Perspective correct texturing on DS?

ok, as i had some hazy recollections of seeing some warping somewhere in sc1 i just went for an extensive scrutiny of the matter over the vga. now, it did not reveal anything like that, instead, it revealed that sc1 on the dc has the best character shadows of the whole series! - the shadows cast by the characters on the stages' grounds are produced from the same high-polycount models, as opposed to the simplified shadow-casters in sc3 (that i've been plaing lately); evenmoreso, on the xianghua stage (emperor's garden, spring) the individual blossom petals carried by the wind cast a shadow each!

*enchanting silently 'namco, hallow be thy name...' *

darkblu said:
ok, as i had some hazy recollections of seeing some warping somewhere in sc1 i just went for an extensive scrutiny of the matter over the vga. now, it did not reveal anything like that, instead, it revealed that sc1 on the dc has the best character shadows of the whole series! - the shadows cast by the characters on the stages' grounds are produced from the same high-polycount models, as opposed to the simplified shadow-casters in sc3 (that i've been plaing lately); evenmoreso, on the xianghua stage (emperor's garden, spring) the individual blossom petals carried by the wind cast a shadow each!

*enchanting silently 'namco, hallow be thy name...' *

*GASP* DC is superior to Playstation 2! Except that in every other aspect, the Playstation 2 Soul Caliburs are more advanced.

I don't think it's that impressive on DC, it was essentially a port of a PSOne game with special attention paid to make it more than just a straight port. I'm sure you could take a lot of PSOne games and do some pretty impressive things to them, just because the DC and all systems after would have so much performance to burn. IMO, the most impressive DC fighter visually is DOA2, which actually doesn't look that far off from DOA3 and the other xbox DOA games. It would have been neat to see a custom designed Namco fighter for the Dreamcast though, I can't think of any high profile 3d fighters for the DC that were originally designed for it outside of DOA2 and the Power Stone series.

Fox5 said:
*GASP* DC is superior to Playstation 2! Except that in every other aspect, the Playstation 2 Soul Caliburs are more advanced.

fox5, holster the gun, i never said sc1 was superior to sc3. ..maybe to sc2 ; ) anyway, i was speaking of some particular effect, not the overall presentation. it just struck me so i expressed it on this board, no back thoughts here.

I don't think it's that impressive on DC, it was essentially a port of a PSOne game with special attention paid to make it more than just a straight port. I'm sure you could take a lot of PSOne games and do some pretty impressive things to them, just because the DC and all systems after would have so much performance to burn. IMO, the most impressive DC fighter visually is DOA2, which actually doesn't look that far off from DOA3 and the other xbox DOA games. It would have been neat to see a custom designed Namco fighter for the Dreamcast though, I can't think of any high profile 3d fighters for the DC that were originally designed for it outside of DOA2 and the Power Stone series.

sc1 is not exactly a psone port, more like an (large) evolutinary step from something originated on the psone - the engine may have been based off soul blade's, but the content is _way_ beyond psone level. and if your content is all genuine that's hardly a port. not to mention the engine is beyond psone either - did i mention the individual petals on the emperor's garden stage cast their own shadows? : )

darkblu said:
fox5, holster the gun, i never said sc1 was superior to sc3. ..maybe to sc2 ; ) anyway, i was speaking of some particular effect, not the overall presentation. it just struck me so i expressed it on this board, no back thoughts here.

sc1 is not exactly a psone port, more like an (large) evolutinary step from something originated on the psone - the engine may have been based off soul blade's, but the content is _way_ beyond psone level. and if your content is all genuine that's hardly a port. not to mention the engine is beyond psone either - did i mention the individual petals on the emperor's garden stage cast their own shadows? : )

There was an arcade version of Soul Calibur, and I believe it used hardware that was still PSX based (with much more memory and maybe 2-3x the power?) or custom and similar in capability to PSX, and the DC port was based on that. Considering the relatively low polygon counts of the characters and stages, I'd say the DC had the horsepower to spare on things like shadowing and lighting.

Fox5 said:
There was an arcade version of Soul Calibur, and I believe it used hardware that was still PSX based (with much more memory and maybe 2-3x the power?) or custom and similar in capability to PSX, and the DC port was based on that. Considering the relatively low polygon counts of the characters and stages, I'd say the DC had the horsepower to spare on things like shadowing and lighting.
Soul Calibur debuted on System 13 arcade hardware. But it's quite an impressive game, and for good reason. Namco had more experience with PowerVR hardware at that point than most other developers. They'd worked on (and subequently scrapped) a port of Rave Racer for PCX hardware, long before the Dreamcast, and were supposedly planning on following up the System 22 arcade hardware with a PowerVR based "System 23". I think there's some contributors to this thread that might be able to verify or refute the validity of that old rumor.

Fox5 said:

are you saying the dc version uses the assets from that arcade version and adds lighting and detailed shadows? if so i totally disagree. stages may have been somewhat reused, but the characters are very far from what can be seen on those arcade screenshots. and keep in mind characters in sc use up the large portion of the poly budget.

compare sophitia from the arcade shots to sophitia from this dc shot and tell me these are the same assets.

considering the upping in polycounts and textures, i'd still say the dc version was hardly a port, or at least not in the sense of the word i use. the game code may have been largely reused, some lesser assets too, but the overhaul of the characters alone is a reason for me to say sc on the DC is not a port of that arcade original. of course that's just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fox5 said:
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=535&page=1#2513

System 12 (the site doesn't seem to even list a system 13) was PSX based.

There also is a System 23.
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=539
But it doesn't appear console based, though by the graphics I'd still say closer to PSOne level than Dreamcast. (but the few games Namco actually did on Naomi don't look much better)
Sorry, I kept thinking System 12 was the PSX and System 13 was its slightly beefier successor. It was actually System 11 and System 12 respectively. And apparently, it was the System 33 that was to be the PowerVR-based hardware that was supposed to replace the Super System 22 hardware. Man, arcade's been dead so long I forgot all my board names. I even forgot that the "rumor" had already been confirmed.

Simon F said:
Oh that beast. Yes I was involved in that project and, in fact, I have one of those boards gathering dust in a cupboard here. It also had 3 slots which could each take another MIPS 5000 on a small daughter card. That was back in the days when the HSR/Visibility part of the system (ISP) was in a separate chip (Sabre) to the texturing and shading (TSP) chip (Texas).

Back