better to stream the track on demand? We could higher quality things into the RAM that way :)

quick question: PGR3 loads the entire track to the RAM before we play right? (Atleast im 99,9% sure because of the long loadtimes and the fact that there is no "pop-up lag" even when you do the 700mph bug).

This means that they obviously got quite a lot of ram that they could have used more efficiently. Wouldnt it be better to stream the track on demand? We could higher quality things into the RAM that way :)

The sort of streaming to make it a good experience (i.e. no pop-up) would require careful tuning per track (and thus more development time) I would think. i.e. "how much do you stream in advance?" But...given the linearity of the track, you could possibly load the city in sections instead? It's a complicated trade-off, I think, because you're dealing with large assets and you're moving through the city at pretty high speeds. :p

Streaming the track on-demand would reduce the initial load time assuming the same assets. At least load up the first section, and then get the player in the game. Meanwhile stream the rest of the track.... As for streaming better assets... I don't think it'd be a particularly great idea; just look at Halo 2: I couldn't turn 180 degrees *quickly* without seeing pop-up. And keep in mind that Halo 2 used lower res textures, and the DVD-drive speed: amount of RAM ratio is better than on the 360.

looks incredible

Yep. Still one of the best looking games on the market, specifically when playing in sunny situations.

The lighting in the game is pretty good, if not one of the bright spots IMO. The HDR lighting, especially the iris effect, is some of the best I have seen in a game, period. A year later and I think they still stand out, which says a lot. Some taste involved, but very well down. And I love the locals. The unique world detail gives you a nice sense you don't get in many other racers. Feels very "organic" but in a concerete and steel kind of way ;)

Streaming the track on-demand would reduce the initial load time assuming the same assets. At least load up the first section, and then get the player in the game. Meanwhile stream the rest of the track.... As for streaming better assets... I don't think it'd be a particularly great idea; just look at Halo 2: I couldn't turn 180 degrees *quickly* without seeing pop-up. And keep in mind that Halo 2 used lower res textures, and the DVD-drive speed: amount of RAM ratio is better than on the 360.

But its not like we HAVE to stream just what we see right? We could make tradeoffs. Like stream sectors of the track. I mean all you have to do is to figure out what the fastest you can go in this game, then figure out how big\small the sectors (and how detailed) should be to prevent pop-up even if your going at 250mph.

If we find that sweetspot, it should (in theory atleast) allow us to have prettier graphics.

Acert93 said:
The lighting in the game is pretty good, if not one of the bright spots IMO. The HDR lighting, especially the iris effect, is some of the best I have seen in a game, period. A year later and I think they still stand out, which says a lot. Some taste involved, but very well down. And I love the locals. The unique world detail gives you a nice sense you don't get in many other racers. Feels very "organic" but in a concerete and steel kind of way ;)

Actually, the lighting was what i disliked most in this game, because it is totally oversaturated in many locations (e.g. driving out of a tunnel and you are blind, not very realistic imo). Just does not look realistically, more a comic like look imo.

But i never played it much, only touched the multiplayer now and then, but sold it after some months.

Does the game really look like that? I really haven't played PGR3.
Those pics are from the Bizarre "diary" that was running prior the PGR3 release, and I remember them saying something like "this is what the game will look in your TV"
Did they reach their goal? Can someone post a realtime screenshot of finished game for comparison?

PGR3 is a very good looking game. Before Gears, to me, it was stil the most impressive 360 game out and one I played tons.

Back