Pgr3 offical thread (post new shots here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukmahsik

Banned
*Sorry for new thread, last thread died. *

Last week we released a single screenshot from PGR3 which seemed to cause quite a stir all over the Internet...

Initially, people claimed it was just a photograph! I think people have pretty much come to the correct conclusion now though - this is what people can genuinely expect from the next generation of video games. Bizarre Creations are proud to be one of the developers leading the charge toward High Definition, and we're very pleased with the results so far.

As a small gift to all of you who still refuse to believe that last week's image was a real screenshot, here we have the wire-frame version of the same scene, captured from the same dev kit that the original screenshot was taken. After reading the comments from all over the web (ranging from "That's awesome" to "That's a fake!"), we felt we had to release something which proved we're not messing with you.

nyshotwire.jpg

Some people also claimed that we only showed this particular building because it's our most impressive. That's simply not true... and I wanted to work out a way to prove it to you. So as I wandered over to Chris's desk to get this wire-frame shot I decided that I would ask him to grab whatever was on his screen at that particular moment. After a couple of seconds of fiddling with his 360 controller to get the best angle, Chris rendered out this new shot for us. This is New York City again, in a slightly different area of town - and as with the shot last week, it's just a random street rather than a specific 'showpiece' area that some were worried about.

nyshot2.jpg

Yes, it is possible to get all areas of the game that need it up to this level of detail – that’s what you get for 2 years work with up to 35 artists here at Bizarre, plus additional help from outsourcing companies! Some areas (ie. those with simple buildings in real life) won’t be as detailed, but where buildings are that complex, the game will be that complex too. And in case you don’t believe me again, the wire frame screenshot is printed below, taken immediately afterwards from the same dev kit, by switching the game into wireframe mode.

This is how PGR3's artwork looks right now. On actual 360 hardware. Please bear in mind, however, that you're still looking at a work in progress video game, and that the final in-game effects and lighting aren't even in place yet. We're still a long way from the finish line, but things will only improve from this point on. Start preparing now, and save your pennies for a widescreen HDTV and surround sound system. Although the game will still look stellar on a regular TV, you'll get the best experience when you go High Def.

In other news, Roger (our super code monkey) did a small show 'n' tell for the team. He demonstrated some of the new effects that have recently been put into the game. A whole bunch of us crowded into the meeting room, and saw the game running in all it's 720p glory on a huge projector. Running into barriers and watching the crowd scatter in terror never gets old!

In our debug build, we can detach the camera and wander over the cityscape, without having to worry about driving our car to the particular bit of track we want to look at. It really helps when you need to get a good look at some of the buildings or other geometry in the game. Whilst I was whizzing about in the debug camera, I stumbled upon something really impressive...

When you zoom right up to the back of your car, you can actually see gases being vented from the engine! You notice heat haze at the back of your car's exhausts! It ripples the air around it, and gives the impression of heat blasting over the back bumper of your super car. (I'll try to get a screenshot of this soon). It's simply awesome - Should. Have. Sent. A. Poet.

Anyways, check back next week for more updates!

http://www.bizarreonline.net/index.php?action=fullnews&showcomments=1&id=32

{/sarcasm on/}What are you talking about, thats total crap. Star wars on my Atari 2600 is just as technically impressive {/sarcasm off/}

I don't see why people get their panties ina bunch over these, I'm sure GT5 on PS3 will look very simular(if not better) JUST as long as they dump AS much time and money into it as M$ is dumping into PGR3

But yea it looks kick ass, now if they would only take it out of the city and put it it the country side. I don't really care for racing in close quarters.

Now again that's next-gen. I like the fact that this company is holding our hand through the development cycle. It's neat. :)

I wouldn't mind jumping out of one of those windows if PGR next gen is at a blazing 30 Hz.....

Seriously, if they get 60 Hz, that's great. EA should take notes.

Mods/Author: can we get the title edited to "PGR 3 thread" or something? Maybe we can then keep this one unlocked and keep all PGR3 things in one place. It's frickin tiring seeing multiple new threads for every new screen.

Yes, yes its nice that these guys are putting alot detail in the buildings and all, but I want to see some more cars damn it! o_O

mckmas8808 said:
No seriously people need to wake up and realise what next-gen is all about. They need to stop down playing it.
No, people should continue to downplay so they will be pleasantly surprised.

Now all we need is a render of dozens of building simultaneously with physics, AI, etc, turned on and running at 60. ;)

- Z

No, people should continue to downplay so they will be pleasantly surprised.

Well I guess. I just don't like when people just technical reasons why something isn't possible and then weeks later they are proven wrong.

Nice to ehar that the crowds will react when you crash near them, very cool stuff. The only real problem with PGR2 besides the 30 fps(which I didn't mind but i know people pipe up) is that the environments were lifeless. This sounds totally immersive, can't wait for more info. :LOL:

Why's the pic in a 1112 x 960 resolution if it's supposed to be
This is how PGR3's artwork looks right now. On actual 360 hardware
That's not a resolution supported by xbox360.

Anyway, I don't doubt this is a devkit render, rendered in actual real devkit, just as for example the shots of Getaway on PS2 before it was released were from PS2 devkit ;)

Still, the building renders do look good, if indeed that's what next gen gaming will look on HD screen I'll be happy, kinda also gives hope the Killzone demo for PS3 could after all also be just what next gen games at their best look like ;)

Still, the building renders do look good, if indeed that's what next gen gaming will look on HD screen I'll be happy, kinda also gives hope the Killzone demo for PS3 could after all also be just what next gen games at their best look like

Oh no my friend the best is yet to come. The year of these system lifecycles will put the graphics for this screenshot to shame. Expect more. ;)

rabidrabbit said:
Why's the pic in a 1112 x 960 resolution if it's supposed to be
This is how PGR3's artwork looks right now. On actual 360 hardware
That's not a resolution supported by xbox360.
They probably can afford photoshop. They've cropped most of the images they've had in their updates.

mckmas8808 said:
Still, the building renders do look good, if indeed that's what next gen gaming will look on HD screen I'll be happy, kinda also gives hope the Killzone demo for PS3 could after all also be just what next gen games at their best look like

Oh no my friend the best is yet to come. The year of these system lifecycles will put the graphics for this screenshot to shame. Expect more. ;)
I don't know about to shame. DoA3 and Bouncer still are some of the best looking games last gen.

I'm just saying as far as the graphics go this is what we should expect from NextGen hardware. It will come down to the artist and how much time and $$$ they have to put into models,textures and animations. This next gen is gonna rock, especially if you own an HDTV and a DD stereo.

So, when do we get screenshots with amazingly detailed buildings, a wide-angle shot showing more than a 1/3 block and a bunch of cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back